First time visitors need help with plans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are arriving at Shannon, Sept 11, we are renting a car and plan to visit the west region, stopping in Kinvara the first night, after seeing cliffs of Moher and the Burren. Is this over reaching? We have a B&B on Inis Mor for the 12th. We than hope to head to the Northwest region hoping to see Ard an Ratha, stay at the Green Gate B&B. than head south to Cong and into the eastern Midlands. Please advise, thanks in advance
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 02:59 PM

Harley,

If you are coming from the east coast, jet lag will be less of a factor than from the midwest or west coast. That being said, either Kinvara or Doolin are a good stopping point. You could also take the coast road up through the Cliffs of Moher, have lunch in Doolin, drive the Burren and Stay overnight either in Galway or Spiddal. The rest of your plan looks good, as far as Cong. I am not sure from there if you are flying out of Dublin or Shannon, which will make a difference on which direction to send you. Another factor, how many days do you have on the ground in Irlena, not counting travel days?

Slan Go Foill,

Bit Devine
Cowboy Craic
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 05:11 PM

I think you have a good start. Kinvara is a lovely little town. It is one of MaryZ.'s favorite.

z

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 12:28 PM

You're not over reaching at all as long as you make many stops, which shouldn't be hard in that area. It would be interesting to know how long you are staying.

Bill
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:02 AM

just wandering if you are staying at the Green Gate B&B in Ardara,Donegal...

looked it up and it seems that the owner is a bit controversial and does not like renting to Americans...since many are not happy with the rustic accomodations and leave...tho has gotten some good reviews also...guess you just have to be open...let us know how it turns out!

if you want a dream stay in Donegal...we loved the Castle Murray House on St. John's Point ....quiet, romantic, great food, has a little pub, heavenly views from comfy chairs and scenic walks by the bay...our favorite B&B from our stay last June.

the Donegal coast is wonderful...we enjoyed our drive out to Glencolumcille as well as a visit to Glenveagh National Park and castle.

prior to Donegal we stayed in Westport (toured connemara, doo lough valley, croagh Patrick, Kylemore Abbey from there)then drove north to Donegal.

on the way north we stopped at Carrowmore Megalithic Cemetary, Drumcliff, Belleek, and Tully Castle (along the southern edge of Lower Lough Erne).

on our way back south we enjoyed stop in Knock

in Cong be sure to explore the path behind the Abbey...nice coffee shop across from abbey

don't know where exactly you are traveling to in the midlands...have enjoyed stops at Clonmacnoise

tip...if you have that wonderful 6am arrival at shannon...head out to the burren and enjoy the area and the poulnabrone dolmen without the tour busses...we only had to share with a couple of sheep

I have pictures of my june trip on an earlier post that includes many of the areas you visiting in case you care to check them out.