Where to propose in Geneva

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2006, 02:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there. I hope someone can help me. I'm going to Geneva for 4 days in a couple of weeks time and intend to propose marriage to my beautiful girlfriend. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where would be a romantic place to do this? Maybe a romantic restaraunt or something else? I would really appreciate your ideas if you know Geneva.
Aside from that any other ideas on what to do to show her a great weekend?
Old May 2nd, 2006, 03:06 AM

Hi bonzo,

Well first I have to say that I've only spent a day in Geneva, and don't know it **at all**!

But there is an important church, the Cathedrale St Pierre, in the old town. I would say climb up the tower and propose up there.

For the rest of the weekend, I can recommend:

Go to Vevey to see the old town.

Go to Montreux to see the flowered promenade and the castle Chillon.

Go from Vevey to Chexbres and walk the vineyards.

Go to Morges to explore a delightful little town.

Be **sure** to take a ferry ride on the lake.

Go to Nyon to see the remnants of Roman ruins & the Roman museum.

Go to Gruyeres to explore the castle and eat the best cheese and the best cream (creme double) in your life.

Have fun!

s
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:18 AM

as usual swandav has excellent advice. Get out of Geneva. The other side of the lake is simply gorgeous- tiny picturesque towns that cling to the lake and wine trail from Lausanne to Vevey. Hop on a train and stop along the way several times, or walk the easy trail between towns. Have a nice lunch on a terrace overlooking the beautiful lake. Ply her with wine. Propose? Castle de Chillon in the St George Chapel! Try to go at a time when there aren't lots of loud tourists- say, when it first opens or before closing time (great time) Yep, slip into that chapel late afternoon after a day along the lake and you'll be in for a great night, lol. Have a wonderful time and best wishes.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Count me another fan of the area, who doesn't know Geneva at all!

If the weather is nice anywhere walking along along the quai (lakeside promonade) in the towns of Vevey or Montreux (or possibly Geneva, I'm not familiar with the waterfront there) with stunning views of Lac Leman and the mountains beyond, there are cafes right along lakeside.

Or maybe while out on a boat ride on the lake? Chateau de Chillon mentioned above is a fun idea.

L'Hermitage is a fabulous restaurant out beyond Montreux right on the lake (it's expensive but I think might be the kind of thing you have in mind).

There's the tram up the mountainside called Rocher de Naye that leaves from the Montreux trainstation and has a simple restaurant and amazing view from the top (but is often fogged in).

Within Geneva, I'd head to the Old Town. I've been in some very atmospheric restaurants there. Sorry don't know names, I was 'along for the ride' with friends in the area.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:36 AM

www.montreux.ch and to go the restaurant section

or maybe somewhere up in the vineyards above Lausanne. Darn, I was at an amazing restaurant up in the vineyards that would be perfect. I'll see if i can find the name. Or hopefully others might have ideas along these lines.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:00 AM

suze, was that restaurant IN a winery/vineyard? Or with a view? We had just a delightful lunch at the Auberge de Rivaz
http://www.montreux.ch/auberge-rivaz/
Honestly, one of the best lunches to date. But we also had Rick's very romantic fondue birthday lunch in the Hotel de Ville in Gruyeres overlooking the valley, right next to the castle (in Gruyeres) My husband claims it was his best lunch ever. That castle, too, is fabulous and the town is so much fun. Should find a lovely spot in the awesome gardens behind the castle to pop the question. Decisions, decisions.
http://www.gruyeres.ch/
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:06 AM

Hmmm... no this was more rural looking, up in the countryside...

but boy you guys are good!! That place looks lovely Linda. I've heard the name before. And the castle/town at Gruyeres is an excellent suggestion too.

I'll email Switzerland and ask about that other spot.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:20 AM

Oooh yes! I love the Auberge de Rivaz, have eaten there three times, I think, and used to include it on my long list of activities based in Montreux. Once I had an all-asparagus meal: asparagus salad, asparagus entree, etc (during the season!). It was tremendous!

One poster here spent time on leman based from the Auberge. So, suze, you may have heard of it from me or from the other poster.

s
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:11 AM

here's the response when i tried to describe where we'd been:

"cernigaulaz" (can't spell the place...it's in local, pidgeon french) with the great couple in charge. it's changed hands since.

otherwise it could have been the auberge de sonloup or the auberge de sonchaux.

and yes, l'hermitage is still around, right on the lake.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:50 PM

Bonzo,

In Genève: go as close as possible under the 'jet d'eau' (the huge water fountain propelling 500 litres of water per second to a height of 140 metres at a speed of 200 km per hour (124 miles/h). Tell her that life with you will be like that!
Go to Montreux, take the train to 'Rochers de Naye' by train,walk to the top (5 minutes) and propose in front of the immense Geneva lake panorama (on a clear day...).
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:10 AM

topping because i like this thread. tres romantic.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 04:47 PM

My vote for the absolutely most wonderful and romantic nearby lunch spot is the panoramic outdoor terrace restaurant at the Grand Hotel Park in Gstaad. Absolutely the most wonderful meal with a view anywhere. Not for the light of wallet, but worth every franc.
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for so many ideas. This was a better response than I expected (hopefully I'll be saying that again in a week's time!!) I'm gonna have a good search now into those ideas and I'll post a response here to tell you what I've decided. Thanks again everyone! I'm thinking restaraunt ideas rather than cheesy analogies of water jets!! good idea though anyway, cheers.
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:02 PM

oh yeah, bonzo, you'd better post again! LOL! We'll be back in Switzerland in 5 weeks, can't wait. Unfortunately, once you go, you just want to keep returning. Have a GREAT time! XOXOX Linda
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Original Poster

Hi there folks. Well I'm back. Everything was perfect in the end and I am now engaged to the girl I love!
I actually didn't know where exactly I was going to propose when we got there. I had remembered all your different ideas and was just hoping that one of them would work out well. My favourite before I went was the Gruyere option, and although we did go there- and what a place - that is not where it all happened.
I had thought we would probably go there on our first full day, but the weather was terrible. Almost a storm. So we jumped on a train, went to market in Vevey, then walked along the coast to Montreux. While there we nipped into the info place and the girl there told me about this nice wee restaurant in a place called Caux.
So we jumped on a tram to Caux, walked on up the hill in the pouring rain, not really knowing if we were even going the right way, until we eventually saw the place - Hostellerie de Caux. If you haven't been there before I strongly recommend it. As we walked in the door, soaking wet, one of the husband and wife team who owns the place - Rita - was sitting in front of a freshly stoked log fire. Normally through the windows you would be able to see an amazing view of Lake Leman across their outdoor veranda, but due to the rain both the view and the veranda were redundant. Halfway through Jean-Philippe's lovely meal he prepared us, I asked Melissa to marry me. She said yes through the tears, and I tell you no lie, no sooner was the ring on her finger than the sun came out all around us. Rita came over to refill our wine glasses and I thought I should explain to her why a previously happy girl was now sitting with tears running down her face, and when I told her that we had just gotten engaged, she then told us that the very same day was her and Jean-Philippes 18th wedding anniversary. What are the chances, eh?
So we took that as a good Omen.
Before we left Rita took a photo of us out on the now sun soaked veranda with the amazing view behind us.
On our last day the weather was so good that I am now sitting here back in the UK with a sunburnt head!!
Thankyou all very much for your help and suggestions.

Regards,
Graeme.