Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have been downsized and no longer have a job. How do I apply for overseas positions?

Notices

Have been downsized and no longer have a job. How do I apply for overseas positions?

Old Mar 9th, 2003, 02:11 PM
cd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, I'm writing for my husband and I know this is not a job forum but anything I can do to make it travel related, I will. I have been on the net and find that he needs a work permit. His father was born in Hungary, do you know if that would qualify him for a work permit? Can you recommend websites or books for information? Thank you for any help!
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 05:50 PM

I don't know much about these, but here goes:
Rick Steve's graffiti wall has "Working overseas" section (mostly military-related positions in support functions)
if you have any business skills (accountant, finance, marketing+language skills) check out Vault.com, or any other MBAjobs related websites: they routinely list jobs available for business professionals overseas..

Good luck!!!!

Old Mar 9th, 2003, 06:18 PM

cd: I'm not familiar with the laws in Hungary, but can only speak from general experience in Europe. If your husband had a parent or grandparent born in Hungary, there is a chance he can obtain Hungarian citizenship (Ireland and at least another one or two European countries have such an arrangement - I don't know about Hungary). Call the Hungarian Embassy to find out. With Hungarian citizenhip (which will no doubt take months to obtain, if it is obtainable), he would theoretically be entitled to a work permit - if he had a job lined up. He'd have to prove he could do something that available Hungarians, and probably other Europeans, couldn't do. The prospects are slim.
Better route is to get hired by an American company that would provide him with the work permit to work in their enterprise in Hungary. Does he speak Hungarian? If not, he's probably no more useful than anyone else wanting an American company to send them to Hungary.
Don't mean to sound negative, but it's extremely hard for an American to get work in a Europe where unemployment is so high and there is no reason to look outside for new employees unless they can bring something very special to the table and have the right papers in hand.
He would certainly not qualify for a work permit solely on the basis of having a parent who was born in Hungary.
Your best bet is to contact the Hungrian Embassy in any event.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 06:39 PM
cd
Original Poster

Thanks Katie12 for the web site and thanks StCirq for information that confirms what I thought was true.We were just hoping to make lemonade out of this lemon by living overseas for two years until he retires. His qualifications are excellent but not any better then many who already live there.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 09:05 PM

Don't give up! It's true it's very difficult to get an expat job in Europe, but have you considered other areas of the world like Asia or South America? It's much easier for an American to get a job in those places, and for a person with excellent credentials, should not be much more difficult than a states-based job search (particularly if you're not holding out for a huge relocation package & schooling for your children). While of course it won't allow you to take weekend trips to Europe, some travel expenses may be covered by the company & you might get more travel time - we end up in Europe 2 - 3 times per year.

The best way to research (either for Europe or other places) is to go to google and type in "expatriate Hungary" or whatever the destination.

A few resources are:

http://www.expatexpert.com/links/
This is a good site in itself, and the links page offers over 100 links to expat-related sites with a good description of each.

http://www.iht.com/expatguide.html – Rather weak at the moment, but I anticipate it will improve.

Good luck!

[email protected]
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 11:59 PM

English teachers are always in demand. A TEFL teacher certification is necessary. Salaries are low! Accomodations are usually provided. Try City University, Bellvue, WA.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 02:58 AM
cd
Original Poster

Thanks Andrea and GSteed. I have the majority of today to spend on the computer so I will spend time looking up that information.