Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for hotel recommendations - Rome and Venice

Old Sep 9th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are combining a land and cruise vacation next June. We've already booked an apartment in Rome, with some help from here for after the cruise - so that is taken care of.

We're a party of 6 - a family of 4 with 2 kids (ages 11 and 13 - boy and girl) and my parents, in their mid 60's.

I'm looking for a hotel for our first night in Rome, before our cruise. Ideally I'd like for it to be in an area where we could do some moderate sightseeing after we arrive. We may do a Colosseum tour that first afternoon. The next morning, maybe a quick walking food tour before heading to the port. We're looking for a quad and a double - not so easy to find. The quad would hopefully have twin beds for the kids and a double for us. We aren't looking for 5 star luxury, but something where we won't have to carry luggage up steps. Possibly 3-4 star?

And a similar type accommodation in Venice. We will be there for 2 nights. We will be dropping off a rental car (not sure where that drop off is at this point) - but I'd like to find a place that we don't have to drag luggage too far (thinking mainly of my parents and the kids). Someplace that we can get to easily from the canals? Again a quad and a double room.

Since in Rome it's one night and Venice only 2 nights, I don't think apartments are options due to minimum number of night stays.

Thank you for suggestions!
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Hmmmm - I want to clarify that a bit - for the rooms - a quad room with a double bed and two twins and then a double room for my parents. So, two rooms. When I went back and re-read my post it seemed a little confusing. Sorry!

Thanks!
Shelley
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 09:52 AM

You need to start searching for hotels that have family rooms - since that's the only way to get a double and 2 singles (which is an unusual combo). Also you need to be very clear that your kids are adults - not toddlers - so they don;t try to give you a cot (which is British English for a crib).

Once you find that, you shouldn't have any trouble getting a double in the same hotel.

Also - it would help if you give a budget for each room.

The best place to drop off a car is the Piazzale Roma (the end of the causeway into Venice). From there a would take a water taxi (expensive - but sensible with 6 people with luggage - so it can drop you at the dock closest to your hotel (as opposed to vaporetto - which has service at a limited number of stops and might mean a longer walk hauling you luggage over bridges).

In either case, be sure the each kid packs so they can haul their own luggage. OR, that you pick a hotel that either has it's own dock (but these are usually upscale) or is willing to send someone to help you to the nearest dock.

(In Venice we always get a hotel with a private dock, which really simplifies matters - esp if each person has more than a single carry-on).
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 10:39 AM

In Rome, we stayed at the Albergo del Senato in their mini apartment which had a queen bed in the loft area and 2 twins downstairs.

In Venice, we stayed at the Al Ponte Mocenigo in their junior suite which had a large queen bed and 2 twins.

Both hotels were terrific and in great locations. Highly recommend.
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 11:59 AM

I stayed at Al Ponte Mocenigo for Carnevale this February and couldn't have been happier. First, because of the excellent accomodation and hospitality, and second, because EVERYTIME I got lost, I just hopped on the vaporetto that went to their stop and I was home! The best was a ride around the Grand Canal at night~ along with the seafood risotto at DaRomano on Burano (http://www.daromano.it/eng/chisiamo.htm) - totally worth it!