Theater tickets & attire 8/11-8/14

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Theater tickets & attire 8/11-8/14

We are staying at the Sheraton Towers, I'm told a block from Times Square. We are curious about the best way to aquire tickets and what to wear. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

tw66
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 03:52 PM

There are plenty of ticket agencies / booth's around Times square. If tickets are in short supply ask your concierge to sort them out (you will pay premium prices for this). Alterantively book on line to be sure of getting the seats to teh show you want.

What to wear? Unless you are going to the opera or the Rocky Horror Picture Show I would have thought Smart-Casual was the order of the day. Enquire whether the theatre is air conditioned.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 03:57 PM

All theaters are air conditioned. the question is - does this one cool only moderately or to the appropriate icy temp? (Few are very cool once the audience is in place - so you won;t need a jacket like you might in a restaurant.)
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 04:50 PM

The Sheraton Towers is more than a block to Times Square the last time I checked but it's still close. The best way to acquire tickets depends on what you want to see. Cheapest is the TKTS booth at TS OR at the South Street Seaport. Pros are cheapest option. Cons are they only take cash, the "hottest" tickets are rarely available, you have to stand on line and you don't know what you'll get. Next cheapest is signing up at one of the websites like playbill.com, theatermania.com, broadwaybox.com etc. and getting discount codes (for free) and buying online. Playbill.com also has links to other online purchases if you want something special. The concierge at your hotel can also get you tickets but you will pay a premium. You can also go to the box office of the theater once you're there but you probably won't get the most popular shows.

Dress codes are very relaxed these days. I agree smart casual is fine but I've seen everything (unfortunately) including shorts.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 05:04 PM

Adding to Mclaurie's excellent rundown, there is a NYC Visitors & Convention Bureau branch across the street from your hotel on Seventh Avenue. There might be some discount coupons available there as well. Also, when you register at playbill.com and other sites, you can run off copies of the discount offers and bring these right to the box office when you get to the city.
A couple minor clarifications on McLaurie's post:
*Tickets for the hottest shows are never available at TKTS.
*You actually do know what is available at TKTS. They have electric billboard listing the available shows and the discount for each. (McLaurie, did you mean that you don't know until you get in line?)
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 08:11 PM
emd

I am staying at the Sheraton that week also. As mclaurie said, it depends on what you want to see. I had trouble ten days ago getting tickets to Avenue Q and Wicked (I ended up w/not the greatest tickets for Ave Q and going to a broker for Wicked) but things were much more open for the matinees on Wed. of that week (I got 7th row seats on the side center aisle for the Producers). If you can swing a Wed. afternoon performance you mihgt still be able to get good seats for some popular shows.
Also, I think I have seen a listing online of what is on sale at the TKTS booths either that day, or possibly it was what was on sale there the day before- does anyone know about that? I don't recall the site where I saw it right now, but I know I've seen that posted somewhere.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:59 AM

You may want to consider purchasing tickets beforehand via www.broadwaybox.com discount codes- I got Hairspray and Wicked using this in March. I also have gotten excellent house seats late released at TKTS with my arriving about 7:30pm. For this option you MUST BE very flexable with your choices of which I am, not everyone is however.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:30 AM

Yes, I meant you don't know actually until you get to the window whether they'll have the number of tickets you need for the show you want. I've had the experience of meeting someone at the line, seeing the show we want listed on the board, leaving the friend to run an errand and returning to find out by the time said friend got to the front of the line, the show was no longer available or only partial view seats or not 2 together etc. I don't want to discourage people from using the TKTS booth. It's still a great bargain. Here's the website emd refers to that lists what's available and details locations etc.

http://tdf.org/tkts/index.html#

I will also mention that senior citizens, teachers, students, union members & some others may register for mailings that provide even greater savings. There's a link to do that on that website.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 07:02 AM

You should definitely go through the discount websites already mentioned (playbill, broadwaybox, etc). You should print out coupons for any shows you may be interested in and bring them to the box office to purchase discoutned tickets when you arrive, or you can buy them on-line (but lots of fees involved). The very popular shows like Wicked and Lion King are a tough ticket and rarely discounted. For shows like that, it's necessary to buy tickets in advance. Using these coupons, avoids the need to wait on the TKTS line.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 08:48 AM

We stayed at the Sheraton Towers last week, great location, easy walk to the theater. I must admit I was very surprised at the attire I have seen at Broadway plays (i have been to 7 this year.) Lots of jeans, tennies, very casual clothes!

Before my trip I secured tix for the shows we wanted to see most (Ave Q and Boy From Oz.) On the last day we went to TKTS at the Seaport and took "potluck" with whatever was offered (one of us went to Rent, the other to Wonderful Town.)
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:10 AM

They pretty much let you were anything, but don't go in a tank top and tennis, but capris and walking shoes are read my message under Super 8 hotels I just posted a message about two plays that I went to. Always go direct to the theater on whatever street it is like Mama Mia is on broadway and hairspray Ii think is on 51 street. Go read my message you will enjoy it. The TkTo ticket booth in the middle of time square is for a lot of plays that have been there for ages, the newest stuff that I went to see, you can't buy tickets there, but go to there websites. I went with my sister and I had no clue that we were going to go to two plays, so she loves to save money so we took the cheap way. You had to wait but it was worth it.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 07:09 PM

My observation about dress: people dress pretty well for new non-musical shows. Longer run shows, especially musicals, seem to be attended by less smartly-dressed people. And by smart dress I mean only nice smart casual - though at early showings of good plays I also see creatively dressed (vs must nicely dressed) women.
(Think Sex and the City, as a rough guide.)