Reload this Page >

London: Where did you stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 10:21 AM
sara

Seeking suggestions on areas & hotels in London. Did you have to share a bathroom and shower or was it private? Thanks.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 10:33 AM
bettyk

Sara, most hotels in London have &quot;en suite&quot; or private bath/shower. However, there are still some without so you always need to read the room description or ask when booking a room.<BR><BR>We stayed at nice 4* hotel across from Buckingham Palace called Rubens-at-the-Palace. Well appointed air conditioned rooms, large private bathroom, great breakfast, friendly staff and very convenient location. Close to Victoria Station (rail and tube lines), restaurants and pubs. We got an excellent rate through www.londontown.com.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 10:39 AM
scarlett

First trip-St James Park Hotel on Buckingham Gate<BR>Second-The Washington Hotel Mayfair<BR>All other trips-a flat in So Kensington<BR><BR>All are 4* and have very nice bathrooms with all amenities including telephones. I can never think of who to call while in the bath.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 10:40 AM
doc

harrington hall in kensington. Next to Gloucester rd. underground. Very nice and clean hotel and resonable

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 10:57 AM
scarlett

doc! our flat that we rent is right around the corner from harrington hall! it is an excellent neighborhood!

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 11:03 AM
carolyn

A flat in S. Kensington with a family group, Gloucester Road tube stop.<BR><BR>The Adelphia on Cromwell Road, Gloucester Road tube stop. It is made from townhouses put together and is charming at good value and breakfast included.<BR><BR>The Thistle Victoria, right at the station. This was through a priceline.com bid and was very convenient.<BR><BR>I prefer the South Kensington area.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 04:12 PM
daneille

Columbia Hotel - Lancaster Gate.<BR><BR>Large bathroom in room with shower over the bath. <BR><BR>Warning: the bedrooms were not huge but certainly adequate.<BR><BR>Coffee and tea making facilities also which was a plus.<BR><BR>I think it was about AUS$220 per night per room from memory.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 07:28 AM
bettyk

Should mention that almost ALL hotels in London have tea making facilities, even the ones without a private loo!

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 08:00 AM
Randolph

St. Giles Hotel. Nice, clean hotel (they claim to be the largest independent hotel in Europe). Excellent location and relatively cheap for a 3-star hotel. Very small rooms. You can check it out at www.stgiles.com.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 08:06 AM
xxx

How quaint, these nice little &quot;boutique&quot; hotels you all stay at.<BR><BR>Of course, the only decent hotel in town is Claridge's, on Brook Street. Believe it or not, they actually have loos in the rooms! And people to serve your dinner in your room. I am quite fond of the private butlers.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 08:56 AM
aj

We like to stay at the Fielding Hotel in the Covent Garden area. The cost for a double is around $150.00 per night. Room ok,clean and clean bath. We love the area. Close to the theater and the Covent Garden shopping is interesting. Also very close to Ballet and Opera.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:59 AM
Gabi

I stayed at Harlingford hotel in Bloomsbury and found it quite pleasant. 100 pounds (about $170.00)per night for a triple room with private bath and shower, including an english breakfast. The staff was very helpfull and nice, hotel was quiet, the decor of the general areas (breakfast room, hallways and lounge are beautiful, while the rooms are quite simple but clean.<BR><BR>It is 3 blocks from Russel sq station on the picadilli line which takes you straight to the airport (can't beat that for cheap airport transportation) the neighborhood is nice and quiet, but within walking distance to british museum, oxford street, covent gardens and just a couple of metro stops to all other usual tourist sites.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:09 PM
Mark

Carolyn,I was interested in how much you bid at Priceline to stay at the Thistle Victoria? How long ago did you stay there? I have a trip to London coming up in Feb. and was considering using Priceline. Thank you for any info.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:20 PM
carolyn

Mark, we went to London the first week of October this year. After looking at airline sites, we bid $600 for round-trip airfare and five nights in a hotel. Our first hotel choice was full; the Thistle Vic was the second choice in a list of five. The total cost, that included taxes, was $749 per person. I asked the hotel clerk what the cost of our room was, but she said that since priceline paid it, she wasn't allowed to tell me. <BR><BR>The room was quite nice with a big bath (no A/C). Breakfast was not included because of the low room rate. Neither my daughter nor I is much of a breakfast person and the price on your own seemed excessive, so we didn't eat in the hotel dining room.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:57 PM
Wayne

Haven't stayed at a lot of different places, but these are the ones I enjoyed most:<BR>-Covent Garden Hotel<BR>-22 Jermyn Street Hotel<BR>-Berner's Hotel<BR><BR>Both the Covent Garden and 22 Jermyn Street are now my favorites. They are very nice, with great service, wonderful breakfast, big rooms and nice bathrooms, air conditioning, and (unfortunately) a price to match. <BR><BR>Berner's is also very nice, but a slight step down from the other two.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:00 PM
yyy

xxx ([email protected])<BR>Date: 11/22/2002, 12:06 pm<BR>Message: How quaint, these nice little &quot;boutique&quot; hotels you all stay at.<BR><BR>Of course, the only decent hotel in town is Claridge's, .....<BR><BR> Oh no. No one stays at Claridge's anymore.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 03:44 PM
Charlie

Millennium Mayfair at GBP99 through LondonTown.com.<BR>Great area, very nice room with A/C which was greatly appreciated end of July with temperatures in high 80s.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 06:16 PM
LaDeeDah

xxx needs to update his/her snobbery. The Claridge is so over these days.<BR> We stay at the Lanesborough now. If you can afford a suite at the Lanesborough you will never want to leave!