Lyme Regis to Lynton / Lynmouth Devon

Jan 19th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

Lyme Regis to Lynton / Lynmouth Devon

Hi, I will be staying at a cottage near Lyme Regis in Dorset and am wondering if it would be realistic to do a day trip to the Lynton/Lynmouth area in Devon. I have heard that these are really beautiful villages. Does anyone have any interesting routes or drive times?
Jan 20th, 2004, 04:31 AM

If you're heading there for the villages, I'd say that your time would be better spent exploring some of the many interesting villages nearer to Lyme Regis - on the Channel side. I dunno, I didn't find Lynton THAT attractive.

It'd take you the better part of two hours one way to Lynton - a scenic drive through the Exmoor Park. But that's if you drive straight through, and you should stop at Knightshayes Court and Dunster.

Near Lynton, there's a fantastic clifftop walk on the N. Devon Coast Path between Woody Bay and Hunter's Inn. But there's also great clifftop hikes along the S. Devon Coast Path near Lyme Regis, especially at Beer Head to the very nice village of Branscombe.
Jan 20th, 2004, 09:06 AM
JMM

I love Lyme Regis and area but in my opinion Lynton/Lynmouth has such spectacular coastal scenery that it really is worth a day trip for the walks.
Jan 20th, 2004, 09:15 AM

if by cottage you mean you are renting a cottage for a week - then sure, take a day trip over to Lynmouth. Also tour around South Devon and the moors too.

But if you are in Lyme Regis for just a couple of days - then no - there is more than enough to see in the immediate area.
Jan 20th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Yes, we will be staying at a cottage for one week near Lyme Regis. We have stayed at this cottage several times before and have already explored the local area. We absolutely love this area! To the east we have visited Hardy's Cottage, Corfu castle, Dorchester and T. E. Lawrence's cottage (Cloud's Hill) near Moreton. There is a wonderful little Church in Moreton. The stained glass was destroyed in the war and replaced with the most fantastic etched glass depicting the cosmos and others including a scene from a downed aircraft in WWII. We have actually returned to the church several times.

Jan 26th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I had to depart quickly. As I was saying, we have already explored many of the little villages around Dorset. We are only going to take one day trip away, and we have already done the Dartmoor area and the coast to include the towns of Dartmouth, Torquay and Sidmouth as well as the smaller villages around the area. We haven't been up to exmoor so I thought the Lynmouth/Linton area would be desireable, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.
Jan 26th, 2004, 04:58 PM

With your new information I might make another suggestion for a really good day trip. You could go to the New Forest - absolutely lovely scenery - visit Beaulieu and Bucklers Hard and/or over on the ferry to the Isle of Wight.

Jan 27th, 2004, 04:48 AM

Skyeval - I'd definitely recommend a day-trip to Exmoor - one of my favourite parts of the country.

The west Somerset/north Devon coast between Porlock and Lynmouth is very scenic. Make time for a walk along VALLEY OF THE ROCKS above Lynmouth for fine coastal views, - or along the river from Lynmouth to WATERSMEET.

Don't miss DUNSTER and the picture-postcard village of SELWORTHY en route. PORLOCK is also worth worth a stop.

You could plan a very attractive drive to include the Exe Valley ...
Go for it - you won't regret it.

Steve
Jan 27th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I think I feel confident to do the trip to the Exmoor/Lynmouth area and you have given me some wonderful new ideas. I have visited the New Forest area and it was lovely. Also, we have done the area around Jane Austen's house on route from the Surrey/Sussex area, however, I haven't been to the Isle of Wight. Is it possible to do a day trip without spending the night?
Jan 27th, 2004, 09:37 PM

yes - I've done it a couple of times. A day on the Isle is great - Osborne House, the Needles, Shanklin, the beaches along the east coast, etc are very doable as a day trip by ferry from Lymington. The ferry takes about 25 minutes and lands at Yarmouth with its castle and near some amazing viewpoints on the west end of the island.