Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How does this itinirary sound for England?

Aug 4th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Just a rough outline. Are we too ambitious? TUESDAY-Arrive in a.m. do hop on/hop off bus. Get off at Harrods for awhile and maybe Mayfairs Shepard Market. Make it a early dinner and get some rest.
WEDNESDAY-Take train to Oxford, spend morning, rent car for Stratford upon Avonand spend the day & nite there.
THURSDAY-Spend day driving and walking around Cotswolds and drop off car and train back to London.
FRIDAY-National Gallery, British Museum & Library, Tea somewhere memorable, a west end play or musical and end the nite at Covent Garden.
SATURDAY-Portobello Market,maybe see Buckingham Palace today and st. James Park, and pretty much shop all day around Oxford and Regent, soho and Piccadilly. Eat somewhere famous and/or great and try to see another show.
SUNDAY-Have breakfast at a Jewish Deli and go to the Jewish Museum. Where is Golders Green? spend some time at Hyde Parks Speakers corner and try to go to Kew Gardens. What can we do this evening? The London Eye?
Aug 4th, 2004, 08:44 PM
dln

z, that sounds okay to me, but what's the big rush to get back to London? The Cotswolds deserve more time than you're giving them. You could easily spend a morning and afternoon in Oxford. It's a great town. It's fun exploring the different colleges and looking in the churches. The Ashmolean Museum is very good as well. Our favorite places to the northwest of Oxford are Burford, Bibury and Bourton-on-the-Water. They're all quintessential Cotswolds, and you could easily while away a few hours in each (plus the time to drive and admire all those great views in between the towns).

If you're staying in Stratford, look into going to Warwick Castle, just north of it. Google it and you'll come up with the website. It's a restored castle and very interesting to see. Incidentally, of all the places we saw in the Cotswolds, it was Stratford we liked the least. Sure it was nice to see all the Shakespeare history there, but otherwise it's a busy and touristy town. Not the least bit quaint.

Aug 4th, 2004, 08:53 PM

Whew...a sensitive question...how old are you, and how much energy do you typically have on vacation? This is an action packed schedule, but you do cover alot of ground!

Have you been to England before? Are these all things that you really want to see...or things that you feel you should see? If this is a first trip, you will barely scratch the surface of London itself, so unless you REALLY want to see Oxford and the Cotswolds now you might save this for a more leisurely trip. They are lovely, but would be more enjoyable at a more leisurely pace. (Especially the Cotswolds). Also, I've never been to Stratford, because I've been told it isn't actually all that interesting for all the driving it requires. (Please correct me if you've heard otherwise.) If you dropped Stratford, you'd have more time to mosy around the Cotswolds and hang out in the wonderful old pubs and such.

My concern is that the schedule is so packed, you may not have time to enjoy some of these things sufficiently. There is so much to do in London and in the easy day trips (Windsor, Greenwich, even Oxford) that don't require a hotel change.

But that is really up to you, your interests and your energy level...
Whatever you choose, you'll have a great time in this superb city.
Aug 4th, 2004, 09:23 PM

I think your Friday in London sounds a bit ambitious. The British Museum, the National Gallery, and the British Library could each take half a day without even scratching the surface of them. I'd probably pick just one of those, have tea somewhere fabulous, then see a show, go to Covent Garden, and call it a night.
But then, maybe I'm older and tireder than you!!
Annette
Aug 4th, 2004, 09:43 PM

To give you some perspective I lived near the Cotswolds for 5 years and have traveled back to the UK more times than I can count.

Have you been there before and why did you pick the places you are going?

Basically, your London days are doable - none are too jam packed. Friday is a little frantic tho'. The British Museum, Br Library and the National Gallery all on the same day might be difficult. It really depends on whether you are the "skim over the highlights" or "really study the collections" type of museum goers.

But jumping out of town immediately after arriving before you have totally gotten over your probable jet lag and rushing to Oxford, Stratford (and Warwick hopefully) and through the cotswolds will leave you exhausted and feeling like you didn't see anything.

I don't have the disdain for Stratford that many Fodorites do - but it is somewhere I visit for RSC plays or the Shakespeare properties while staying in Oxford or in the Cotswolds. it is not a place I would stay overnight. And if I were in that area for just one day I would much rather see Warwick Castle than Stratford.

If you have not been to London before I'd suggest you spend the entire time there w/ maybe one day trip to Oxford OR Stratford. But you only have 6 days total so I really don't recommend doing either one. Hampton Court Palace or Windsor would be more practical day trips for such a short visit if you simply had to get out of town.

And -- if you HAVE been to London before then I suggest you cut back on the time in London and spend more time in the Oxford/Cotswold area.
Aug 4th, 2004, 10:56 PM

zwho - gosh what a rushed trip. It sounds like you haven't visited London or Britain before, and trying to cramp as much in, as possible.
Firstly, depending on where you are coming from, you may have a bit of jet lag, and will want to rest up the first day.
Use the Hop On-Hop Off buses, to go around a particular circuit for a complete run, just to orientate yourself, then on the 2nd run, hop off to visit certain locations, then get back on, and onto the next attraction, but don't whatever you do, try to cramp too much in. London is a busy, crowded city, and it will tire you very quickly.
Use the parks, like Hyde Park, to relax in, they do help to get away from the traffic & crowds.
After visiting the Cotswolds, you will wonder why you didn't spend more time in that area. Try to spend at least 2 full days in this wonderful part of England. If you do rent a car, might I suggest some of my favourites villages & towns in the Cotswolds.....a lot of people don't realise that the Cotswolds stretch from below Stratford, almost down to Bath.
My favouritesbr /> 1. Castle Combe
2. "White Har" Inn at nearby Ford.
3. Lacock (on the edge of the Cotswolds)
Northern Cotswolds -
4. Snowshill, Stanton, Stow on Wold, Upper & Lower Slaughter, Bibury (trout in the stream & good pub nearby), "Falkland Arms" Inn at Great Tew, "Pear Tree" Inn at Hook Norton, Welford on Avon, Broadway, and for a real treat, visit the "Fleece Inn" at Bretforton (east of Evesham)
Another driving treat, would be to follow the Canal where possible by road, from Natpon on the HIll, down towards Banbury & Oxford.
HAppy travels, Leigh.
Aug 4th, 2004, 10:56 PM

zwho - gosh what a rushed trip. It sounds like you haven't visited London or Britain before, and trying to cramp as much in, as possible.
Firstly, depending on where you are coming from, you may have a bit of jet lag, and will want to rest up the first day.
Use the Hop On-Hop Off buses, to go around a particular circuit for a complete run, just to orientate yourself, then on the 2nd run, hop off to visit certain locations, then get back on, and onto the next attraction, but don't whatever you do, try to cramp too much in. London is a busy, crowded city, and it will tire you very quickly.
Use the parks, like Hyde Park, to relax in, they do help to get away from the traffic & crowds.
After visiting the Cotswolds, you will wonder why you didn't spend more time in that area. Try to spend at least 2 full days in this wonderful part of England. If you do rent a car, might I suggest some of my favourites villages & towns in the Cotswolds.....a lot of people don't realise that the Cotswolds stretch from below Stratford, almost down to Bath.
My favouritesbr /> 1. Castle Combe
2. "White Har" Inn at nearby Ford.
3. Lacock (on the edge of the Cotswolds)
Northern Cotswolds -
4. Snowshill, Stanton, Stow on Wold, Upper & Lower Slaughter, Bibury (trout in the stream & good pub nearby), "Falkland Arms" Inn at Great Tew, "Pear Tree" Inn at Hook Norton, Welford on Avon, Broadway, and for a real treat, visit the "Fleece Inn" at Bretforton (east of Evesham)
Another driving treat, would be to follow the Canal where possible by road, from Natpon on the HIll, down towards Banbury & Oxford.
Hapy travels, Leigh. (PS, remember to slow down & smell the roses)
Aug 5th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Hi, I had to divide this into 2 postings. I guess you could say we are planning alot. 2 of us us have been to London, 2 haven't. We're going to the Cotwolds so the 2 of us who have been here before will see something new. Lifes a compromise! You have given me lots to think about. Maybe we should just spend the 2 days in the Cotwolds and forget about Oxford and Stratford. We already edited out Bath. Hate to admit it, but on the Museums and Galleries, we probably won't spend more then 1 or 2 hours at each. What can I say, we only have so many days. We're in our (very) early 50s, college educated, but more of shoppers then scholars. But, my favorite thing to do from my last trip to London was Speakers Corner. I can see the Rosetta Stone, appreciate what it is, but since I don't know hierogylphics, how much time do I need to see all that stuff? Thanks again.
Aug 5th, 2004, 09:47 AM

YOU EDITED OUT BATH?!! Big Mistake. - You want to go to Stratford instead of Bath? Bath is one of the most beautiful totally English places you will ever see. Any trip to England - that consists of more than just London - that doesn't do at least a day trip in Bath is just wrong!!!

Sorry, I am VERy passionate about this. Can't help it. LOL!