COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Mykanos Hotels

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Mykanos Hotels

I need help with lodging in Mykanos,whatever pricing, I want a great location nice views..we will be traveling in April arriving around the 8th
and staying a couple of nights, I have not found much on hotels in Mykanos. Where are the favorite spots ? Any help would be most welcome...thank you ...
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:45 PM

http://mykonos-accommodation.com/pri...of-mykonos.htm

Excellent choice...about 170E's..great location and it's own quiet beach. We loved it...the web page has fine pix..Ted and Jane Turner (Fonda) stayed here frequently. The owner is a Greek named Ted and he offers rides into town every day...although it can be walked.

Stu T.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:10 PM

Type "Thanos_GR" in the 'search this forum' window and read his postings regarding hotels on Mykonos. He lives there and has very comprehensive information.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 11:52 AM

Thank you, Lee. I find the message!

Newport, what is your budget for each evening? It is easier for me if you let me know as there are some very expensive hotels here and some very reasonable pricing hotels.

Also, you are very early in season and temperature will be cooler and maybe more windy. Some beach areas are exposed so perhaps you want to stay in town? Please remember also that not all hotels, bars and restaurants will be open but I will find some for you that will be.

thanos

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 02:10 PM

I don't know if you want to stay at the beach or in town, but we loved the Petasos Town Hotel. It was inexpensive and had great views!
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Hi Thanos, I have been reading your very valuable information with great interest. We will fly into Mykonos on April 7th and then most likely be there for 3 nights. From there we thought we hop on a ferry and stop in Naxos spend a night and then go to Santorini. We leave for Athens on the 14th from Santorini. Would we be able to stay in a nice place for $150-$175 per night ? I would love your suggestions....thank you
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 03:54 PM

hello newport

I will give you some hotel recomendations for the town. If you need recomendations for beach hotels please let me know.

I say many times here that I think the Rochari disctrict in the town is best. It is about 5 mins from the harbour area but is very quiet also. I have checked your budget for each hotel and as it is early season you can get rooms no problem with that amount and a lot less also. I look at room for two peoples.

Also, please, if you see hotels offering room on Mykonos and called a 'garden room' then you will not have sea view. Is best to tell hotel that you do not want garden room.

I first recommend Hotel Semeli. This is in Rochari Street and hotel front looks onto the small lane. I need to say it is not a street with cars so it is quiet. Semeli is open all year and gets very good reviews. It does not have sea view as is lower down hill but if windy that is not so bad! Its address isbr />
http://www.semelihotel.gr/

Second is Hotel Rochari. Again, do not request garden view at this hotel. Ask Stavroula for Sea View and you will very much enjoy it. This hotel is very nice and has many return visitors. It's address isbr />
http://www.rochari.com

At the time you are travelling you will posssble get room at Belvedere Hotel which is 4 star next to Hotel Rochari. I check there site for you but they have no rates. They dont get business if no rates! Crazy. If you find rates then make sure you ask for front room. There rooms at back of hotel look onto very busy noisy road with barking dog. I live close to it.

Another good hotel but on other side of harbour with great views is Harmony Hotel. Small size but friendly people. They say 5 minutes walk to town but being honest is maybe 10 to 15 minutes. Views are great though. The site isbr />
http://www.harmonyhotel.gr/

Hotel Cavo Tagoo is also on same side of port as Harmony Hotel but this is a 4 star and is OK for your budget because still out of season. In Mykonos this is a famous hotel and first to have well known people like Jane Fonda. The site isbr />
http://www.cavotagoo.gr/

(please be careful if searching for hotel reviews as there is another called 'Hotel Tagoo')

I recommend you check each out on Trip Advisor maybe. If I had to chose two it would be Hotel Rochari or Cavo Tagoo.

If you need details of hotels out of town please tell me and I will give you some.

thanos

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 05:42 PM

Another vote for Princess of Mykonos; friendly, helpful staff, large, well-appointed rooms, great buffet breakfast in charming room.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanos, thank you so much for the detailed information. Cavo Tagoo will not be open at the time we arrive so I have sent an email to Hotel Rochari. The web site is nice and the rooms look lovely. I was kind of wondering what the difference was between the double and suite? Do you know ? The suite was $130 in early April. I think it will be fun to stay near town and then cruise the beaches during the day. What is the typicall weather in early April ? So far all of the hotels I have emailed have not responded I am guessing they are closed for winter ? Any local dinner spots are most welcome !!! Thanks again !
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 02:04 PM

hi Newport

I will find out difference in Rochari room for you tomorrow and post back here. Also, I will provide other information at same time. Do not worry about hotels coming back to you. If hotel is closed for winter then usually always someone visit to collect messages maybe every 3 days.

thanos
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 01:18 AM

Whilst you are waiting on thanos getting back to you, I have lodged at Hotel Rochari for a number of years and can recommend it.

The Rochari suites are larger rooms which can be split in two if required. The room has a balcony with table and chairs to let you sit and enjoy the views. Those views are fantastic as is the staff. Great food too at the hotel most of which comes from the the hotel family's farm. Also, it may be cold in the evenings early to mid-April but their airconditioning units are powerful and will keep the heatign at a very comfortable level. I was there once in late October when the season had changed and the AC was very effective in keeping the room warm.

I recommend (Suite) Room 10.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 01:55 PM

hello newport

I have the information for you.

The bedrooms that are not suites are normal European size with two individual beds or one double bed. Those facing the sea (which you should ask for and not the Rochari garden rooms) all have a balcony or terrace. They also have safe deposit, air condition, fridge, TV and bathroom with shower. This is the picture on left on this page.

http://www.rochari.com/page2.htm

In the Hotel Rochari grounds when it was built was a tradional Mykonos house. They have converted some rooms in this house to suites, again those rooms you must ask for are sea view. The suite is much bigger, two times size of ordinary room. they have sofa, chairs, table, another bed in different part of room as well as main bed, plus TV, fridge and the usual other stuff same as other rooms.

If you look at this picture the building with suites is bottom left in picture.

http://www.rochari.com/page21.htm

Wethaer will be changing a lot in April. Some days sunny some days not. Maybe mid50 up to mid-60s. Is difficult to be correct. Maybe to, some winds which make our city cooler.

Sure I can recommend restaurants. Please tell me the kind of food you enjoy and I will return to you here.

thanos
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanos it seems that many places are closed on the dates we will be in towm. Hotel Rochari and Cavo Tagoo both sent emails and said they will not open until April 14th and we need lodging April 7-10th. Any other ideas for me ? Should I try Hotel Belvedere ?Thanks for all of your efforts...
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 05:46 PM

Newport,

I am sorry that Cavo Tagoo will not be open...I was just about to recommend it. We stayed there and it was amazing!!!! Next time. . .

Sorry, this is totally not helpful, but honestly, I can't think of a place that would be better than Cavo Tagoo.

Good luck!
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

I have to say I am just a bit worried that we may be traveling at an off time and
have this problem all over the Greek Islands. We are in Greece April-6-the 15th. Any thoughts across the board ??
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 01:56 AM

Newport, have you heard from the other hotel thanos mentioned, the Semeli? It markets itself as being open all year round.

Also, take a look at this address that gives details of 'winter' hotels in Mykonos (scroll to bottom of page for the hotels list):

http://mykonos-accommodation.com/autumn-winter.htm

bill
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gang for all the insight ! I have emailed Harmony Hotel in hopes that they will be open. Any thoughts on this pick ?? Lord, I wonder what it will be like in Santorini if so much is closed on Mykonos...
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Billbarr have you been to Greece off season ? The Harmony Hotel looked interesting and it got great reviews. The Semeli seems fine but Thanos said it did not have sea views and we really want a seaview....I am hoping The Harmony will respond they were on your suggested web site...
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 02:05 PM

hi newport

I have been to Mykonos off season(ish) many times. I enjoy the island late October when it is quieter. I have also visited at the end of April and in mid-May. Each time I have stayed at Hotel Rochari. All times were great apart from mid-May as the island had thousand of students from Athens visiting for a weekend and it was chaotic. That is an annual outing for them, I understand.

I know the Semeli and it is located exactly where Thanos has described. It is certainly on a lower level just down from the Belvedere and Hotel Rochari and I don't think sea views will be available from bedrooms. Perhaps the public areas of the hotel will have them. If I recall correctly the pool is at a slightly higher level and a town view will be available there.

I am sure some folks here have stayed at the Semeli so it may be worthwhile creating a new thread with the title Hotel Semeli, Mykonos and others may pick up on it.

I need to emphasise that it is a very nice hotel with great facilities.

The Harmony will have the better views though. No doubt about that. I think it is quite a new hotel and unfortunately I know nothing about it.

Any more questions, ask away.

Bill
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bill, I am waiting for the Harmony to email us back since I would love to have a room with a sea view. We are pretty much going to let the rest kind of flow since I am not sure what will be open. Hotel Rochari is closed while we are in Mykonos, I am going to email a couple of hotels in Naxos and Paros just to see what is up as well as Santorini. Any favorites ? Also interested in day trips, restaurants and favorite beaches...thanks so much for your help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO