London - day trip recommendation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in London in July and have a choice of taking a day trip to the Cotswolds and Strafforn-on-Avon or a trip to Stonehenge and Bath. recommendations??????
What is there to see in Bath???
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 07:28 PM
P_M

Of the places you named I would choose Stratford-on-Avon, especially if you are a Shakespeare fan. Stratford is a very nice little town and I thought it was interesting to learn more about Shakespeare and visit his home.

Please forgive me for this, but it's Stratford, not Strafforn. I know, everyone hates the spelling police, but if you are going to google info on Stratford, it's important to spell it correctly.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 08:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
On the other hand, if you don't have much interest in Shakespeare you might not find much of interest in Stratford-upon-Avon. And the Cotswolds are not best seen as a "drive thru". One should stay a couple of days (or week is even better) since the Cotswolds is not an area full of major sites - but more small villages/pubs/country walks. If I was doing a day trip up that way (and Shakespeare wasn't a major reason for going) I'd take the train to Warwick instead of Stratford and explore that town/church and spend at LEAST 4 hours at the castle.

You haven't told us anything about what sorts of things you like so it is hard to give advice -- but hey, that hasn't stopped us yet

Bath might make a better day trip - there are the Roman Baths, some <b>Gorgeous</b> architecture, parks, and so on.

If it were me I would not pay the high fees for an organized tour to either place - I'd take a train from Paddington to Bath (or Warwick, or Stratford) and explore on my own . . . . .
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 08:55 PM

Another vote for Bath. Beautiful town. The afternoon tea in the Pump Room with live piano music is so nice!
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help....oops sorry I did misspell Stratford!