Short trip to Geneva in June-Need recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2007, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My huusband, 14 year old daughter and I will be flying into Geneva in June. We are going primarily to visit our 18 year old son who is taking clsses in Talloire and living with a family. Since we will be there for only 5 days I would love to get recommendations as to where to stay in Geneva and what we should definately see as far as sight seeing is concerned and other restaurant, shopping, etc recommendations.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:55 AM

Hi rjbriskin,

I'm sure your son will have a lot of great recommendatins for you -- I bet this will be repeated information!

But here are a few things to consider --

Take the train to Montreux, then go down to the lake and walk along the flowered lakeside promenade to the Chillon castle, about 45 minutes. Take the ferry back to Montreux. Ferry schedules at www.cgn.ch, & see Chillon at www.chillon.ch.

Take the train to Vevey, then catch the "wine train" up to Chexbres. In Chexbres, walk downhill toward the lake, and you'll soon be in the vineyard trails of the Corniche Lavaux. You can walk to Rivaz and have a snack at the Auberge de Rivaz overlooking the lake or walk to St. Sapphorin. Information & maps at www.lavaux.ch (not in English).

Take the train to the lovely town of Morges, which has a lakeside park, a flowered lakeside promenade, and a cobbled pedestrian-only center street. Morges also has a castle with a museum inside of military armor.

Have fun!

s
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

swanday2000 thank you so much for your recommendations. My son just got there and is only there for a few weeks so he really did not have much to recommend so your suggestions are great. As for hotels, are you familiar with Hotel De La Paix?? Our travel agent is recommending it. Any other recommendations are certainly welcome and much appreciated.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:53 AM

Hi again,

I only spent one night in Geneva, and that was at the Hilton, so I don't have any recommendations.

I usually stay in Montreux!

s
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:08 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My recommendation mirrors the above. When I go to the Geneva area, I stay out in Vevey or Montreux (or Lausanne). All pretty towns right on the train line and Lac Leman approx. 1 hour outside Geneva.

The city of Geneva doesn't hold much interest for me... it's very large and "cold" feeling, more for business than pleasure.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:10 AM

Are you determined to stay at that level of accommodation? That hotel pretty much fronts the lake as I recall and charges reflect that.

For that matter, are you determined to stay IN Geneva?
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Dukey- I am now wondering if I should stay there the whole time. I plan on touring Geneva and the areas mentioned above on the train for 2 days and then we go to Talloires in France to pick up our son for 2 days. My son is now suggesting that maybe we should go to Provance for the 2 days that he is with us instead of going back to Geneva as I will have to bring him back to Talloires after we spend 2 days with him. What do you think?? Any ideas?
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:24 PM

Yes I would definitely stay around Lac Leman for the 2 days... Geneva, Morges, Lausanne, Vevey, Montreux are all spectacular.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:25 PM

oops, i'm worried maybe i am missing some logistics about picking up and returning your son to Talloire.