Luggage on Italian trains

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How difficult is it to take luggage on Italian trains?
Planning to go from Rome to Sorrento (via Naples)...but not sure I'll be able to maneuver around with my big ole suitcase.
Where do you put luggage on the trains?
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:17 PM
nbujic

you will not be able to put your big case in the compartment, just leave in the corridor ( with others).

Old May 20th, 2007, 05:21 PM

The suitcase should be able to fit in the overhead rack (you'll have to lift it over your head) and it shouldn't be so large it's in danger of tipping off onto someone's head.

If it's too big for that there is often a place at the end of the car - but then I would bring a lock and chain to secure it to something.
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:29 PM

We travelled in the first class compartment of the train from Rome to Florence and then Venice to Milano. We were able to fit our 22-inch rollaboards in the overhead rack. However, anything larger than that would not fit. There are luggage racks at the end of the car where you can put larger suitcases. But I would also recommend some kind of chain and locking device to lock it to the rack.
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - Just how big is your "big ole suitcase"?
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:51 PM

We travelled first class from Rome to Venice and from Venice to Florence and were able to put a 22" carry on and 25" and 26" suitcases in the overhead rack with no problem. That would be the maximum size that would fit up there, however.
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

thank you very much. excellent insights. i just went online and bought a cable lock.
my suitcase is a size bigger than a roll-aboard, but i'll have to measure the dimensions. doubt that it would fit up top.
thanks again.
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:56 PM

What the heck is a size bigger than a rollaboard? Those rollaboards can get pretty big.

If you can't lift the thing over your head easily and walk up steep steps with it, it's too big.
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:13 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Some of the ES trains now have their luggage racks/storage in the center of the cars where it can be seen from your seat.

My sister travels with 2 huge bags ( I think they are 29&quot and we just store them in the racks. We can't get her to travel light.
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:16 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Here's a picture of luggage space on an ES train.
http://www.trenitalia.com/en/treni_s...ity/index.html
Old May 21st, 2007, 03:46 AM

Be aware in some train stations, I have only encountered them in Rome & Naples, of the people acting as official porters. They come up to you and ask for your ticket then grab your luggage and haul it on board then expect a big tip. They're just free lancing. I haven't had a problem with them but have read on these boards that some people have gotten into arguments when the tip is demanded, some times fairly large for helping someone on a train.
Old May 21st, 2007, 05:57 AM

This past summer when I took the Eurostar from Florence to Venice it was a MESS!
I was by myself carrying a 26" and a small carry-on wheeled tote. Since the train started in Venice , it was more that half full by the time it reached Florence. All of the space for big luggage (in the areas between train cars) was taken and some. For a while I just stood there , paralyzed, as I didn't have the strength to haul that suitcase onto an overhead rack. Finally, an australian man took pity on me and put it into an overhead rack for me. Then, when we got to Venice he helped me again. I could have kissed him! Talk about depending on the kindness of strangers!

Old May 21st, 2007, 06:29 AM

mjh, We took the train to Sorrento from Rome in Nov 05. The Eurostar was no problem, you leave your bigger case in the area between train cars.

The real problem can be from Naples to Sorrento. Try to avoid any rush hour trains as people really pack into the trains. You might find yourself standing along side your luggage between cars the entire way It took several stops before seats cleared out to allow us to sit.

Hopefully you are traveling with suitcases you can maneuver easily by yourself. Deborah
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:00 AM

A couple of years ago I took the train from Rome to Naples, then the local commuter train to Sorrento. The local train I was on only had small overhead racks and the area between the backs of seats in which a 22" rollaboard was too fat. No luggage racks at the end of the car. It wasn't designed for long distance travel. My niece's 20" thin rollaboard fit between the backs of the seats. My 22" did not and I held it in the aisle. People with larger suitcases sat on the floor in the open area around the doors with their cases.
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:10 PM

H M,

One thing people don't mention, but that is extremely important to realize, is that not only are you dealing with the trains and luggage space and lifting your luggage, but many stations have LOTS of stairs just to get to the track. You have to go down the stairs, crossing the tracks via underground tunnels, then up the stairs again to your binario!

If you can't handle your luggage by yourself, you are taking too much. Take a 22" and no more. You'll be thankful.

Buon viaggio!
Old May 21st, 2007, 05:58 PM

<i>my big ole suitcase</i> is a big ole mistake. It ain't going to be funny, or fun. Any luggage that you can't carry up a flight of stairs and put in a rack 6' above the floor by yourself is luggage to leave at home. Pack light or suffer.

Old May 21st, 2007, 06:09 PM
nbujic

'my big ole suitcase is a big ole mistake. It ain't going to be funny, or fun. Any luggage that you can't carry up a flight of stairs and put in a rack 6' above the floor by yourself is luggage to leave at home.'
A very wise advice.
When we got off the train in Nice a few weeks ago ,my husband had to help several women with their luggage.
I don't know how they got it up the stairs to the platform or manage the rest of their trip.

Old May 21st, 2007, 06:59 PM

You guys are absolutely right. We combined train travel and car rental in France and Italy this month. When we took the train, the fact that we had accumulated a lot of stuff while in France caused frustration when it came to lugging the bags up and down lots of stairs at train stations...up into the trains and then oftentimes it was difficult to find a compartment that had room for our 24&quot; roller bags and backpacks. I was amazed at how many stairs some of the train stations required navigating.