Mykonos Town or Beach?

Search

Mykonos Town or Beach?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mykonos Town or Beach?

Hi All - I am just getting started with my planning for a trip to Greece in June 2008. Can't wait!!

I will be spending 3 nights in Mykonos (the other time split between Crete, Santorini and Athens)...

In Mykonos, would you recommend staying at a hotel/resort in Mykonos town or on the beach??

Currently, a travel agent I've been speaking with has recommended that I stay on the beach in Mykonos...I will be staying in towns in Santorini and Crete (most likely), so she suggested that I spend my time on the beach in Mykonos.

I do like the beach, but I've heard Mykonos town is beautiful and I LOVE windy streets, getting lost in quaint, beautiful towns, etc.

Any suggestions?? If I did stay on the beach, how far is it to town?? Would love some advice from travel "veterans" who have been to Greece. Thanks so much!
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 06:06 PM

We stayed at Grecotel Blu in Mykonos (on the beach) two summers ago, and regretted not being closer to town. Although we weren't far from the bus stop, it was a pain to rely on bus service to get back and forth, and it was nearly impossible to get a taxi when we wanted one. If I were to plan our trip over, I'd definitely opt for staying right in town.
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 07:06 PM

I decided to stay in town based on the recommendations of a friend who lives there. The beaches are nice during the day and can be reached by a good bus service but at night there are more choices for cafes and nightclubs in the main town of Mykonos. I stayed at the Rohari which is far enough from the night club scene to be quiet but close enough to crawl to!

You'll like the maze of streets at night as the stores usually open to midnight with all the alleys lite up.
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 09:23 PM

Hi

Well it really boils down to where you would spend the most time. I too love the beach and the Grecotel Blu seems like a luxury hotel I would be checking out to stay if I could afford it. I stayed near the town because my wife is not a "sun worshipper" otherwise I would have stayed on the beach and commuted when I needed to into town. You could look into hiring a car (no, not a scooter unless you are an experienced rider) if you wanted to avoid buses and taxis. Mykonos Town or Chora is lovely and fulfills your criteria of "..windy streets, getting lost in quaint, beautiful towns..." In fact the town was originally constructed so that marauding pirates would get lost in it! No doubt you will as well but that is part of the fun

Old Dec 16th, 2007, 01:57 AM

The Hotel Rochari is in area of the same name. It is difficult to translate, but here Rohari means watering area for animals. Behind the hotle at the lower side of it is a small lane that was a little river a long times ago. It is this lane you use to travel to town. The harbour front is only about 7 minutes walk and you are close to bars and restaurants.

This is a nice area of town, quiet but close to everything you need.

Also, there are good hotels here also in this part of town. Not just Hotel Rochari but also the Belvedere, Semeli and the Elena. Many budgets are catered for.

All the hotels look down to the Lakka district where you will find a small outdoor theatre where in summer local productions happen. This year there was much traditional Myconian dancing and singing.

Worldinabag mentions the pirate story. Another is that our streets were built like this to give protection from the strong winds. In truth, we will never know.

thanos
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 04:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We stayed in Mykonos town when we were there and loved being so close to restaurants and shops. The town is very picturesque. Our hotel had a seaview, it was up behind the windmills you see in so many photos of the island. If we went again, we would definitely stay in the town.

If you want to visit the beach, you can catch a bus in the morning, come back in the afternoon then you are within easy reach of restaurants and wandering around the lanes in the evening.
Kay
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 05:25 AM

We wouldn't go back to Grecotel Blu. It was too far from town without a car, and insanely overpriced for mediocre rooms and food.