Italy museum itinerary question

May 20th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Italy museum itinerary question

Hi,
I'm leaving for italy on saturday and will get into rome the 25th. I will stay there until the 29th then go to florence in the morning until the 1st and then on to venice, arriving around noon until late afternoon of the 3rd. I was wondering if someone can help me plan the museums. In rome we want to do the Borgese, Vatican, Colliseum, forum, pantheon. In Florence the Uffuzi and Accademia and in Venice the Doge, Guggenheim and St. Marks. I've been trying to figure this out for awhile but feel a little overwhelmed at this point. I guess I need some idea how long I need for the visits. Aside from these sights I want to walk around and see as much as I can, but I can probobly figure that out on my own. Thanks for any help.
May 20th, 2003, 12:19 PM
DAJ

Hi Quark,

Although it depends on your museum reviewing style, from our personal experience we spent approximately 3 hours at the Borghese and I believe we went through at a leisurely pace giving plenty of time to Ehs & Ahs.

Using the guide group Scala Reale, we took the Antica Rome tour, which covers the Colloseum, Forum and the Palatine Hill in 4 hours. When you sign up with Scala Reale, you $20 registration includes a 2 hour city walking tour.This what a phenomenal tour.

We did multiple visits to the Pantheon as we found this was our favorite place. But the first time there we spent an hour.

The Vatican we sped through within 3-4 hours, including the museum and the Sistine Chapel with a climb up to the top of St. Peters and inside St. Peters. The was too fast to go through the museum portion. When we return to Rome, we will go through the vatican via Scala Reale. This time did not include the Scavi Tour either.

Regarding Venice, we signed up for the Doges Secret Itinerary tour in English on the day we arrived for the next day. This tours the whole palace and additional parts that without the tour, you do not see. I believe this takes approx. 3 hours. St. Marks church will take maybe an hour at most. We did not make the Guggenheim or the Tower.

I hope this helps you in your planning. We did not do Florence on this trip.
May 20th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your reply DAJ.
It 's a big help.
May 20th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

topping
May 20th, 2003, 02:21 PM
LJ

RE: Florence, I would be inclined to do the Uffizi on one day and the Accademia the next. It is very useful to get tickets for advance entry into the Ufizzi (info available on this site-do a search) and do get them before you arrive in Florence. It is also a good idea to get a guide to the gallery early and pick your rooms. I don't have a high tolerance for long visits in art galleries and museums, so for me, the best strategy is to go to one or two rooms and see all within thoroughly rather than race around just to say you've "done" the Uffizi. But each to his own.
May 20th, 2003, 03:15 PM

A comment on the Borghese Gallery: When we were there in October 2002, we had to exit after, if I remember, two hours. Because the reservations are timed (and required!), I guess it was just time to get ready for the next group. We saw everything at what I think was a reasonably leisurely pace but couldn't go back and get a second/last look at anything. Just keep this in mind when you're there.

Re the Basilica at Piazza San Marco: I read somewhere on this forum that reservations are possible, but I don't know how you do this. We arrived before the Basilica opened and walked right in when it did. When we left just an hour later, the line was already snaking in Disneyland fashion all over that end of the square. We have found this to be a good lesson for everything in Italy: If you don't/can't have a reservation, get there 10-15 minutes before opening time, or in the alternative at about 6:00 p.m.
May 20th, 2003, 03:34 PM

San Marco Basilica time slots are reserved at www.alata.it. It is a funny site -- sometimes it offers an English version, sometimes not (even in Italian it is pretty easy to figure out where to click and how to use it). It lets you reserve for a ten minute time slot (all you're allowed anyway), for up to five tickets (there are 7 in our group, and we had to use 2 different computers because the site could somehow tell we had already reserved 5 spots).
May 21st, 2003, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies.
May 21st, 2003, 04:57 AM

Hi
Borghese Gallery in Rome has timed entry tickets, good for two hours only
Your hotel can reserve for you before you arrive in Rome, or the day before you want to go. The grounds are lovely, try to go on a nice day.

The Vatican will easily take at least half a day. There's the waiting in line, the going through (acoustiguides are available, or go with a guided tour from Enjoy Rome or some other group. Scala Reale is my choice for walking tours, but they are probably booked up for next week.)

You can also do walking tours of the Colosseum and Roman Forum, or just do the acoustiguide. Depending on your interest in detail, 2-4 hours.

Pantheon is a walk through of a magnificent, incredibly important building. Do some reading. Walk through is 20-30 minutes.

Venice: Doge's Palace. As said, for the Secret Itinerary your hotel can reserve for you, for general admission allow 2-4 hours (there's an acoustiguide).

Guggenheim Collection's art is not really my cup of tea, but it's a great building as well. I'd say 1-2 hours.
The cafe in the garden is pretty good by the way.

St Mark's Basilica
If you want to attend Mass, arrive before 8:30 and go in on the left side as you face it. If guard stops you, explain you are there for mass.
It's a lovely experience, and I'm not Catholic. Even while seated, you can gaze around. When mass is over, you will already be inside and have about 20 minutes before the line of tourists outside starts entering.

In Florence you will want timed reservations for the Uffizi and the Accademia. Again, your hotel can arrange. I do not like the Uffizi museum (the facility, I love the art) so I would say 2 hours there and an hour at the Accademia. Many would say the Uffizi needs more time than that.

May 21st, 2003, 05:55 AM

If you do not use a live guide at the Vatican Museum, then definitely rent the audioguide. It's best I've ever experience at any museum anywhere.