Luggage in a rent a car

May 20th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Luggage in a rent a car

We are driving from Nice to Florence in a rental and would like to stop at either Cinque terra, pisa , or lucca on the way. but I am worried about leaving our luggage in the car? does anyone have any ideas to secure my luggage, or do you think it will not be a problem?

Thanks
May 20th, 2003, 05:50 PM

I have left my luggage in cars in both Italy and Spain. I do make sure to rent a car with a trunk, not a hatchback and make sure that ALL the luggage is in the trunk. I have never had a problem.

The one time I left luggage overnight I did leave it in a garage with an attendant. While I know he would not have done anything the car had an alarm and I hoped that having an attendant to hear the alarm would scare off the potential theif.
May 20th, 2003, 08:13 PM

My French friends have had problems in
Europe with luggage stolen from trunks. Their advise, get to the next hotel and check in and then sight see. A trip with no clothes is a drag..take it from Europeans!!!
May 20th, 2003, 11:03 PM

I ,too, have had friends in ITALY get their trunks broken into- they went shopping as they were going from town to town- someone was following them--then when they got to a 3rd town and left all the new goodies AND their luggage in the locked trunk, the car got broken into-IN BROAD DAYLIGHT....

Advice-LEAVE nothing unattended in your vehicle--in either the trunk or backseat
May 21st, 2003, 03:36 AM

If you have to stop then park in a pay lot that is in the open. Leave nothing showing in the car. One old trick is to have a local news paper showing in the rear window. But as you can see from the posts if someone is watching the lot, looking a mark, then you could have problems.
May 21st, 2003, 05:50 AM
MGB

We have never had a problem (may be just fortunate based on the above). In Venice we left luggage in a Ford Mondeo wagon with the cover over the luggage in a parking structure, no problem. In Prague, Budapest, Beaune, and Switz. we left it in a hotel secured car park or garage.

For our currently planned trip in
Sept we are revising our luggage requirements. We will have a 22" rolling and tote for each person so we will never overnight leave luggage in the car. Now this does not help for stopping for lunch.

From your post I cannot tell if your stop is an overnight or a lunch (but Cinque terre would be hard, if not impossible from what I have heard for just a lunch).

We have stopped for lunches where the parking is secured (garage) with limited access without a problem.

Have a great trip, Mary Ann