Youth TravelCard/4 weeks advance order?

Sep 8th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Youth TravelCard/4 weeks advance order?

Every time I think I have our England transportation figured out, there's fine print someplace that pretty much says, "No, you can't do that."

We are a family of four -- husband and wife, two teen daughters. I thought we'd get a 7-day TravelCard for our time in London, plus a 3-day BritRail pass for our travels in and around Yorkshire, Nottingham, etc., since we don't know what our schedule will be those days and want the flexibility of hopping on and off and going wherever we feel like.

But a 7-day TravelCard for a youth requires a photo ID ... am I reading the info correctly that it MUST be applied for four weeks in advance? Or does that just apply to online orders?

Are we able to walk up to one of the selected rail stations and walk about with 7-day TravelCards for our teen daughters? From the way the National Rail site reads, the only way to work around the 4-week advance order deadline (and we are already past that deadline) is to go to one of the chosen rail stations *every day* and get a 1-day TravelCard for each child.

I know we'll get through this, but it is far more complicated than it first appears. Just trying to trudge through the labyrinth and come out with convenient, affordable travel accommodations on the other side.

Thanks --

Kandace
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:53 PM

Hi Kandace

I'm not speaking from personal experience here so perhaps someone more experienced can correct me if I'm wrong.

I assume you are talking about the 7-day travelcard from National Rail which will allow for the 2-for-1's. The way I read it, you can walk up to "any staffed location" and apply for the card. It's considered a varient of the "Season Ticket". See link below:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_...n_tickets.html

(scroll down to the when and where part) -- you do need a photo ID

More generic info from flanneruk on a previous post

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...travelcard.cfm

Now, for others that might be interested, one can apply for an 11-15 Oyster Card online (for £10) and pick it up on arrival

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14310.aspx

but it sounds like the National Rail option is better in your case

Good luck
Sep 8th, 2012, 11:05 PM

Every national rail 7 day pass requires a photo now, even the adults.
Sep 8th, 2012, 11:09 PM

There are automatic photobooths that take the required size of photo all over the place, and any station ticket office will know where the nearest one is - quite often in a station concourse, usually in a nearby shopping centre.
Sep 9th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I figure we can just have additional passport photos printed ... and after more digging, it looks like this is something we can do onsite (the 4-week advance time applies only to online orders, I guess), but the info could sure be written more clearly.

So our key points are:
- have our photos ready and
- go to the correct rail station (because, even though you can get a TravelCard or OysterCard lots of places, not every place "counts" for the 2-for-1 deals)

All the more reason for mass transit in the U.S. -- then these things wouldn't seem so foreign to us.

Kandace
Sep 9th, 2012, 11:27 AM

>> So our key points are:
- have our photos ready and
- go to the correct rail station (because, even though you can get a TravelCard or OysterCard lots of places, not every place "counts" for the 2-for-1 deals)<<

There's only an issue here for your travel from Heathrow to Purley, since Heathrow doesn't have a national rail station that can sell you the travelcard in the format that will cover the 2for1s. As I understand it, you planned to go the Natural History Museum en route to Purley, though I doubt you could park your luggage at the museum, so that may not be so practicable. But if you were going to do that by public transport, you'd get everyone an Oyster at Heathrow, and ask the clerk to put enough on each one to cover one trip on the Piccadilly Line to South Kensington for the museum, and then the District Line from South Kensington to Victoria. There you would go upstairs to the mainline national rail station to get your 7-day travelcards, which would cover you for the 2for1s, and all train, tube and bus travel for the rest of your stay.

But there remains the question of how you manage your luggage en route, if you do it that way round (maybe you could visit in shifts while some of you guard the luggage outside or in a cafe somewhere, but it doesn't sound very convenient).
Sep 9th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Luggage is not a concern -- we never pack more than carry-on, and it's usually in the form of a good backpack in case we end up between hotels. It's a game amongst us to see who can pack the least.

Thank you for spelling this out for me. I really appreciate it!

Kandace