Theatre Tickets & TKTS Booth-1st Timer

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Theatre Tickets & TKTS Booth-1st Timer

We will be in London for the first time early April for just a few days. Would like to see a play/musical. We are actually thinking of seeing something that has been around for a while like Chicago.

It's not mandatory that we go to the theatre, but thought it would be a fun evening thing. If we do, it would be either a Friday or Saturday evening. (not interested in seeing a matinee since we want to spend our days exploring the city.)

Have heard a lot about going to the TKTS Booth in Leicster (sp?) Sq. and getting last minute deals the day of performances. Should we try this (would we have a good chance at getting decent seats since it is a weekend evening?) or buy in advance? Thanks for your advice!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 03:30 PM

TKTS has great seats for many shows every day of the week -- except for Sundays when there are very theatres open.

Definitely go theer - but don't go right at opening time because that is when the lines are longest. wait until nearer lunch time or late in the afternoon.

The choices are different every day but to give you an idea

here is what was on offer yesterday:

MATINEE.......
The Anniversary
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Don Carlos
Jailhouse Rock
Joseph
Les Miserables
Man and Boy
Simply Heavenly

EVENING.......
The Anniversary
Blithe Spirit
Blood Brothers
By the Bog of Cats
Chicago
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Complete Works of William Shakespeare- Abridged
Don Carlos
Fame
Festen
House of Desires
Jailhouse Rock
Jerry Springer The Opera
Joseph
Journey's End
Les Miserables
A Life in the Theatre
Man and Boy
National Anthems (25% off)
Phantom of the Opera (25% off)
Rat Pack
Saturday Night Fever
Simply Heavenly
Stomp
We Will Rock You
Whose Life is it Anyway
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 03:35 PM

Last year (Feb) I went to the TKTS booth on a Friday morning and got a half price ticket for Chicago with no problem. They do charge a service fee of 2.50 GBP, but 22.50 was still better than 40 GBP. I enjoyed the play. I wouldn't think you would have any problems. Enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 03:36 PM

Hi,

I see that National Anthems and Phantom of the Opera are 25% off. How about the others? Is it a really great savings? Am I better off buying tickets in advance and being guaranteed a good seat? Are the seats available through TKTS any good?
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 03:43 PM

Since you're not determined to see a particular show on a particular day, by all means go to TKTS and see what's available the night you want to go to the theatre. As janis has mentioned, there are lots of options.

I think janis' point about not going at opening time means don't assume that all the tickets for all that day's shows go on sale at opening time. It's more random than that. Tickets are posted as they become available.

Enjoy!

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 03:51 PM

ktyson, The seats sold through TKTS are top price tickets, not cheapies or obstructed view. They'll show you where your seats are located before you purchase.

25% off is less savings than normally offered at TKTS. I don't follow the postings daily but I don't think Phantom of the Opera crops up regularly. Don't know about National Anthems either.

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 03:53 PM

The seats they sell at TKTS are only the top price seats. In other words, you will not get a back row or rear balcony seat. The worst seats they offer are sometimes the first row, which can be pretty bad for a musical or cause severe neck strain from looking up, but if you ask what they have, or give them a choice of a couple shows and ask which seats are best, they will do their best to give you great seats. I'd wait until you get there and get them the day of performance. If you can swing by Leicester Square earlier in the day, you should not have to wait more than 10 to 15 minutes maximum to get your seats. I get tickets from there for about 90% of the shows I see in London -- usually about 15 to 20 a year, and I'm always happy, usually VERY MUCH so.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 11:15 AM

National Anthems is the new (old) Kevin Spacey play at the Old Vic with Mary Stuart Masterson and Steven Weber. Very mixed reviews.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 11:31 AM

there are several 'discount theatre ticket' booths in the vicinity of Leicester Square but there is only one 'official' discount ticket booth that is a actually run by the West End theatres themselves- may be called TKTS now but has been called the Society of London Theatre Ticket Booth in the south end of the square by the Hampshire Hotel. I don't know much about the several other services nearby hawking 'half-price' tickets but i'd head here first. (open mon-sat 10am-7pm; www.officiallondon theatre.co.uk) - this place like many said above often gives out great seats - long ago when the Rocky Horror Show was first run we got front row seats at this place. I've gone there many times and highly recommend it. The others i don't know much about. Not all plays are offered, such as first run hits but many are.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 01:02 PM

Hi,
I didn't post this originally, but did appreciate all the great info. thank you.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 01:12 PM

Near the TKTS booth, you'll see a bunch of storefronts hawking discounted tickets. Their reputation is pretty dicey, with many people reportedly getting scammed.

We bought tickets last year from TKTS for Bombay Dreams for about 25 pounds. They were the best seats I've ever had, about 10 rows back in the center of the orchestra.

Another night we tried going straight to the box office before curtain to see if they had any seats left, and were told that they don't do that (at least not for Les Miz and Thoroughly Modern Millie).
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 02:16 PM

Those store front shysters all say "Official Half Price tickets" be sure you go to the freestanding "TKTS."

Keith
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 03:33 PM

Here's a website with a picture of what you're looking for:

http://www.thisistheatre.com/halfpricetickets.html

And here's another with very current info, as PalQ cited:

http://www.officiallondontheatre.co....eicestersquare

It's a great thing!