Looking for opinions on Brighton and Canterbury as day trip from London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm leaving for London in just over a week! I'll be there 8 nights and plan on a couple of day trips, probably Cambridge and Warwick and possibly one more. I'm thinking of either Canterbury or Brighton and would like to hear from people who have been to either - both good and negative comments. Thanks
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 05:12 PM

I visited both Brighton & Canterbury and found Brighton to be a very tacky city. Planned on spending a night but left after a few hours of walking around. Canterbury was much nicer. Enjoyed the cathedral, walking along the pedestrian area, the Canterbury Tales (silly but fun) and just the general atmosphere. Another day trip consideration could be Bath.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 06:57 PM

Canterbury is older and quieter, with Roman and medieval remains. Brighton is full of young people, strong in the arts, pubs, night life, and places for homosexuals. It is almost wholly nineteenth and twentieth century.<BR><BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replys - Ben Haines as always with good England info. Nancy - I had originally planned on Bath as one of my day trips but the more I thought about it the less it interested me - Georgian is not really my favorite type of architecture, and while I love things Roman, I was in Italy last summer so kind of got my fill, for the time being at least. <BR><BR>I realize Brighton and Canterbury are quite different and I've heard good and bad things about each so was mostly looking for personal opinions as to whether or not people found them enjoyable day trips. Anyone else? Thanks again.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 06:27 AM

Well, they are totally two different things, and having been to both I'd vote for Canterbury. It's got the magnificant cathedral for starters and if that interests you it's worth the trip. Lots of old streets, buildings (medieval charm you could say). We found Brighton a little tacky, but if you have a desire to see the sea it's Ok for a day visit.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 07:31 AM

It really depends on what you are in the mood for. Ben Haines pretty much put the two into a nutshell. <BR><BR>Now for a vote for Brighton. I live in London and happen to really like Brighton as a day trip - it's really different than most of the &quot;ye olde English&quot; places you would go to. Brighton is young, hip, there is a really creative art scene, good and interesting cafes and restaurants, the Pier (with its old amusement park rides and fun-fair activities) is quite fun and the Pavilion (old Pleasure Palace) is really unusual and a right treat to visit rather than yet another church. Parts of it are a bit tacky, but tacky in a good way, I would say more kitschy than tacky, while other parts are really fun and original. I wouldn't stay there as an overnight trip unless I was really into the party scene, but as a day trip it is fun, especially if you have nice weather. <BR><BR>Canterbury is a lovely medieval town with a great cathedral and is probably a more &quot;traditional&quot; day trip type of a place. <BR><BR>Now don't get me wrong - I like Canterbury and other old cities, and I like visiting churches all over the UK and Europe (just ask my husband...) but I happen to like Brighton too. It just sounded like people might have been expecting something else when they went there and thus were disappointed. So I just wanted to make sure that it didn't end up being overly discounted in this discussion. <BR>
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 07:56 AM

I can't put my finger on it but there was no there in Brighton for us. We spent a few hours seeing as much as we could and then headed back to the rail station feeling as if we had wasted a day. As another place, consider Oxford. Much charm, good walks an not far on the train.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 07:58 AM

You may want to consider a round-about trip through the Kent countryside. It can be done in a day. I did it. I visited Chartwell - the home of Winston Churchill, Hever Castle - the home of Anne Boleyn, Leeds Castle - sits in the middle of a lake, Dover Castle - on the white cliffs overlooking the channel, and Canterbury.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 08:35 AM

We did both last time in London. I LOVED Canterbury and LIKED Brighton. I always wanted to see both. When we went to Brighton there was supposed to be a limited express train.....there was trouble on the tracks somwhere near Brighton and an hour trip truned into 2 hour. Liked the the Regent's Palace and had a great lunch at HaHa. In Canterbury, had a fabulous lunch in a great little Italian restaurtnat, and watched the throngs of French students thay had descended on the town!
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 08:13 PM

I was in Brighton in october last year and thought it had well and truly 'gone to the pack' it was so dirty, dingy and I hear it has a major drug problem. <BR>I prefer Hastings and Eastbourne, if you want to see the coast and agree Oxford is lovely, I actually like Oxford better than Cambridge.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 09:09 PM

May I ask: What about Rye? From my reading, sounds quite interesting. I am thinking of spending a night or two in the general area prior to our Gatwick departure.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 04:12 AM

Bill I ADORE Rye. It is very picturesque with phenomenal period Tudor architecture. Lots of wonderful antique shops. It's also very near the town of Battle where the Battle of Hastings took place as well as the town of Hastings (on the beach) with fishing huts and a little amusement park for kids with rides.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 05:04 AM
jmw

Hi all. Is Rye a good spot to stay if you're traveling by train and/or bus?

Old Mar 10th, 2003, 02:15 AM

Rye is a lovely little village, but book your accomodation early as it does get booked up. It is relatively easy to get there by train, you would go from Victoria Station in London via Ashford. Or you could go from Charing Cross via Hastings.