Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Steel cord-locks for luggage on Italian trains a good idea??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
Amart wrote in 2005, "After you decide if the baggage is to go into the overhead or the racks at the front of the train, you may want to take a steel cord lock to secure the handles to the racks. We did this...I read stories about stolen luggage enough to worry."

How do all you "veteran" travelers feel about this? (This will be our first European trip.) We will most likely have 21" & 24" suitcases plus a small daypack and make-up case...so we may, most likely, be stowing our larger bags on the racks at the end of the traincar.....just wondering. Thanks for your input.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 05:41 PM
J62

I stick my heavy luggage on the racks at the end of the car and take it out when I approach my stop. Anything of value stays nearer to me, either in the overhead rack or between seats (there is space between back to back seats).

This is especially true on routes with infrequent stops like Rome-Venice, etc.

If you take ES trains the 21" and maybe even the 24" will fit above your seats.

You can glance in the general direction as you approach stops, or get up and hover if you wish.

In several years here on Fodors I've yet to hear a single 1st hand story of stolen luggage off a train. If luggage theft were really a problem we'd certainly hear about it.

If it makes you feel better, then bring a lock.

I have not and would not bother. Call me cavalier but I spend a lot less time worrying about these things than some others, which I believe leaves me a lot more time, focus and energy to enjoy traveling.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 05:51 PM

I've read a few stories of people having luggage stolen, but J62's approach is probably fine for most.

If you're at all worried about it, bring the lock. The peace of mind is worth the hassle.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 06:19 PM

Why not lock it? We carry a couple of light weight, retractable cable locks. When ever we sit down with a bag, we use the lock to quick secure it something. Same for overhead luggage, No reason not to secure it. If we have luggage in the end units and cannot secure it to something, then we will lock all the bags together. Then you don't have to do anything. Our attitude is want can go wrong if it is secure -- nothing. What can go wrong if it is not secure -- a number of things. Why take the risk even if you perceive it as low?
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 06:49 PM

We aren't lazy or casual about these things when traveling on trains in a foreign country.

I take nothing for granted. It only takes a minute to tie our two suitcases with a strong, super-thin cable and lock around a steel pole at the rack near the doors.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 07:06 PM

I have travelled quite a bit in Europe, including Italy, (and I lived in The Netherlands for 4 years as well), and the only time I have ever had trouble on a train was around 1991 on a night train from Berlin to Crakow, Poland. My sister and I did not get a sleeper, so we stayed in a regular cabin. Somewhere around 03:30 in the morning, we each got up and took turns going to the WC. About 04:00 AM, just outside of Katowice, we both woke up again and realized that my camera bag was gone and her book bag was gone. People told us we may have been gassed, apparently a common thing back then in Eastern Europe. (many Polish people told us they knew of people with similar stories outside of Katowice). My passport also was gone....it was in an inner, zipped-up pocket in my jacket, which I was using as a pillow. (My sister found it, though, in a trash basket!) Other than that, with as much as I have travelled on trains in Europe from 1986 to the present, I've had no problems. If it makes you feel more comfortable, by all means, get one.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 07:15 PM

One thing about those locks is that some of them are tricky to open. Be sure the one you have can be opened easily, and quickly even when you are half asleep or a bit buzzed.

Those trains do not mess about. They stay in the stations only long enough for folks to hustle off and to load. If you are fumbling with a stubborn lock, the train is going to pull out -- you and your luggage still aboard.

Practice getting the keys out and unlocking the cable before you go.

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Everyone, for your helpful responses. If I may ask one more question, where did you purchase your
cable/locks? I inquired about such a cable/lock when at a baggage store yesterday and they said they had never heard of such a thing. (All they had was a big wide strap with a rather large combination lock to put around your actual suitcase.)

Nukesafe, you make a great point and we will be sure to practice and be sure we can unlock quickly...I tend to err on the side of caution. Since I know I will be able to relax and enjoy the ride much more if I am not worried about the suitcases, I think we will probably use the cables, provided I can find them, they're easy to handle and they are not too bulky to pack.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 10:37 PM

If you can't find the lock, you can use long, plastic zip ties. My sister and I used those on a trip to Spain. Just bring nail clippers with you to cut them off when you're ready to go (it comes off as fast as a lock at a station).
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 01:22 AM

Do you have any bicycle shops near you? You can certainly find them there. Sometimes you can also find them in hardware stores.

If you are going to do this I suggest you get one which has a changeable combination lock so you don't have to worry about carrying/losing keys.

We used to use these on trains but stopped doing so several years ago. If you lived close to me you could easily borrow mine!
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 05:37 AM

Back in the day, I used to use these in airports to chain my luggage to a seat while I went to the men's room. Alas, no longer.

I don't think these are a very good idea on a train for three reasons. First is that very little luggage is stolen from trains. Second, someone may need to move your bags to get theirs in or out, and they will not be happy if they cannot because of your cable. Third, is reinforcing nukesafe's point. Trains are in the station a very, very short time, almost unbelievably short by US standards. If you do it, you will need to leave your seat early and make very sure the lock is undone before you pull into the station or you won't get off.

If you decide to use them, and I might in Eastern Europe or any of the poorer countries, I think I bought mine from Travelsmith or Magellan. They were aircraft cable, had combination locks, and were a lot lighter than bike locks.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 07:56 AM
ira

Hi Love,

>...take a steel cord lock to secure the handles to the racks. ...

How do all you "veteran" travelers feel about this?<

Wanna buy a never-used bicycle lock with steel cord?

The only time a thief can steal your luggage is when the train is in the station.

It is little trouble to keep an eye on your luggage. You could always get off the train at the door where your luggage is and get back on before the train leaves.

Old Jul 28th, 2007, 08:22 AM

I have always believed that it is better to err on the side of caution, so, I too, purchased retractable steel cord/locks for my trip. Better safe than sorry, I always say.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 08:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Would a cable lock like people have for their laptops work?

That said, I have never felt the need myself. The majority of people on trains have suitcases and do not use cable locks. I keep valuables on my person or the smaller bag I keep with me.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

luv2travel, where did you purchase your cable/lock?

suze, I have never seen one--but it is a good suggestion, perhaps, to visit Office Depot and see if they have something...
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 08:52 AM

I have posted this before about watching teens waiting for the train to start pulling out of a station so they could take off with some luggage.

I have also seen someone walk by the luggage area as they pass between cars and stop to look over the luggage. It would be easy to take it into the toilet and rifle through it.

I usually get up during stops to check on my luggage but that is more of a hassle than just securing it. When you leave your train seat to check, you are probably leaving something there too which can be snatched.

To make sure I get off at the correct stop I always get to the luggage a bit early and pull it out to be ready for the stop. It would not take much more time to take off a bicycle lock.

I haven't done this in the past but the next time I take a long train journey I will do it. Many Europeans I have watched do secure their luggage too. As tourists, we have other things to think about than constantly checking our luggage.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 09:04 AM

I'm sorry, but I have never seen anyone securing luggage in Europe with cables or anything else.

I'm not syaing it doesn't happen but just in 30 years of train travel I jave never seen a "local" do it.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As someone else mentioned, retractable cable locks can be purchased where bicycle accessories are sold. (REI, Sports Chalet in SoCal, or over the internet.) They are very small, but the cables are long enough to lock bags together or to an object.

My husband is a serious cyclist and owns a bike that cost more than my first two cars (tgether!). He uses a lock every time he "parks" his bike. We also lock our skis and poles when we stop for lunch. Locking our luggage is just second nature to us.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 09:43 AM

Dukey, I have. Maybe you were looking at more interesting sights!
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 11:44 AM

In 30 plus years of travelling in Europe by train, I have never seen anyone do this, nor have I ever had a problem.

If I am on an ES, I reserve a seat near where the luggage is stored. And, if the overhead bin accomodates, I store my bag there. I keep valuables with me at all times and my luggage is always locked.

I would not use a cable lock for all the reasons already mentioned, nor do I think it is an issue.

It is most certainly not something I have ever seen a resident do;in fact, they travel very light in general.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -