Looking for Advice on Samos

Apr 4th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Looking for Advice on Samos

Hi All,

My husband and I are planning to travel from Athens to Samos on May 6 or 7 for two nights, and we wondered if anyone could recommend:

1) A nice bed and breakfast or hotel, on the romantic side, with easy access to sights and restaurants? We're willing to spend up to $150 or thereabouts per night.

2) The best, most efficient and quick way to get one-way travel from Athens to Samos? I assume we will need to fly. How/where do we buy tickets? Do we wait till we arrive in Athens for the best price?

Any and all advice is most appreciated. Thanks so much.
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:44 PM

You can buy e-tickets right now online from the Aegean Airlines website. Their prices are better than Olympic Airlines.

http://www.aegeanair.com/aegeanen/home/index.asp
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

thank you Brotherlee. Any advice on hotels by any chance?
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:59 PM

Sorry, can't help you there.
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:28 PM

We stayed in Samos for a week a few years ago and stayed at the town of Pythagorion. It is lovely and is much nicer than the main town.
There is a long stretch of beach near the airport with several upscale hotels. It is about a 15 minute walk into town for dining on the waterfront tavernas.

We stayed in town but on reflection I think it would have been better to stay at the beach because the hotels there were much nicer.

Sorry I don't have any hotel names but you should be able to find hotels on the beaches near Pythagorion.

The town has a small museum which has wonderful statues.During Roman times Pythagorion had a population of over 60,000 and it has some really good Roman ruins. There is a Roman Bath near the beach that is as good as the one at Ephesus and was free. There was a tunnel carved through the mountain to divert water to the town which was a wonder to visit however I am not sure if it is still open. If it is don't miss it.
Apr 4th, 2007, 07:38 PM

We are going to Samos in May -- and when booking lodging it seemed to be best to go through a booking agent. Our first choice was booked (Fito Bay) so we are putting in at Maritsa Bay hotel. http://www.travelbagtours.com/
Apr 5th, 2007, 04:00 AM

DON'T wait to get tickets to Samos! If you're lucky you can get those $19 Aegean Air tickets...but hurry.

I've stayed in Samos twice at Hotel Pythagoras, which isn't IN Pythagoras, but in Vathy, the main town. It's a small family hotel, and in May it's only about 25E per double, and you can ask for a balcony on the bay. Sorry it'ls not more expensive! It's simple but nice, restaurant on premises for breakfast, easy walk to small beaches and to sites in town such as museum -- LOVELY restaurant right next door -- last year it only opened on May 16 but maybe you'll get lucky.

Wonderful walk to the "high town" (called Ano Vathy)... old houses draped in flowers, wondeful views of Vathy Bay... remind one of a Lake Como vista, tall cypresses, teal-bllue water.

If you plan side trips to Ephesus or Chios, ferries leave from Vathy quay, very convenient.
Apr 5th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

These are wonderful suggestions. Thanks so much.
Apr 5th, 2007, 07:08 AM

Samos is a fabulous choice,a green island,with mountain villages and waterfalls and of course the greek feeling.
You could also try the Arion hotel in Kokkari wich is one of the most picturesque villages of the island www.arion-hotel.com
The service ,the breakfast, and the food served for half board guests is outstanding.

When in Samos do not miss the Vourliotes Village and the Pnaka spring,
the nearby Manolates, Ayios Kostantinos and have seafood at Ayios Nikolaos at a restaurant called Psarades-the fishermen.
Pythagorion is a gem and do not miss Psili ammos if you are looking for a sandy beach.