Notices

Bath as a day trip from London

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Nelly

Bath as a day trip from London

My husband and I will be in London for a week starting this Sat. He would like to get out of the city to see some of the lovely English countryside he has read/heard about? I was thinking of taking the train to bath. Is it possible to see something in the Cotswolds in the same day? Would love to go to a artsy little town on the seaside. Should we skip Bath and go to somewhere else for the day? Thanks so much.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Debbie

I think Bath is a great day trip from London.
We actually spent 2 days there, but a day trip would be fine.
Take an early enough train so that you can go on the free walking tour of the city ( I want to say it leaves about 10:30) then when you get back you can have lunch (pump room?) and tour the Abbey & the Baths.

We also did an actual day trip from London , over to Cardiff in Wales. The Castle there is quite unusual, and the town itself is fun to wander down the streets, shopping, etc.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Marilyn

Bath is lovely and certainly worth an entire day. But it is a small city, filled with parks and greenery, but still a city. So if you want to see the countryside, you might consider a different day trip. Cotswolds or even Devon.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 11:23 AM
mm

After spending 3 days in Bath my wife and I drove to London. Easy drive, mostly on high speed roads.

Earlier we drove from Heathrow to Salisbury, Stonehenge, and then to Bath. That was high speed roads to just outside Salisbury and nice country roads to Bath. That is a nice day-trip.

MM

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 03:46 PM
jeff

Hi Nelly,
If you go to Bath, make sure you have dinner at Sally Lunn's. I have eaten there several times and have always enjoyed it. Have one of the Sally Lunn Buns.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Andy

Nelly-- A good day trip into the Cotswolds would be Broadway-- it is a little touristy, but a neat town to wander in--

Devon is an awesome little town to go thru-you can definitely kill an entire day in DEVON- and make sure to get their scones with clotted cream..the BEST in England....

Bath is wonderful, but a larger city-ALL uphill- lots of walking--nice antique shops --cute restaurants....

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 04:53 PM
nancy

If you decide on Bath via train be sure to take a Guide Friday bus tour to get an overview. You can then do whatever you want and hop back on the bus to another place. I spent a day and one night (not necessary to spend the night especially if you catch an early train) and saw everything of interest. The Abbey, baths, Sally Lunn's, Pulteney Bridge (not very interesting) are all within walking distance of the main area.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 11:22 AM
GJ

We just visited Bath for the first time today. It's a great city. The Roman Baths are worth a visit and the rest of the day can be spent simply walking the city. There are plenty of shops to visit.

We drove through the Cotswolds the day before (Burton on the Water, Slaughters & Stow on the Wold). I'd recommend visiting them seperately from Bath. It would be a lot to do in one day.

Enjoy!

GJ