Search

A day in Geneva

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A day in Geneva

My family and I will have an opportunity to spend the afternoon (from 1pm on) of one day and until 4pm of the following day in Geneva. The time is March, the days are Saturday afternoon and Sunday until 4pm, we will be traveling with our 7 year old and have never been in Geneva.

What are the "must sees"? Would Sunday restrict our abilities to see things?

Thanks

Old Feb 8th, 2007, 03:32 AM

Geneva is a pleasant, if businesslike city. Truthfully I was not expecting much on our short stay in Geneva, as I find most Swiss cities a bit - I don't know - antiseptic I guess.

It turns out that we found it to be very enjoyable for a quick visit. Most of the tourist sights are within the old town which is on the right bank of the lake and Rhone river - the train station is on the Left bank along with the business end of Geneva. The old town is a very well preseved tangle of narrow medieval streets and squares. Strolling through the old town is a very agreeable way to pass the better part of a day. There are a few good museums nearby also, but we only went into the Arts and History museum which I highly recommend.

I'd say if there is one must-see sight, it would be a walk along the promenade fronting the river with views of the Jet d'Eau. There is a nice park along the way that is a good place for a picnic lunch.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 03:45 AM

Hi ErikJW,

If you have the time, take the train to Montreux and then walk along the lakeside promenade to the castle of Chillon (about an hour's walk). You can take the bus back, or fortify yourself with lunch at a cafe and then walk back.

s
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 04:17 AM

I think your 7 year old might enjoy the historical museum, Maison Tavel. There is a wonderful model of Geneva in the early 1900's that fills an entire room and you can press buttons that highlight spots in the city.

http://www.ville-ge.ch/musinfo/mahg/...vel/tavel.html
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 04:48 AM

During your visit in the old town, if the weather is good, climb to the top of the tower of Cathedral St.Pierre. You will enjoy the view of not only the city of Geneva but le Lac Léman, the biggest lake in the Western Europe, I think. I think, because I have never done that myself living in Geneva since 20 years (shame on me!) but a friend of mine (a real Genevois born here) suggested just today we do it once because we both have bought a new camera and we can try it.

Again if the weather is fine, walking along the lake is a pleasant way to pass the time. Combine it with a boat ride. e.g., you can take a mouette boat (a bus ticket valid for that) from Hotel Hilton side (Right Bank) to Left Bank, on the Left Bank, enter two parks (Les Eaux-Vives with cafe/rest. of the same name and Le Grange/Rose Garden), walk back or you can continue you way on foot to the Old Town, etc. You can combine all this with museum visits proposed above. Geneva is such a small and compact city, that's no problem.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 05:26 AM

And kappa, thank you for giving me a reminder! How could I forget a great lunch at Les Bains des Paquis. It is where we can swim in the summer but is also a restaurant that won't be packed in March but is really fun if it is a sunny day because you sit outside and watch the boats, ducks, people, weather, etc. I love that place!

http://www.bains-des-paquis.ch/activites/buvette.html
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 06:39 AM

My kids enjoyed climbing the Cathederal, and then there was a little playground close to there that had equipment different than our playgrounds here, that they really liked. We also did the petite train, do they still have that? I enjoyed that because it gives a little naration of Geneva.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 07:24 AM

> do they still have that? I enjoyed that because it gives a little naration of Geneva.

They do. White one on the right bank and red one on the left bank including the old town and the Place Neuve.

Old Feb 8th, 2007, 08:43 AM

Given that you have a short time and a seven year old, I would keep it simple. The fountain is unmissable (literally). The cathedral St Pierre at the top of the old town, is worth the visit purely to climb the tower for the view (the top of the fountain is still higher that you even here). The yellow boats criss-cross the lake and provide a really cheap boat trip with short walks connecting the different boarding points. The major things in Geneva are of no interest to a seven year old (CERN, UN head quaters etc), so I would stick with the old town and the lake. You could even take a boat ride down to Lausanne and catch the train back - all very good value.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:08 AM

> You could even take a boat ride down to Lausanne and catch the train back

I hesitated to recommend boat rides (except the short ride "les mouettes" I mentioned above) as Erik family is travelling before the season, in March. But if you are interested, you can check boat schedule on :
www.cgn.ch

Mouettes are not part of cgn and a boat leaves like every 10 minutes only to cross the lake in Geneva city between Left and Right bank. A ride takes only 5 minutes. For tourists it's a quick and cheap fun. Jet d'Eau fountain mainly closed for the winter start working again traditionally in March at the time of Geneva Motor Show. That shoots up to over 120 meters and the mouettes route is pretty close to it so it's another fun if the Jet d'Eau is working.