Search

County Donegal

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
County Donegal

Hey all,

I am planning a trip to Ireland for my parents, brothers and myself to celebrate my father's 65th birthday.

We are interested in renting a holiday home or cottage for a few days while we're there. I've found one in Rathmullen.

Can anyone offers any thoughts or imput on this town, or perhaps suggestions on other places to stay?

I hope to hear from some experienced visitors.

Thanks.
Brian
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 05:05 PM

Hi Brian,
Rathmullen wouldn't be my choice in Donegal - there's simply better options and it's somewhat out of the way. We rented a townhouse there last year. It's nearly 30 minutes from there to Letterkenny and you go through Letterkenny to get anywhere.

The year before that we rented one of the 'Donegal Thatched Cottages' on Cruit Island. It was charming and larger than it looks from the outside. It's also a little out of the way, and not near a pub, but it's a really stunning location with the Atlantic on one side and a sheltered bay on the other. We'd go back there quite happily.

If I were going again I'd look at a lovely house in Mountcharles that I almost rented one year -http://www.donegalcottageholidays.com/okelly/index.htm or the Churchill area just west of Letterkenny or the area around Killybegs. I think this is a good website for all Donegal rentals: http://www.donegalcottageholidays.com/

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 09:30 AM

Bridoc10

Cottage rentals rent by the week. You will NOT want to that much time in Rathmullan. It is nice for a short visit, but you would be too far from the Donegal highlights, and the drive out there is slow. Better to stay near the major roads near Letterkenny, or better still, around Killybegs. There are many cottages around both areas. Most are fairly priced and comfortable. -- www.irelandnorthwest.ie
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 03:22 PM

on our trip this past June, everyone's favorite B&B was Castle Murray House on St. John's Point (inbetween Donegal town and Killybegs). Even if you don't stay there, but in the area, I would highly recommend the dinner...very special...wonderful views. great for a special occasion dinner...we celebrated Father's Day here.

in Donegal...we spent one night in the southern section (at above) and two nights just north of Letterkenney which was a nice location to tour Glenveagh National Park and Castle and we also took a day trip from there to Derry/Dunluce Castle/and Giant's Causeway...there are also some scenic drives along the northern coast that I have read about here on fodor's that sound interesting
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank to all for their responses.

With a little more research, I think I agree with you that Rathmullan isn't the right choice. Ideally, I'd love to be within walking distance of pubs and restaurants. This trip involves not only Mom and Dad (who are known to down a pint or a few), but also my 20-something younger brothers. We definitely don't want to be too far away from the action.

I'm reconsidering Donegal as the short-term stay location. Any other suggestions, perhaps in the Galway area, would be most welcomed.

Thanks!
Brian
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 08:20 PM

Hi Brian,
We do love Donegal and the area around Killybegs & St. John's Point is stunning. Plenty to do for a week and literally any town will have a great pub. Rathmullen, while out of the way, had a cozy pub where we spent a perfect, rainy afternoon by a coal fire talking politics with someone from Belfast.

Our favorite area for a week's stay is Westport. Lots and lots to do, many great pubs. Quiet ones for your parents and wild ones for your brothers. My 23-year old daughter loved it! Good music scene. Beautiful day trips.

I thought one night in Galway was plenty. Given the great places in Ireland I'm not sure why people go there.

Old Nov 1st, 2006, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

rosetravels, etc.

I've looked into Westport and it looks fantastic. Thank you so much for the suggestion.

If you have specific day trip ideas from Westport as the homebase, I would love to hear them.

In addition, my father is an avid fisherman. Any suggestions on guides or outfitters for fishing in the area would be most appreciated as well.

Brian
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 09:28 PM

Brian,
Our day trips from Westport:
1) Climbed to the top of Croagh Patrick (OMG - really steep)
2) took the boat to Clare Island (I loved this - it was my favorite day trip from Westport) and walked all around.
3) Drove to Anchill Island and climbed to the top - lovely.
4) My husband went on a serious hiking adventure to the top of Mweelrea, out of the Doo Lough Valley. His photos were stunning.
5) We drove to Strokestown, which I don't recommend simply because it was a long drive. We went there because my husband's family was from a nearby village. Stopped at Foxford but the factory was closed.
6) We drove to Killary Harbor and to Connemara Park and it was all right. Stopped at Kylemore Abbey.

I wish we'd gone to the Mullet peninsula for a day, but our days were filled with other things. We drove by there on the way to Donegal (Rathmullen) and it looked beautiful.

Fishing: there's a fishing lodge near Westport that has the most amazing website - Delphi Lodge. We stopped by there on one of our drives out of Westport as we thought we'd want to stay there someday (it's really expensive.) But...it just didn't strike my fancy when I saw it in person, maybe it was just me. Anyway, they say the fishing is good there!
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:40 AM

Hi Rose, my family is from a village near Strokestown also. It doesn't exist anymore ... toberpatrick

Bill
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:55 AM

Bridoc:

Ye'll love Westport, b'gorrah! It has become our favorite in the west of Ireland...stayed at the famed Olde Railway Hotel last time and we would return there in the future. Elegant old place where William Makepeace Thackeray loved to stay..even has a room the size of a suite named for him...and we happened to get it! Ask for it, for Dad and Mom...one floor up.

Wesport has all of that list above that RoseTravels suggests...fun and colorful area, indeed. Take the walk up Croagh Patrick...guaranteed to super-energize you!

Stu T.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 10:02 PM

Bill - coincidences abound in Ireland! I think the town my mother-in-law's family is from is Ballintober. I wonder if it's near the former Toberpatrick?

Oddly at Strokestown the guide looked EXACTLY like my husband's aunt. They could have been twins. She was mortified but agreed to let me take a picture to show the family back home.

Croagh Patrick - super energize is right! Stu - what do the Irish have against switchbacks on trails? Must they go straight up and down? We'd rented a 2 story townhouse in Westport and it was painful getting up and down the stairs the next couple of days!

But oh so worth it
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 06:37 AM

Rose: The day we challenged Croagh Patrick, many folks were walking BAREFOOT...I was told that this is a custom. No, I didn't shed my NB's...
Stu T.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 06:41 PM

Stu - we joked a lot about climbing barefoot. We just saw one true and barefoot pilgrim - turned out he was from Seattle.

Ouch - a scree slope in bare feet...