Madrid Airport transportation

Feb 6th, 2007, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

Madrid Airport transportation

Any thoughts and ideas on getting from Terminal 4 into the city would be appreciated. I've read so many horror stories. Thanks
Feb 6th, 2007, 02:52 AM

Easiest/less stressful: taxi. Also most expensive, but often worth it.

If you want public, find out which metro stop you need to get off at, take the T4 bus to the metro, then subway it to where you need.
Feb 7th, 2007, 02:02 PM

Getting from Madrid Barajas T4 into the city is quite easy but does take some time.

Upon collecting your luggage you can walk outside and get a taxi immediately. That's the fastest and easiest way, taking about 30-40 minutes and costing 25-35 Euros.

You can also take the metro but first you have to take the underground train to the main airport (T2) and then walk quite a distance to the metro station. I'd guess it would take roughly 30-40 minutes to get to the metro station at the airport from T4 and then another, probably, 45-60 minutes getting to your hotel. So add 30/40 to 45/60 and that takes you about 45-100 minutes to get from T4 to downtown as you'll have to change metro trains at least once and probably twice (or more) along the way. It's cheap though: 1.00 Euros for a one-trip ticket but I'd recommend purchasing the 10-trip MetroBus ticket for 6.40 Euros if you're staying a few days.

Best of luck!

Saludos, MadridMan/BarcelonaMan
Feb 7th, 2007, 03:11 PM

Nice website, MadridMan--I came across it while googling Madrid for a trip this October. Happy travels!
Feb 7th, 2007, 03:50 PM

This last November, it took me 1.5 hours from leaving the baggage claim area to arriving at Atocha train station via the Metro. I first took the shuttle bus to T1 and bought my train ticket to Toledo. Then I took the shuttle to T2 (cut the walking in half) then took the Metro, 1 euro. There were two train changes. These were challenging because of all the stairs to the different levels.

Cut out about 20 minutes for my train ticket purchase and it would have been just over an hour to Atocha. If I had gone directly to the my hotel in Madrid, it would have been about 50 minutes of travel time.