One day in Geneva

Search

One day in Geneva

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One day in Geneva

My boyfriend and I will have a one-day layover in Geneva and want to leave the airport and explore - although we will be tired and jet-lagged, so nothing too crazy. What should we do? Any good recommendations for lunch that are not too expensive? Thanks!
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 11:55 AM

Hi tiyul,

What time of year will you be going? Here are some recommendations --

Take the train to Morges, stroll down the cobblestone street, have a snack in a bakery, walk the promenade. Head back to Geneva by ferry (very reduced schedule in the winter).

Take the train to Montreux, stroll the flowered lakeside promenade to Chillon (about two miles), stopping every now and then for coffee & cafe at a lakeside cafe. Take the ferry to Vevey and stroll the old town, shop the antiques stores and papeteries. Find a dairy shop and buy some creme de Gruyeres. Take the train back.

Ferry schedules are at www.cgn.ch.

Here are my reviews of these activities (w/photos) I posted at another site:

Promenade Fleuri
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...reux_Vaud.html

Morges
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...rges_Vaud.html

Sorry, I have no suggestions for Geneva proper!

s
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 07:41 PM

Hi Tiyul,

Swandav has given great suggestions. The train station stop is right at the Geneva airport, so it is very easy to hop on and see some of the beautiful towns along Lake Geneva.

If you are strolling the lakeside promenade in Montreaux, you can also look for crepe stands - everything from savory cheese to nutella.

Happy travels!
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 06:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My suggestions are as above but Vevey is my favorite town (or Montreux).

At Geneva the train station is attached to the airport & the train ride is about 1 hour out to these beautiful towns along Lac Leman.

To my mind, they will be much more easy to explore and much more relaxing than Geneva itself. Vevey has lots of local cafes, a fondue restaurant, antique shops, strolling the lakeside quai (promonade), none expensive activities.

If you happen to be there these days you could even go to the wonderful AM outdoor farmers market (Vevey: along the pedestrian street on Tues and in the town square on Sat, Montreux: under the pergola on Fri).
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 08:47 AM

I agree with the other posts that you'll probably enjoy taking a train from the airport to one of the towns on the lake. I recommend Lausanne, a university town with a gorgeous cathedral and lots of nice walks and restaurants. A nice place for lunch just below the train station is Cafe de Grancy. Or if you want to have fondue, Vieux Ouchy on the lake promenade is good. Lausanne is 45 min from GVA. Check it out at wikitravel.org/en/Lausanne
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
you can find the tourist websites for these towns with addresses like:
www.vevey.ch
www.montreux.ch