Search

Luggage Size

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luggage Size

I am traveling to Ireland soon and have heard that the limit for a piece of luggage is 62 inches. My question is does this measurement include the wheels when measuring the suitcase? If I don't count the wheels my measurement is 62 inches and over 62 inches when taking the wheels into account? If anyone can shed some light on this subject I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 01:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You will be at the mercy of the gate agent - probably would be OK , or possibly not. But that is a HUGE suitcase. What is the longest dimension -- 30", 32"? And how much does it weigh filled? Whatever, it will be a bear to manhandle around Ireland.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 01:48 PM

I was thinking besides the measurement of the luggage there is a maximum weight allowed. If you go over what that is you will be charged additional fees. Have you read the website of the airlines you are flying on pgs to see what their luggage rules are? If not I would do that.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

I realize about the weight issue and will have to be careful about that. That luggage is a 32X12X20 inch (counting the wheel assembly) piece. My question is does the wheel assembly count toward the 62 inch requirement? I can't take the wheels off this piece. Responses are appreciated.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 06:34 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Asked and answered. You will be at the mercy of the gate agent.

But in all honesty, a <b><u>32 inch</u></b> is nuts . . . . . .

I notice this is your first post - how are you traveling once you are in Ireland? Driving - a 32 incher won't fit in a small car. Trains - how will you get it on/off the trains?

And a full 32 inch suitcase - unless it is 1/2 empty, will be too heavy to have checked.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 07:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Almost all airlines have a suitcase weith restriction but most permit 2 checked suitcases per person. I guess the wieght restriction is to keep the ground crew from breaking their backs lifting suitcases.

What I have noticed is that the European airlines also weigh you carry-on luggage.

The funny thing is that it's possible that they'll check in you checked luggage and then weigh your carry-on. Since your only permitted one piece of carry-on (females can also have a rather large purse or bag holding your purse), what would you do if yours is overweight.

In Spain two years ago I removed items and put them into a plastic bag. Then upon leaving the check-in desk put them back into the carry-on. Not sure what that did.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 08:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That is a HUGE suitcase. Yes I believe the wheel mechanism counts in overall size. Also as already mentioned, you really do need to check on the weight allowance on the airline you're flying. If you really need that much space, take two normal size suitcases (22-26&quot.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 08:22 PM

Are you trying to ship somebody in that monster suitcase?
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 08:46 AM

Exactly - it sounds like a body bag. Can you even lift it if it's packed? How will you get it off the luggage carousel in the airport? Onto trains (doorways are often narrow and steps steep)?

And yes - the size is the size. But it won;t really matter - unless the suitcse is filled with packing peanuts there's no way it will meet the weight requirements (yes - put into effect to avoid all the bagge handlers injuring their backs/getting hernias by moving overweight luggage).
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 10:19 AM

I think the wheels and handle are usually supposed to be counted, but you could get lucky. Well, given you are so close, I'd try to put that into two bags, also. However, at that size, the excess is usually a fee, not that they won't allow it to be checked (that can happen at 115 inches).

SOmetimes people are moving or going somewhere for a long term, and that wouldn't be that unusual a size in that case. I'd probably still want two smaller ones, though.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 10:51 AM

Maybe someting long is being transported?

Once I had an item to fit a 26&quot; only, not smaller, so my suicase was only 2/3 full.

So it's not always possible to subdivide one huge suitcase into 2 smaller ones.