Luberon in Winter

Old Jun 26th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luberon in Winter

Has anyone spent winter in Luberon or Languedoc Rousillon? Do these areas get very very cold and snow?

I am searching for a place to stay in the south over the French winter months, from say November to February. We have a toddler and are therefore concern if he can handle the chill.

Any advice is welcomed!

S
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 11:28 PM

Winter temperatures often fall below freezing overnight. The clear skies also allow the sun to quickly warm the temperatures in the mornings. Temperatures of up to 20C are possible on warm summer days.

Inland it is colder in winter. The Mistral is a Northerly wind that can be very cold. It blows more in Provence and the Rhone valley than in Languedoc.

Warmest places in winter are on the coast.

A Xmas photo : http://www.the-languedoc-page.com/ph...-photo-022.htm

Peter

Old Jun 26th, 2006, 11:31 PM

Hmm

should read ..... warm winter days.

And I forgot to say, snow is rare near the coast. Inland and at higher altitudes it is more common. My part of Languedoc has not had snow for a few years.

Rare snow pic : http://www.the-languedoc-page.com/ph...-photo-026.htm

Peter
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Peter

Thank you so much for your prompt feedback. Could you recommend a few places for us to base which is central enough to visit Luberon and the coastal towns.

S
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 02:59 AM

We have stayed in the Vaucluse and Roussillon in winter and it has been much as Peter describes. If in the sun and there is no wind it can be quite pleasant but remember that the days are short and once the sun gets low in the sky the temperature falls quite quickly. Of course plenty of french people live there all year and many have small children so I don't think you need worry too much on that score. It is more a matter of whether you will enjoy yourselves in the colder weather. The further south you are, the warmer it will be. You might like to look at the website for our village house near Perpignan - http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsl8fbu/clairanew.htm We rent the house out and I would be happy to provide details by email if you are interested.
Greg
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Preparatory to commiting to the long term winter stay, I intend to spend a few days in the Luberon area in late Feb 2007 to explore that possibility.

For the few days, my plan is to stay in larger towns such as Aix or Avignon as I imagine shops and restaurants in larger towns tend not to go into hibernation like those in smaller towns/villages/hamlets.

Am I making the right assumption? If so, which town would you suggest I base myself in for the few days?

Pls advise and thank you.

S
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 01:18 AM

I think it's possible overstate the closing down of things over the winter. Remember that these towns & villages are populated by french people who still have to have access to restaurants, shops etc. Many tourist oriented places will be quiet, with tourist facilities closed, but shops and markets will generally still be there. We have a house in Beaumes de Venise, a village of 2500 people in thew Vaucluse region. In summer the population swells to around 4000, but in winter the bakeries, and other local shops etc are still open albeit sometimes with reduced hours. maybe 2 of 4 restaurants and 1 of 3 hotels will close. I personally would recommend a medium sized town in the area rather than Avignon as Avignon is very heavily touristed in the season and the central area will seem quiet. I don't know the Luberon well but in 'our' area I would recommend a town like Vaison-la-Romaine which will still have its (reduced in size) Tuesday market and which is easy to get around. Aix is less tourist oriented and may be less affected seasonally but I can't say so from experience
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 01:34 AM

Hi

I'd tend to think of larger towns where facilities remain open summer and winter.

Although a little further from the Luberon, I'd think of staying somewhere just East of Nimes to reduce the effects of the Mistral. And, the closer to the coast the warmer it will be.

Grand Motte (love it or hate it) is the most active resort in winter.

Peter

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Bumping for future reference, as I also am contemplating a wintertime visit to Provence or Languedoc.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 02:27 AM

Did you have any specific questions flsd? People here are generally pleased to assist but this string seems to have come to a natural conclusion. If you want to get it going again you probably need to ask some questions
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Thanks, Greg, but I know how the board works. My questions pretty much have been answered here - I just wanted to be able to go back and review them when I begin planning in earnest.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for all your feedback.

I will have 4 nights in total in the area in late Feb 2007 and have now resolved to stay 2 nights in Avignon and 2 nights in Aix.

With the 2 nights in Avignon, I'll do the towns in Provence and also Arles and La Grande Motte/Camargue. The other 2 nights in Avignon, I'll explore Avignon and Cassis area. Any thoughts on this plan?

S
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 09:17 PM

Sounds good. Bring a windbreaker ...

-Kevin
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 01:02 AM

From Avignon I suggest that you go north-east a little as well. For example, take a circuit around Orange, Vaison-la-Romaine, and the Cote du Rhone wine villages - Seguret, Gigondas, Sablet etc - scattered around the Dentelles de Montmirail.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Kevin, will your B&B be open during winter, in my case, late Feb 2007?

Greg, thanks again for your advice. I have always wanted to visit Orange. Will look further into the other places you mention.

I only have 4 nights/5 days so I'll have to be very selective.

S