Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa...how stringent are they with carry-ons?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2014, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We leave for Germany in 16 days! This is about the time I get in to freak out mode-so much to do work/home front before we go. Haven't flown Lufthansa in awhile so wondering how stringent are they with carry-ons? I'm concerned, even though they call this luggage "carry on", that the wheels will push the limit if we have to place in a "tester" for size. I know they will fit in the overhead and we have vowed to not "over expand" We haven't used them yet-last years trip was cancelled and I purchased the new 4-wheel style before that.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 02:31 AM

Flew them in May/June from JFK to Munich and they didn't seem to stop anyone.
BTW, was quite impressed w/the crew both ways.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 02:41 AM

It will depend on how busy the flight is. Have flown with them to Dallas, flight was very full so they were asking if anyone would check in their hand luggage at the gate. Unfortunately since so many consider their carry-on as their main luggage, it clutters up the cabin so when the flight is full, it causes issues. But if the flight is not full, I don't think you will be stopped.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Saturday flight so maybe we will luck out.....Hoping for a great crew also! In the past I think we have always been happy with them. Flying out of O'Hare. This will be our main luggage, we always carry on but these are new bags we haven't used yet. We'll see, hoping for the best. Our seats are towards the back so we may be among the first to board in coach.....
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 03:14 AM

How do you know where your seats are? You can't reserve specific seats until check-in, 24 hours before departure.

I do wish less people travelled with carry on as their only luggage. I have to carry my camera gear, worth a couple of thousand euro, in a carry-on legal bag, but so often can't put it in the overhead because it is full of peoples luggage, usually from people sitting elsewhere in the plane. Even when I can get it in the locker it gets manhandled by carry-on only people.
Check your clothes. Make loading and unloading quicker, easier and friendlier.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 03:21 AM

Sorry - just because you want to carry around a bunch of camera equipment that doesn;t give you priority over others - unless they are carrying oversize bags.

In terms of your new luggage I would make sure it fits the requirements of all the flight you may take. Intereuropean flights often have more stringent rules. And flying back TO the US the rules may be more stringent. Returning from Zurich I have seen many people have to gate check luggage that is legal on flights with US carriers (they want 19" including the wheels).

I had to get a super tiny wheelie when I started traveling to Basel a lot.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 03:34 AM

I used them a couple of years ago and I hand no problem even though my carry-on luggage was quite big. Also, I didn't see anyone having this sort of problems, so I believe they will let you pass.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 03:35 AM

In my experience, necessarily limited, Lufthansa was most stringent on size, Air France on weight, You may have a different perspective.

I sort of don't get carryon only for leisure travelers, especially internationally. But, as the Pope says, "Who am I to say?"
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 04:06 AM

We flew Lufthansa from Dulles to Munich last year...and we had meticulously weighed and measured our bags at home. When we got to the gate, an agent was going around asking people to put their bag in the tester...no one's bag was fitting in there. We had to check ours along with alot of other people. Our flight was full and it was on a Saturday. But we do like Lufthansa overall and will fly them again no problem.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Carrying on keeps us to the bare minimum which makes lugging the baggage around A lot easier. Additionally we are leaving the Frankfurt airport upon arrival in a rental car and heading south so it would be very inconvenient to have "lost" luggage. Going home we are never as concerned however it is nice to just get off and go right to the bus stop to get our bus home. I guess we will see if the 30th is our lucky day

Hetismij2 we have always had our seat assignments when we have purchased our tickets (we purchase months in advance) and the only time we didn't sit in those assigned seats was a canceled flight that they rescheduled us 3 days later as stand by. I think we may have been given the opportunity once or twice to change if we wanted to but typically we have been okay with the assigned seats. We are always sure to arrive in a timely manner as well.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 05:31 AM

In common with 'what will the weather be like on such and such a day' I think this is one of those pretty much redundant questions (ie pointless). All airlines have rules. Sometimes people get away with an over-sized or over-weight bag. It doesn't mean you will. Just take the right size and then you won't have to worry.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 05:33 AM

Btw, the reason I prefer carry on is because a smaller lighter bag is easier to carry round - not just on the plane, but up and down steps, in and out of taxis, buses and trains and so on. Also, if I can keep a case with me at all times (which you can't with hold luggage) the chances of it going missing or being tampered with in some way are much smaller.