Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Explanation of Swiss Rails Half Fare pass

Old May 27th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

We will be traveling to Switzerland for nine days in October and plan on staying exclusively in that country. We are trying to figure out the best and cheapest way to travel. The Swiss Rail website mentions a "Half Fare" card, but I'm not very clear on how that card works or if it is the best option. Has anyone used one? Can anyone give recommendations on the cheapest way to travel in Switzerland? We are still working on our itinerary.
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:10 AM

Hi cometstarmoon,

Yes, I always use the Half Fare Card when I travel in Switzerland. The one-month version costs 99 chf and gives you half off every train, ferry, and cable for for that month.

You can buy it at most large train stations, including the ones at the airports, or online through

www.swisstravelsystem.com

Hope this clears it up.

s
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:42 AM
P_M

I have also used the half fare card. After buying your half fare card you will get your tickets for half price, but be sure to let the clerk know you have a half fare card. Also when you are on the train the conductor will ask to see your half fare card along with your ticket.

swandav: RATS, I didn't know it applied to ferries, I could have used it on my Lake Geneva ride. Oh well, live and learn.
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:02 AM

If you would honestly LIKE to talk to someone directly about the various options including the half fare card you might consider calling Byron at Budget Europe Travel (they deal exclusively with rail travel) and there will be no pressure for you to buy anything..

800-441-2387
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response everyone. It seems fairly common sense looking at the website, but I just needed someone to rewrite it for me!