Londons Shows

Old May 7th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Londons Shows

We definatley want to see a show while we are in London. I am pretty set on Dirty Dancing. I have been told just to go down there to get tickets. Do they have a 1/2 ticket booth like NYC and Vegas? What are your recommendations for getting tickets. Any recommendations for fantastic shows. We ahve seen quite a bit of them in the US
Old May 7th, 2008, 04:08 PM

wE REALLY LIKED mAMAmIA AND REALLY DI D not like Avenue Q. If you can't get tickets at the half peice booth in Leicester Square go to the theatre, they will have tickets at good prices, especially if you are over 60 !
Old May 7th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Do you need to get to the 1/2 price ticket booth early and will they only sell them that day? Do you think we could just head down there and find tickets a few hours before the show. o they dress up for the theater? In New York people don;t dress up and in Atlanta it is very formal. We want to fit in. Thanks for all your answers.
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:16 PM

I wouldn't count on getting Dirty Dancing tix at 1/2 price. The TKTS booth in Leicester Square has the best seats available on the day of performance. Be sure to go to TKTS in the square, not the "half price" store fronts nearby. Those are all ticket re-sellers/scalpers and most of their tix are over face value.

You do not have to go to TKTS at opening time - in fact you may get better choices later in the day.

To give you an idea - here is what was available at TKTS last Thursday . . . .

MATINEE...
Blood Brothers
Fram
Hello and Goodbye
Stomp
Visiting Mr. Green

EVENING...
Avenue Q
Blood Brothers
Brief Encounter
Buddy
Cabaret
Chicago
Fram
Gone With the Wind
Grease
Hello and Goodbye
Into the Hoods
Lord of the Rings
The Lover / The Collection
Les Miserables
The Sound of Music
Stomp
Spamalot
39 Steps
Visiting Mr. Green
The Vortex

Old May 7th, 2008, 06:26 PM

Hellokittygeorgia--I'm from Atlanta and yes, many people here still "dress up" for a night at the theater or other shows. We don't take dressy with us for most trips, but I typically wear black trousers and top, which fit in anywhere; DH usually wears nice trousers and a collared shirt, no tie or jacket. We look perfectly presentable, and will do the same next week in London.
Barb
Old May 7th, 2008, 08:47 PM

You will see every level of dress at the theatres in London. We've gone in nice clothes and also straight from sightseeing - in our jeans with a few bags to stash under the seats. (btw I'm from Georgia also!)
Old May 7th, 2008, 10:55 PM

<<< and also straight from sightseeing >>>

no doubt to the delight of your neighbours who will have enjoyed your "fragrance"
Old May 8th, 2008, 01:11 AM

Theatre attire in London or New York...

T Shirt (Clean)
Blue Jeans
Sneakers

Whether I'm sitting in the stalls (orchestra) dress circle (mezzanine) or upper circle (balcony)..

Go Gone with the Wind, only open for a couple of weeks, is already available at TKTS...surely soon to be gone period...really got creamed in the reviews....

It is quite true, BTS, that sometimes you can do better later in the day at TKTS as some shows allocate more seats as the day goes along....
Old May 8th, 2008, 05:55 AM

no doubt to the delight of your neighbours who will have enjoyed your "fragrance"

You're jumping to a few conclusions, alanRow. It was a cold cloudy day in March and we'd been to the British Library and the Tower of London. If there was "fragrance" it may have been from the neighbors, but it certainly wasn't from us I can also assure you that our jeans were neat and clean, we are all quite slim, and we didn't talk loudly. On the whole, I think we were model neighbors!
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 10:10 AM
dmlove

Just following up....

We were in London last weekend. On Saturday, we could have gotten very good tickets to Billy Elliott or We Will Rock You (the only two we asked about) as the ticket agencies (not the TKTS booth)were closing - around 5 or 6 p.m. for 30 pounds each (orchestra seats). We didn't want to go that night, so we bought tickets in advance (that night for the next night) for Wicked (the one show everyone in our group wanted to see) - excellent seats (row T center --- we needed 5 seats) for 42.50 pounds each, which compared to NY or full-price London tickets is a bargain. (I paid full price - 60 pounds each plus a 15 pound "convenience fee") for Row E tickets for Dirty Dancing, in advance).

Old Sep 5th, 2008, 09:11 AM

you can also check theatre discount sites like broadwaybox.com which covers london theatre as well, and lets you buy tickets in advance.
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 01:48 PM

I just got back from London on Monday. I saw "We Will Rock You" (Great show) at matinee for 30 pounds (6th row) and I saw "Rainman" (good show and Josh Hartnett is soooo cute!) for 26 pounds (7th row) both bought at The TKTS booth in Leicester Square. Then paid full price for "Jersey Boys" (Fantastic!!!!) and cheaper and better seats then TKTS booths we got at the theatre the day of the show for 60 pounds (7th row center!!!!).

I love London theatre!!!!