Lake Geneva area

Mar 25th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

Lake Geneva area

My wife and I will be training from the Italian Lakes region to Lake Geneva in the second week of May where we plan to spend about 5 days.
At the end of this time we train off to Frankfurt for our flight home.
We are undecided about where to base ourselves - in Geneva, at Lausanne or Montreaux or another of the lovely villages around the lake is our dilemma. We will be using public transport - buses, boats, rail.
We would appreciate any comments including "must see" places whilst we are there.
Mar 26th, 2010, 12:56 AM

Stay in Montreux or Vevey. Most scenic IMO and most "vacation" feel.

Must sees: Castle Chillon, stroll along the lakeside promenade in Montreux, cog-train to Rochers-de-Naye if the weather co-operates, wine tasting somewhere. Lausanne's cathedral, maybe the Olympic museum if you're interested. A boat trip on the lake. If time allows, castle and tiny town of Gruyere.
Mar 26th, 2010, 02:00 AM

I agree with everything that Ingo has said, though my preference would be Vevey over Montreux.
Mar 26th, 2010, 06:08 AM

Hi novir,

If you were going in high summer, then I would also say to head to Vevey in order to avoid the crowds. But in May, Montreux will be just divine. I favor Montreux because of the 11 km flowered lakeside promenade, where you can lose an afternoon on various benches and cafes watching the parade of folks going by.

Yes, Ingo's list is great -- I'd also add Gstaad (maybe combine with Gruyeres) and Morges. I don't think the wine villages of the Lavaux are very appealing in May, but if you do want to head there, Lutry is a wonderful place, or Rivaz.

Anyway, have fun!

s
Mar 26th, 2010, 06:14 AM

Possible trp up from Montreau to Rochers de Naye..views from the un-cloud shrouded top are spectacular not to mention the trip up.
Mar 26th, 2010, 04:13 PM

Vevey would be my pick! It's the most "Swiss" and residential feeling to me. Montreux is gorgeous but has a bit more of an international flair to it. Lausanne is a significantly larger city so not as easy to get your bearings. Vevey is the best choice (in my personal opinion) with great hotel options, twice weekly farmers market, gorgeous lakeside quai (promonade), excellent train and bus connections, etc.