Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rental cars with luggage left in locked trunk while siteseeing ???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2003, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are arriving Nice early morning but can't check into our villa until 4pm. I have heard so many warnings against leaving luggage even in a locked trunk. Is this not advisable? Any suggestions? We thought we would explore Nice or Cannes, maybe eat etc but don't want our luggage ripped off.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 09:45 AM

We had the same concerns in Nice, waiting for our villa in St. Jean du Cap. We asked if we could put our luggage inside the villa's door while we went sightseeing, and the maids agreed. <BR>If this can't happen, do not leave your luggage in my car, you may have to do something keeping your car in sight or checking it in a locker at the train station, if they have them.<BR>There are alot of scams on tourists in big cities, including Nice.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 09:45 AM

If you cannot leave your luggage at the front desk and must leave it in the trunk, I suggest you bring a bicycle cable lock and lock your luggage up in the trunk to something that does not break easily. Do this before you park your car , so no one sees the contents of your trunk.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 09:46 AM

I would never leave any visible luggage in a car in that area. If you can't conceal it in the trunk I would stay close enough to the car to keep an eye on it. Just another reason to pack light!<BR><BR>Also check to see if your rental car has any stickers identifying it as such on it - remove them or cover them over if it does. And it never hurts to leave a local newspaper folded up on the seat and a baguette in the back window.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 10:19 AM

Here's an idea. Make a reservation to have lunch at La Colombe D'Or in St Paul de Vence. It's about a 1/2 drive from Nice airport. If you're eating there you can park in their car park. (They may even let you leave your luggage in the hotel for the day) Spend the morning walking around the village of St Paul, have lunch then go down to the Maeght Foundation &amp; have a look at the art. By that time you'll be able to go to your villa.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Now that's a good idea about going to St. Vence de Paul and have lunch at La Colombe d'Or. We arrive Nice airport at 8:20 a.m. So it would be about 10am when we get out of the airport and finally arrive St Vence. Do you think we could go there before the lunch hour? Also, is there enough stuff to do all day til 3:30pm????? What are your thoughts on this?
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 01:54 PM

I think by the time you get your luggage, get your rental car &amp; find your way to St Paul (we manage to get slightly lost each time we go) it could be closer to 11. Very acceptable for lunch parking IMO. (fyi-their parking lot can be torturously steep)<BR>There is public parking in St Paul also but it's more exposed &amp; you will have to keep feeding the meter. <BR>You could easily spend 2 hours walking around St Paul, particularly if you're shoppers. Two or more hours for a leisurely lunch and then, if time permits a walk down to the Maeght for an hour. Voila. <BR>If you're arriving from a long journey, consider what you'll be wearing. While you needn't dress up for lunch, you should look pulled together. I'm jealous. Have a great time.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

McLaurie: Then are you familiar with &quot;Le Saint-Paul&quot; the restaurant in St. Paul. I was wondering which would have the best ambience &amp; food - if you could just do one of them? Might you know? we could also go to the Fondation-Maeght. I heard that was wonderful. Have you been?
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

I just realized that you did recommend the foundation so I don't need any information on that. Just if you have experience with the other hotel/restaurant in St. Paul called &quot;Le Saint-Paul&quot;. They both look so charming but which one do we chose????
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 05:53 AM

First, I came upon this suggestion because you were worried about leaving luggage in your car &amp; I know Colombe D'Or has it's own car park behind the hotel. Colombe D'Or is just outside the old village where you can drive. Le St Paul is inside the ramparts &amp; you cannot drive up to it to the best of my recollection. As it is a hotel, they must have parking arrangements for guests but I don't know what they are.<BR><BR>La Colombe D'Or is famous &amp; filled with fabulous art (Matisse, Leger etc.) both on the outdoor terrace and in the dining room. Read this http://www.travelintelligence.net/wsd/articles/art_1701.<BR>I have not been for several years so can't comment on recent changes in food or service at either place. To me, Colombe D'Or is an experience unlike any other. If you dine there you can also have a look at their pool area where there is a Calder sculpture (that they have on occasion loaned to the Maeght). If you look for their website you can see the pool. Le Saint Paul is pretty &amp; in a way more &quot;decorated&quot; (CD is a bit more rustic). You know my vote.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

McLaurie: I appreciate all of your comments. I take it you prefer La Colombe d'Or. We may have to go here anyway cuz it looks like the other place is closed for lunch on Sundays. I really wanted to read that website but it wouldn't open. Is there anyway you could copy and paste its contents in an email to me at [email protected]. I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much. Also, do you think we could cover St. Paul de Vence and also cover Biot while we're up there - or is that too much?
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

McLaurie: I finally was able to pull up that article. THanks a million! I haven't heard back from Le St Paul about if they are closed all day on Sundays, but we do have a 12:30pm (that's when they open) reservation at &quot;La Colombe D'Or&quot; &amp; they said they have 2 secure prkg lots like you said. Le St. Paul did look more cutzie and romantic but hopefully &quot;La Colombe&quot; will be as quaint. thanks for all your help.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 10:39 AM

You're very welcome. I was just going to email you. I assume you've seen their website www.la-colombe-dor.com which is fun if a bit arty. If you click onto &quot;la piscine&quot; you can see (&amp; hear) the pool with the Calder mobile. It's too bad you're going on a Sunday as I expect the shops in St Paul will be closed. There's plenty to see though(including the locals playing boulles at the cafe across from the Colombe D'Or!). I hope you're not disappointed with Colombe D'Or. They have an appetizer of mixed hors d'oeuvres that includes crudites &amp; other great stuff that's good to share. If you sit outside on the terrace, make sure you check out the artwork inside in the dining room while you're there.<BR><BR>As to Biot, if you're travelling west (don't know where your villa is) you could stop there if you have the time, but you might want to save it for another day &amp; eat in the charming cafe in the center arcade square there.<BR><BR>Feel free to email me at [email protected] Have a great trip.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 09:52 PM

EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!DON'T EVEN THINK OF PARKING ANYWHERE IN EUROPE WITH A CAR (TRUNK OR OTHERWISE ) FULL OF LUGGAGE!!! Bee line directly to yur hotel and leave the luggage with the bell desk and reception, check in early and explain you will return in the afternoon for your room and use a credit card for ealy check in. You don't have to take your room in the early morning...but you return when the room in available. Not Possible???<BR>then you don't want to stay there as your general security will be compromised. Been there...done that for years.If the room is guaranteed to a credit card for that date, you can secure your reservation even if you have to wait for the room.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Deloris: Regarding your comment. The problem is we have no choice. We can NOT check into our villa until 4pm and we arrive at 8:50 a.m. So I guess the best option is as the other person commented go to St. Paul and use that hotels parking garage. Don't you think this is okay??????
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 07:52 AM

Can you tell me more about La Colombe d'Or? It looks like we'll be spending 6 weeks in the Cannes area starting in early March. My mother may be visiting and it would be nice to do one really good lunch. <BR>How far in advance would we need reservations? Is there a prix fixe lunch? What is the normal price? Other recommendations for a nice lunch, not expensive, in the Cannes/Frejus/Grasse areas? <BR>Thanks!
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 07:52 AM

Gargiulo, my husband and I spent two weeks in the St. Paul de Vence area with a car two years ago, after reading lots of posts I was concerned about theft from our car, one thing we did if it was possible was to back the car into a parking spot so the trunk was against a wall, or tree, anything that wouldn't give easy access to open it, never had a problem, we found the boys who appear from nowhere in Nice when you stop at a stop light to be more threatening, they would become very aggressive if you wouldn't pay them to stop washing your windows, just a small annoyance in a beautiful region. have a wonderful trip. Deborah
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 09:22 AM

Gargiulo, see if you can drop your luggage off at the villa, probably only the cleaning people will be there and they shouldn't mind. <BR><BR>This is what we did, too, the maids just smiled and said it happens often.