Exmoor/Devon/Cornwall tips

Sep 14th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Exmoor/Devon/Cornwall tips

Next week we'll be staying in Lynmouth for four nights. We have a car. This is roughly what I have planned but I'd welcome any suggestions as neither my husband nor I have been.

Arrival day--tired from trip so I think we'll stick to Lynton and Lynmouth. We can poke around the towns and have some real ale! And ride the little railroad.

Day 2--walking the coast walks; does anyone have a favorite, presumably one with a pub on the way (or walks starting/ending at pubs). It looks like Minehead and Dunster and Dulverton are in the vicinity of our walking.

Day 3--drive down the coast with the final stop being Tintagel. Any towns in particular to stop in? I've read about Clovelly. I was thinking of South Moulton and Barnstaple because of the markets (are they like the French markets?) and Tapely Park Garden.

Day 4--drive down Totnes and take boat down river to Dartmouth, see Castle Drogo.

Somewhere we have to squeeze in Exeter because there's a pub where we can rent kayaks and if the weather's good, I'd really like to do that. And the cathedral looks beautiful too.
Sep 14th, 2007, 04:08 PM

Favorite coast walk?

The one from around Woody Bay to Hunter's Inn.

Also - from Padstow around the head to Trevone and back to Padstow.

Don't miss Clovelly. Exeter and Dartmouth are good ideas. You should try to get into the heart of Dartmoor - Lustleigh, Widecombe and Buckland to name a few...
Sep 14th, 2007, 05:42 PM

I definitely second TuckH's suggestion to spend some time prowling around Dartmoor. Amazing scenery and entirely different to what you will see on teh coast. Slow driving though so take your time. Your plns look good - annhig lives in the area so hopefully she will see your thread.
Sep 14th, 2007, 06:02 PM

Dunster is very quaint and although I love the beach there (after many, many childhood vacations actually every single one for 14 consecutive years) it's not that pretty but the village (nice pub opposite the 'round thatched thingy'...whatsit called? Anyway my best friend had a great lunch there this summer).
The view from Dunster castle is lovely.
Sep 14th, 2007, 06:03 PM

I meant the village IS pretty...
Sep 14th, 2007, 06:25 PM

sorry about not turning off the underline - only meant to underline the "amazing"
Sep 14th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Tuck, I think it will be hard not to visit a village named "Lustleigh." I bet the natives get tired of all the corny jokes at their expense! Thanks, I hadn't noticed it on any maps. I've been on the Hunter's Inn website and we are definitely going to stop in there. If I'm not mistaken, it's somewhere near Watersmeet?

Janis, I've plowed through an ancient copy of Lorna Doone (and endured the dreadful A&E movie) so I'm looking forward to seeing the Dartmoor landscape and Doone Valley, too.

Highflyer, I know only from website pictures but maybe you're thinking of the yarn building (or wool?) in the middle of town, in which case we'll have no trouble finding the good pub grub you're talking about.

Thanks, and if you can think of anything else, fire away.
Sep 14th, 2007, 08:19 PM

La, mermaid, this is turning into such a wonderful trip.
Will you be able to come back home?
Sep 14th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Scarlett! How is my favorite South American? I am so looking forward to seeing a part of England that I've missed on every other trip; you can't imagine. Look at this website at these wonderful pictures and you'll see why:

http://www.southcliffe.co.uk/exmoor_walks.html

If it all looks so good on the computer how can it not be better in person?
Sep 15th, 2007, 01:59 AM

Hi Mermaid - I second Tuck's walking suggestion. Take the lift up to Lynton and follow signs for 'Valley of the Rocks.' Spectacular scenery ...

http://www.walkscene.co.uk/England/D...ynmouth2zz.htm

The walk up the river from Lynmouth to Watersmeet is also lovely.

If you do the scenic drive over the top to Porlock/Dunster don't miss Selworthy enroute - a picture-postcard National Trust village of thatched cottages (- the cafe does a nice cream tea )

The Totnes-Dartmouth boat trip is lovely - past Agatha Christie's home.

You could get the 'round-robin' ticket - returning to Totnes by steam-train and bus via Paignton.

So many lovely options in that area really - you're spoilt for choice

Steve
Sep 15th, 2007, 04:25 AM

The Doone Valley (which is in Exmoor not Dartmoor) will disappoint I'm afraid. Hunter's Inn is just west of Woody Bay north of Parracombe; it's not near Watersmeet.
Sep 15th, 2007, 11:30 AM

Yes, it's the yarn market I was thinking of in Dunster.
Sounds like a great trip!