luggage allowance

Nov 17th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

luggage allowance

i am planning to travel overseas next month. i checked with airlines, they adviced me that i am allowed for 2 pieces of luggage 50 pounds each.
my question is : can i make one 45 pounds and the other 55 pounds?
thanks for your help.......
Nov 17th, 2010, 09:34 PM

Where are you traveling from and to where? Which airline? Even the 2 pieces of luggage sounds awful generous these days.

As for making one 45 pounds and one 55 pounds, the answer is almost certainly no.
Nov 17th, 2010, 09:51 PM

Where would you possibly need 100 lbs of luggage??

But in the very remote possibility that it is necessary - no bag can be over the limit. So a 55 lb bag will be overweight and cost extra.
Nov 17th, 2010, 10:04 PM

Where would you possibly need 100 lbs of luggage??

I've checked up to 210 pounds of luggage on more than one occasion.
Nov 18th, 2010, 01:18 AM

I can think of several reasons, some of which I have personal experience.

International relocation

Living in a third world country where if you need/want something, you have to take it in a suitcase (including food)

Different people have different needs.
Nov 18th, 2010, 03:19 AM

The weight restriction is on a "per bag" basis. When you go to check your luggage the airline will weigh each one separately. If one is over the limit you'll be charged an excess baggage fee for that bag. They ticket agent may or may not give you an opportunity to redistribute your belongings so that both checked bags are under the 50 lb. limit.
Nov 18th, 2010, 03:31 AM

I live in FLorida where one has to purchase stones and rocks for landscaping purposes (unless the design calls for limestone). So whenever I travel out of state I bring back as many rocks as possible. That's usually about 200 pounds in three small/medium duffles.

Typical bag checking conversation: Agent moving bag to conveyor: "What's in here, rocks?" "Yes, Ma'am."
Nov 18th, 2010, 04:07 AM

NoFlyZone.... lol lol lol!!! love it!

And yes, I have lots of experience with 3-70 pound suitcases, which I am allowed as a very frequent United flier.

I agree, it is 2-50 lb, not one 45 and one 55.

That said, DH and I will be flying on Swiss (within Europe) next Tuesday, and the baggage allowance is based on total weight for this short hop. I'd have to look it up for specific weight allowance, but DH will have one bag and I'll have two (one of which is HIS).
Nov 18th, 2010, 04:43 AM

That said, DH and I will be flying on Swiss (within Europe) next Tuesday, and the baggage allowance is based on total weight for this short hop.

This has long been the norm for European carriers, excluding their routes to North America. However, I believe there has been a bit of a shift toward the piece system lately.

I'd have to look it up for specific weight allowance

The standard economy luggage allowance on European carriers is either 20kg or 23kg. IIRC, Swiss is at 20kg.
Nov 18th, 2010, 06:33 AM

Yes, Swiss is 20kg, plus a carry-on bag. I printed out our eTickets today and it states 20kg each! I read the fine print and footnoted entries on the Swiss site. End of discussion! Hard to swallow after flying to AMS on UA and being allowed a lot more weight!!!

We're in the middle of packing right now, one 20kg check bag each, plus our carry-on bags. Tough travelling light. I, frankly, will shop after we've taken this short hop AMS-ZRH! On our return flight (from ZRH on UA) I can have my 3-70 lb bags, if they are needed. DH usually shops for books (lots of books, old and new) at our stops (after the short hop), plus various and sundry other European things he collects, and we will have a large rental car!

Back to packing. We leave tomorrow.
Nov 18th, 2010, 06:40 AM

Yes, Swiss is 20kg, plus a carry-on bag. I printed out our eTickets today and it states 20kg each!

You say that you are elite with UA; what level? Premier Executives and 1Ks get an additional 20kg as a Star Alliance Gold benefit.
Nov 18th, 2010, 10:17 AM

I'm 1K!!! I also thought that about Swiss/Star Alliance, but if you read the really fine print, it's for travel to/from USA, unless there is some other fine print I'm missing! Pls point it out, if you know what I should be reading. My eticket says 20k... ugh
Nov 18th, 2010, 11:37 AM

I think you are misreading the fine print (though it is poorly worded). I take the fine print to mean that the one extra bag benefit is for travel to/from the US, and that you otherwise get an extra 20kg. My experience mirrors that, as both the wife and I (both *Gold) checked more than 20kg on Swiss (and SAS and Lufthansa) on more than one occasion within the past couple of years, without any issues.
Nov 18th, 2010, 01:20 PM

Travelgourmet, I think we'll just have to give it a try! That 1K star gold card I carry so proudly should be good for something!! haha
Nov 19th, 2010, 02:04 PM

The limit is per bag, so no you can't check 45 + 55 without paying an overweight charge on the 55 bag.

100 is a huge amount of stuff for a regular vacation, so unless it's for a relocation or something out-of-the-ordinary as mentioned, I'd try to reduce your packing. Have you lifted a 50 lbs suitcase lately? Thinking of getting it into the airport, off of the baggage carousel, into the taxi, into the hotel, etc.
Nov 23rd, 2010, 11:31 PM

Quick update: travelgourmet, you were right. Swiss did not even bat an eyelast when I gave them my 1K/*gold card along with my passport at check-in, and then proceeded to put 3 bags on the scale/conveyor belt for the two of us. We had extra weight allowance left over! I'm going to remember this the next time I have an intra-European flight on a star alliance airline.

BTW, the Swiss A320 had probably the LEAST amount of leg room!!