Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance on internal uk flights please !

Nov 6th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Hi quick question we want to leave our car in Edinburgh fly to London for our flight home.
Our baggage allowance on Singapore Airlines is 30kg but I believe local flights are 20kg.
Is this correct? If so we may not be able to go this option. We have not flown on any of the local airlines within the UK so would not know who was good and who is not.
Appreciate any advise.

Deb
Nov 7th, 2010, 04:28 AM
J62

Each airline is different so you need to look at the total cost. (air fare + taxes + baggage fees) In some cases it may be worth paying for overweight baggage if the flight is cheap.
Nov 7th, 2010, 11:35 AM

I assume you're flying with Singapore from Heathrow. If so you should book your flight from Edinburgh to Heathrow with BMI as they are both members of the Star Alliance and you should be able to check your baggage straight through to Singapore and get the full allowance.
You should check out this site first though:

http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/flig...formation.aspx
Nov 7th, 2010, 11:38 AM

Which airline are you flying? That airline's website will tell you what the baggage allowances are and the cost for overweight.

(20 kg is a fair amount of luggage and 30kg is 66 lbs. I didn't have that much luggage when I moved to the UK. Just because one is allowed 30kg - is there a reason you need to take that much 'stuff'?)
Nov 7th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

We are flying Singapore Airlines in & out to Heathrow but wanted to get into London after our trip for a couple of days before flying out. And I don't expect to have that much in our luggage just wanted to ensure we don't blow it. I came back 7k over last time because I have a book fetish.

thanks D
Nov 8th, 2010, 05:12 AM

1) Take a day train to London - no worries about weight
2) Take the sleeper train to London - no worries about weight
3) Fly Easyjet - no limit on hand luggage weight as long as you can lift it, ideal for books.
Nov 8th, 2010, 06:37 AM

Do you have any sort of elite status? If you are *Gold, then you will get an extra 20kg on BMI, for a total of 40kg. If you are a Gold or Silver with BA, you also get an additional 20kg on BA flights.

Otherwise, you can pay £30 to check up to 30kg on BA, but I believe you are still bound by the one bag limit. Not sure about BMI.

I don't believe that EasyJet will let you buy up to 30kg, but, as noted you can put the heavy stuff in the carry-on. However, you can also do this with BA, as they have no weight limit, other than that you can lift it.

The problem with EasyJet is that they don't fly into Heathrow. For my money, if I were going to have to make my way from one of the other airports to Heathrow, then I would be just as inclined to take the train to London, as opposed to flying.

So, my advice is:

1) If you have either *Gold or BA elite status, then follow the status.
2) If you don't have status, and can get 30kg into one bag, then pony up the money and pay for BA.
3) Take the train.
Nov 8th, 2010, 07:43 AM

I can't see the point of flying from Edinburgh to London. The train will be as quick, cost less if booked in advance, will take you from city centre to centre AND you won't be subjected to ritual humiliation
Nov 24th, 2010, 04:23 AM

It depends on what airline you book with, you could get a cheap flight with a budget airline but they have smaller baggage allowances so you wont end up saving. Take the train as already suggested.