Search

County Donegal Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
County Donegal Suggestions

Hi -

My January 30th trip is shaping up very well. I'm ecstatic to have been able to book nights at both Dromoland Castle and Ashford Castle at less than half price (which is still about as high as my budget goes!). It was incredible that the few available reduced-rate dates worked out perfectly with my schedule.

So, . . . we'll go from Shannan directly to Dromoland for the first night. It seems perfect because the castle is only eight miles from the airport -- and I won't want to do much driving after the very long overnight flight. The next day, we'll head to Couminole Cottage for three nights on the Dingle Peninsula.

Then, heading north, we'll spend a night at Ashford Castle. I'm hoping to visit Kylemore Abbey in that area.

Now comes the part where I need help. We'll have four nights before I have to be at the Sand Castle Hotel in Rossnowlough, where I'll be teaching. I'd considered "The Thatch" cottage, but I'm wavering, due a little weirdness about the price with the owner. (The price quoted was much higher than the web site. He agreed to give me the rate on the web site -- and then, changed his mind!)

So, IrishEyes (and others . . .) what are your suggestions in terms of lodgings AND sightseeing in Co. Donegal for four nights in February. My preference is to have a self-catering cottage as a base, but I'm open to other possibilities. Not sure how many B&B's will be comfortable with two men traveling together.

I know it's a large country and don't know which area would be best. We especially enjoy natural beauty, nature walks, and strolling through quaint towns. Nightlife is not important.

Thanks so much for your input!

PS. IrishEyes, I've moved this from my previous thread about the rental car, so that others looking for Co. Donegal info would be able to find it, as well.

Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 09:20 PM

That's great about the castle stays. I have toured both of them (very posh) but don't have the budget to stay. The grounds of Ashford are fantastic. Of course the gardens will not be at their best in Feb. Be sure to visit the tiny village of Cong and the Abbey. Rent the movie "The Quiet Man" as it was filmed in the village and the grounds of Ashford Castle.

Have you had a look at these websites?

http://www.donegalcottageholidays.com/

http://www.donegalthatchcottages.com/

I think that wojazz has stayed at the thatched ones. I will have to dig up his last trip report. They are very remote on an island you can drive to on the west coast of Donegal.

I stayed at a self-catering cottage in Rathmullan that was very nice. This is the website: http://www.rathmullancottages.com/ I stayed in a modern one but they do have other thatched cottages available.

B&Bs are fine with two men traveling together. It happens all the time, as well as two women traveling together. If you decide to go the B&B route it will be fine.

Letterkenny is very central for doing much of Donegal. Donegal town is much closer to Sand House Hotel so you may want to be a bit farther away. I can recommend B&Bs in Donegal town, Letterkenny, Dunganaghy and Killybegs. I will have to look and see what is open in Feb.

Once you know where you are staying you can plan your day trips.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 09:34 PM

Songdoc, I'm very happy for you being able to stay in the two castles. Good things happen to good people.
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 10:05 PM

Hi, me again, we stayed at the Sand Castle hotel too. I loved it. Our room faced the beach and nature gave us a good show. Wind, high waves, it was thrilling. Great hotel too. Will you be staying at the hotel? Good restaurant in the hotel!
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 01:40 PM

Just a note. It is the Sand "House" Hotel. Although Sand Castle would be an appropriate name also!
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Oops. Yes, it's the Sand "House" hotel. FYI, the hotel is closed for the winter, but is open only for the event where I'll be teaching.