eurostar luggage

Search

eurostar luggage

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eurostar luggage

I understand that there is only an overhead compartment or one behind your seat for luggage. I have the following luggage sizes - 25 and 29inches in hard case and another one in canvass that is super-size: can I bring any of these on-board?

Suze, I read your reply in my other post. Thanks and yes my hard case has wheels. I thought I'd write a separate thread with a more specific title as the other one is lumped up with other questions.
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:07 AM

Assuming you mean the Eurostar through the chunnel and not Eurostar Italia, there is the overhead space and also some space between seats, but for the really big bags there are racks by each door. Might be kind of worrying to be separated from your luggage, though, with only 1 or 2 stops between your start and finish, it's not that hard to keep an eye on them during that time, and there were quite a few people using them for big bags.
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:59 AM
ira

Hi Z,

The Italian ES* trains also have luggage racks for large suitcases at one end of the car and overhead racks.

Old May 16th, 2006, 04:10 AM

If you're worried about someone taking your suitcase from the end racks in the train car there are combination locks you can buy which have a thin steel cable that you secure your suitcase to the luggage rack with. The lock also stops opportunistic people opening the zips.
Old May 16th, 2006, 04:15 AM

zizz- I guess my question is - "how are you going to get all the stuff to the train?" Are you a body builder? Pack all that stuff up - run up and down your driveway, then up and down your 2nd floor stairs, then back down the driveway and up the stairs. Or do you have your own private sherpa? lynclarke
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:23 AM

You seem to be referring to the London-Paris Eurostar.

There's a bizarre obsession on this board (and among tourists on some trains I regularly take) with the possibilty someone will steal your luggage if it's not under your eye or over your seat. In several years of almost living on Italian trains, I never encountered anyone with the slightest interest in running away with 20 kilograms of my dirty underwear. Or even met anyone who'd once heard of someone with a second cousin whose next door neighbour thought she'd heard about such a thing.

On the London-Paris Eurostar, however, this paranoia gets just doolally. You have to go through passport control and security to get near the train. There's an attendant for just about every carriage. To get on the train you've either got to pay a lot or buy a ticket with a traceable credit card.

Possibly, if you luggage had a big sign on it saying "Millions of dollars in used notes inside" someone might think about going through all that to steal it.

But when the overwhelming likelihood is that the case weighs a ton and contains little more than the sweaty debris of several days' travelling....
And when the rest of central London and Paris are both such target-rich environments for criminals who want to turn a dishonest penny or eurocent...
Do you really think anyone's going to bother with the contents of your Wal-Mart roller case?
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

And yes I was referring to Eurostar London to Paris.

I was not at all concerned about someone stealing my suitcase until the replies mentioned it. I was worried that there would be restrictions based on space alloted at the trains. I read somewhere about needing to check in baggages - i.e having your big-sized luggage in another train and reaching you a few days later - that was my main concern.

As for carrying the suitcases, my husband and I can carry them fine. There will be nothing in them but mostly extra space. London is the first leg of our journey. We are reserving space just in case we do some shopping in Paris or Italy especially for our kids that we will be leaving with my family. This will be the only time we will be travelling by train. The rest we will be flying so no problems there.

That all said: can someone please tell me what the actual limitations are for the Eurostar channel as far as luggage size is concerned. Can I even attempt to bring my empty super-sized rolling suitcase?

Old May 16th, 2006, 05:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
zizz: a 29 inch suitcase is HUGE and will be very unwieldly even empty and by the time you fill it up it will be REALLY heavy.

You have to worry about getting it on/off other trains, on/off the metro/tube, etc. The thread you mention was about someone who had tooo much baggage to carry and needed to ship some ahead. I would not consider anything larger than your 25 inch bag - smaller would be better but if you already have a 25 inch case you like that would be OK.
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:59 AM

The Eurostar web site has some instructions about luggage:
http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisur...on/baggage.jsp
Two suitcases are OK. There are big racks at the end of each carriage.
Like "CotswoldScouser", I'm baffled by people who worry about having a suitcase stolen. I've been on trains all over Europe, and often left my bag while I have a meal or drinks in another carriage, and never had any problems. I cannot remember ever seeing anyone chaining their luggage to the train which seems quite a bizarre idea to me.
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Okay I just checked and apparently my samsonite oyster case is already 29". I won't even bother checking the dimensions of my superlight supersized luggage anymore. I have a smaller hard rollercase. It's maybe 25" but that seems too small for me. I used to use it for business trips of 3-5 days.

Now we (me and hubby) really have a dilemma here. I'm thinking of buying a collapsible adidas gym/sports bag which we had for a long time until it gave away finally last year - to use as a spare bag.

It appears that most people only bring trolley cases in Europe - mostly the size that one can carry on-board airplanes! How do you guys ever manage? I use those only for overnight trips.

This Eurostar trip is my only concern. I will not be using any tube and metro beyond this with my luggage. My airport transfers will be via taxis or private cars. As for Venice, I intend to use left luggage option at the airport and just bring a trolley overnight case.
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:19 AM

zizz: Check out some of the MANY threads on here about how to pack and what to take.

Many of us do use just small 19 to 21 inch bags for just about any length trip. But that doesn't mean you have to do it that way. By using some of the tips you'll find in the Packing threads you should EASILY be able to manage w/ a 24 inch bag.
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Sorry to be so obstinate. I have read the threads but I am such a pack rat that I cannot imagine packing light. Worst: hubby and I always do manage to shop and end up either buying extra luggage or throwing unneeded stuff in the end to fit all.

I was hoping to bring a huge suitcase along but this Eurostar trip posed as the only hurdle as I will be taking cabs/private cars all other times.

10 years ago I seem to recall that my business associate had an expandable trolley bag that was expandable vertically. They don't seem to make them anymore. I've not seen anything except those that expand sideways.

Old May 16th, 2006, 06:39 AM

zizz: Just one more try then I'll drop it - &quot;<i>this Eurostar trip posed as the only hurdle</i>&quot; probably isn't true. The trunks in many European cars will be smaller than you are used to. By the time you have two large suitcases plus other bit/pieces and additional bag(s) you buy along the way - there just won't be room. You may end up having things stowed on the back seat - and that is a VERY bad thing. Nothing should be in view in a parked car.

Plus many European hotels are small and don't have closets. They often have stand-alone wardrobes that are not big enough to store suitcases. So you end up w/ the suitcases on the floor and having to step over them to get to the bathroom.
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:46 AM
ira

&gt;Do you really think anyone's going to bother with the contents of your Wal-Mart roller case?&lt;

So, one morning as the train pulled into Brussels, I was awakened in my 1cl compartment by someone trying to take my suitcase off the overhead rack.

Being a friendly sort, I grabbed him by the cojones and said, &quot;Bonjour, Monsieur&quot;.

He took his hands off my luggage and slowly backed up as I sat up.

After the train started out of the station, I let go.

There are people who do steal luggage.

Old May 16th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If it is the extra space you need for what you buy on your trip... why not pack a normal 25&quot; suitcase, that you can easily manage, and bring a nylon duffle bag that folds up to nothing in the bottom of it? As you make purchases, then you use both bags.

That makes MUCH more sense than hauling around a huge hardsided suitcases on trains, checking in and out of hotels, in and out of taxis, etc. that is not even full!!

Another trick is to mail home stuff mid-trip. Go to a post office, purchase a small box and fill it up, with non-fragile gifts and souveniers, &amp;/or clothes, guidebooks, and the like that you don't need for the rest of your trip. Mail it to yourself at home.
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:49 AM

&lt;&lt;The rest we will be flying so no problems there&gt;&gt;

Huge suitcases aren't exactly convenient when you are going thru airports either!
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I promise to look into a 25&quot; - around that size - luggage when I go shopping this weekend and will no longer pursue bringing my existing suitcases.

Mailing things back home from Europe? How expensive can this be? Now I'm actually tempted to bring enough tops to last me the entire trip and send the dirty stuff along with any shopping stuff halfway through the trip to save me from dealing with laundry. I figure I can bear recycling trousers/slacks/capri pants - unless they're pretty filthy. Should I have skipped that thought altogether?

How difficult are European airports? Don't you just get dropped off at the entrance, get a trolley pushcart and then check in?

Old May 16th, 2006, 09:16 AM

zizz- Others may disagree, but that is what I do. My theory is I'm clean in the morning, and just walking around, how dirty can my pants possibly get, unless I spill a glass of wine on them or something? With 4-5 pair of slacks/capri I don't do laundry for a 2-3 week trip. I do take tops that I can rinse out in the hotel sink and dry overnight.

The size boxes I have mailed home cost approx $25-30USD, but I consider it money well spent.
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:54 AM

Another tip - take a 24 or 25 inch suitcase and pack one or two <u>empty</u>Pack Mates or Space Bags. These are the ziplock-type travel bags that you roll the air out of to compress what's inside.

(Regular Zip Locks don't work very well since they don't have the valve built in that lets the air out and prevents it from leaking back in)

I isually take only a 19 inch bag - or sometimes a 21 incher. On the trip home, dirty clothes go in the Pack Mate bag and when compressed they take up a fraction of the space. Frees up all kinds of room for things you buy during the trip.
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:45 AM

If you already have a 25&quot; suitcase, why do you want to buy a new one of the same size?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -