Madrid - Prado - transportation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings fellow Fodorites! I have an 11 hour layover in Madrid (7:20 arrival with a 6:35 p.m. departure) and was hoping to travel over to the Prado. What is the most affordable method of transportation that won't half a day to get me there? Any thoughts?
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 07:32 PM

Take the metro straight from the airport. Cheap, simple, fast.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 10:54 PM

The metro is the most affordable, but it is not the simplest way. There is not a metro stop near enough to the Prado to do it in only a couple of changes.

I think that 111op did it sometime last autumn during the Patinir exhibition. But he was under much more of a time constraint than you.

I know that one of the solutions I came up was metro up to Nuevos Ministerios, and get out and get one of the buses going down the Castellana ( 27 or so ).

Bye, Cova
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 02:29 AM

my favorite way..
take the RED bus outside terminal 1,2 3 or 4.
it is an EMT bus for 1 euro.

get off at last stop (underground ) at the intercambiador de avenida america). this may take 12-15 minutes.

go upstairs and take a 5 -6 euro taxi to the prado. letīs you off at the door!

i wrote a short report on this but canīt find it! sorry. the numbers are 200 or 204.. not sure. it is posted on the sign.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 04:07 AM
car

Metro to Nuevos Ministerios and Bus 27 or 14 is perfect.

You can use
http://www.ctm-madrid.es/como_ir_a/como_ir_a_ppal.jsp for time calculations.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I believe I can do it now. Have a great day!
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 07:54 AM

museumlover,
Plan on this trip via metro/bus to take about 45 minutes (I just did it last week).

When you exit the very large (and a bit confusing) Nuevos Ministerios metro station (take the Castellana Blvd. exit door), you'll see the bus stop across and down the street from the enormous El Corte Inglés depart. store The bus stop faces the Castellana Blvd. and in front of you, across the boulevard you'll see a Mutua Madrileña office tower.

You need to get off the bus right past the Plaza del Neptuno, once you've past the Hotel Westin Palace, Starbucks, VIPS and Hotel NH Paseo del Prado. Just watch the red letters on the display above the bus driver and exit when you see "Neptuno". You'll see the Prado right across the boulevard.

Total cost on metro/bus:

From Terminal 4: 3 euros.
From Terminals 1-2-3: 2 euros (to ride the metro from T4 to T1 costs an extra euro), and bus fare is a euro.

Another way would be the metro to Nuevos Ministerios, then taxi (6-7 euros) directly to the Prado entrance.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 02:35 PM

Maribel, the price would be the same from any of the terminals.

There is a supplement of 1 euro to/from the airport ( T1 to T4 ) unless you have a yearly or monthly abonnement or a tourist card. The extra suplement is mandatory for single tickets or for the 10 journeys metrobus card.

If they take the bus option mentioned by Lin ( I think it is the 204, not sure right now ), they wouldnīt have to pay the supplement. Although I wouldnīt recommend it at that time in the morning, specially on a weekday. Rush hour.

BTW, museumlover, which day is your layover? It would be a pity if it was the museum closing day, although you could always pop over to the new Caixaforum, with an amazing Uffizi exhibition right now.

Bye, Cova
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

I will be in Madrid on a Tuesday in May. According to Fodors travel book the museum is open on Tuesday (is that right?).

Dear Maribel: Did you go to the Prado? I'm most interested in the classics. I'm not big on modern art. Any tips on the Prado? Can you exit for a quick lunch and then return on the same ticket? If so, any tips on a quick lunch? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Happy travels!
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 07:49 AM
yk

hi museumlover-

I was at the Prado last month. I enjoy art museums a lot, and I spent 6 hours at the Prado.

It is strongest in Spanish paintings (duh) - lots of Velazquez, Goya, Murillo and Zurbaran. It has a good # of El Grecos.

It also an a good Flemish collection - and has the largest collection of Borch in the world.

I ate at the museum cafe. It is self-service. One can choose a la carte, or do their menu del dia for €14,65. It includes 3 courses plus bread and a drink. The food was pretty good.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 07:50 AM
yk

Sorry, typo above. I meant to type Bosch (not Borch), as in Hieronymus Bosch.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 07:52 AM
yk

Last comment to add: Prado has a decent Renaissance collection too. I'm not a big fan of Italian Renaissance, so that's why I forgot to mention it above.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:23 PM

museumlover,
I was confused about the supplement from the airport. Yep, you pay a mandatory 1 euro supplement from either T4 or T1-2-3, as cova (as always) correctly states.

The Prado is open on Tuesdays, while the Reina Sofía is closed.

No, you can't exit to have lunch then come back. That would require another entrance fee.

I would do the metro to Nuevos Ministerios then bus, as car and cova suggest, rather than the slower airport to Avenida de América bus simply because early morning commuter traffic on the Avda de América can
really slow that bus down. (We know from experience-it's bad even doing a reverse commute).

If you love the classics, you'll be in pure heaven at the Prado with its fabulous Spanish Baroque collection plus all the El Grecos and Goyas, and works by Rubens, Tintoretto, Titian,
El Bosco, etc. And the Spanish Art of the 19th century exhibit in the Rafael Moneo new wing is interesting as well, even if you don't recognize the painters.

If you have some extra time, you can easily cross the street after your Prado visit to see those treasures from the Ufizzi, "The Bread of the Angels" in 4 or so rooms on the 3rd floor of the new Caixa Forum.

These Italian Renaissance & Baroque works from the Uffizi are all based around the themes of Adam and Eve and the 1st sin, the Annunciation and Adoration of the Shepherds, the Last Supper, the Crucifixion and Resurrection. The first room has just gorgeous tapestries, and to see Botticelli's Virgin and Child is reason enough to walk across the Paseo del Prado. There are explanations in English in each room. Added bonus-it's free! We just saw it this morning. Open 10-8 daily.

There's also a handy cafetería (run by Arturo) on the 4th floor if you need a coffee break.

Their menú del día, served on the right side, only costs 12 euros, but I don't know how late it's served-probably until 3:30 or 4 pm.
Choices of 4 starters, 3 mains, plus bread, drink, dessert OR coffee. A good deal!

Old Apr 1st, 2008, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Everybody has been fantastic to share that tips with me. Thanks again and happy travels!