Luggage left in our rental car while sightseeing in AIX

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While spending a week traveling in Provence, the only time we will have our luggage in our rental car (without us) is when we stop in AIX for a couple hours on our way from St. Remy to Antibes. I am planning to park in a lot or on the street while we sightsee and have lunch. Everything will be in the trunk. Because of concerns about theft, I have read so much about not leaving anything in cars, including the trunk, that I'm a bit worried. Should I be worried? I thought of storing our suitcases at the train station, but I'm not sure there are luggage storage lockers there. I asked on another post and it was suggested that I bring a small flexible bicycle lock to attach the suitcase handles to someplace sturdy inside the trunk. Is there another option? Hope I can back the car up to a wall while in the parking lot? Maybe storing our suitcases at a hotel? What do you suggest?

P.S. 20 years ago I was traveling with a friend who had her suitcase taken from the locked trunk of the car while we stayed overnite in Carpentras - she handled it a lot better than I would have.
Old May 29th, 2013, 09:24 AM

I already replied under your other thread...
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ing-in-aix.cfm
Old May 29th, 2013, 09:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
If we had luggage in our trunk, we always dined where we could see the car or in a lot up against the wall or on a very busy street where it would be difficult to ne be noticed.
Old May 29th, 2013, 09:44 AM

When I was doing a photography workshop in Provence a few years ago, the workshop leader decided not to stop in Aix for a few hours, as there had been many suitcases stolen out of cars in lots there. I wouldn't risk it.
Old May 29th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Heavens. We'll be cautious, but I sure wish there was a place to store suitcases for a short time.
Old May 29th, 2013, 11:13 AM

I would put the car in a garage or lot that is attended - not just park it on the street.
Old May 29th, 2013, 11:23 AM

It was in the lots (underground or otherwise) where there were reported "smash and grab" incidents in Aix.
Old May 29th, 2013, 11:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sometimes they drill into trunks so I doubt some sort of cable inside the trunk to secure luggage is going to help much.

There is nothing stopping you from at least checking out the rail station for the possibility of luggage storage but according to another thread there aren't any lockers:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...n-provence.cfm
Old May 29th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

This may be overkill, but I just emailed the AIX Office de Tourisme to see if they had storage space or ideas about what to do with our luggage. I know tourists park their cars in the central area all the time in the middle of the day and nothing happens: however, I just know we aren't going to keep an eye on the car during our visit and I may not be lucky to find a spot where I can back up to a wall. And I know by that time we will have some treasures!
Old May 29th, 2013, 03:40 PM

While visiting our daughter in Aix in 1993 (she was doing her 3rd year of University from Dalhousie in Canada)we were robbed 3 times within 24 hours. I have travelled to Europe 24 times in the last 20 years and this is the only time I have been the victin of theft. I would be VERY cautious - they are skilled and ruthless.