Only one day trip from London

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had only one day trip from London, where would it be? And why?

I'm going in September with my 18 month old toddler and my parents. We're travelling by train and wouldn't want to travel more than 1-2 hours in either direction.)

I was set on Bath but recent posts listing other locations have me confused.

Thanks in advance,
Kat
Old May 29th, 2004, 03:22 AM

I think Bath probably would be my first choice. I didn't do it by train as a day trip - we went there on a trip where we rented a car as we left London and Bath was our first stop. We spent the night. But I know lots of people do it as a day trip. I really loved the ambiance of the town, the Roman Baths were beautiful and interesting. Thinking about it though I think I really like the Italian/Roman feeling of some of the architecture (must have been having Italy withdrawal). But it certainly had an "English" town feel also. The cathedral is also beautiful, as is the bridge (again, reminded me of Italy).

As actual day trips from London on the train I've done Cambridge, Warwick and Brighton and would do any of them again but of those Warwick would be my first choice - nice town as well as fantastic castle. But of all of them my first choice would be Bath. The only place I would not bother to go back to was Stratford-upon-Avon.

Old May 29th, 2004, 05:01 AM

I second Bath we did take the train and it was a very easy day trip. The Roman baths were very interesting. Warwick was our favorite castle but I think it would be easier seen by car.
Old May 29th, 2004, 05:21 AM
ira

Hi,

Bath is interesting. So is Oxford.
Old May 29th, 2004, 06:09 AM

I am in total agreement with Isabel.
Bath was a wonderful day trip outside of London, and very easy by train.

It is different and unique, and very easy to enjoy for a day. I made that visit many years ago by train, and can't remember exactly how long the ride was, but it was definitely a short ride.
I also liked Warwick Castle as another option.
Statford-upon-Avon was something I did not enjoy at all, and unless you are a huge Shakespeare fan I think there are so many more enjoyable options.

I enjoyed Oxford, but with only 1 day for your "Out Of London" day trip, Bath or Warwick would be my choice as favorites. Just note, I did quite a bit of walking in Bath from the train station and to the Royal Crescent, etc. So that may cramp your style with a 18 month old toddler. But, I enjoyed walking around the town. There are many places to eat, shop, and visit in Bath as well.
Old May 29th, 2004, 07:15 AM

I think it very much depends on you and your interests.

I enjoyed Bath very much - but not more than a lot of other places. So - are you looking for a castle? a historic cathedral? a great univeristy town? a seaside resort? a great naval museum? with a toddler you might like a shorter trip - such as Windsor. Or a mini cruise to Greenwich or Hampton Court Palace.

I would get a good guide book about London day trips (there are several) and read in detail to decide which you will enjoy most.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. I'm glad to hear that Bath is "all that"... after reading a previous post about all the wonderful day trips from London I got a bit worried that Bath wasn't high on the list. My husband really wants to go there so it should be fun for us.

~k
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 07:47 PM

Once you arrive in Bath, I would recommend the double decker Guide Friday bus tour. It will give you a nice overview of the city and minimize walking with the baby.