Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

4 London Hotels - Your Opinion Appreicated

Old Jan 20th, 2004, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying the last of August - when the weather may be hot and muggy. I found all 4 on Londontown.com and now I am hoping for comments from "real people" as websites can be so deceiving!

The hotels are:
Thistle Lancaster Gate
Thistle The Selfridge
Radisson Grafton
Abbey Court Hotel

Old Jan 20th, 2004, 06:17 AM

Best I can offer is that I stayed at the Lancaster Gate in May about 3 years ago. It was fine then. Good luck.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 06:48 AM

I stayed at the Thistle Lancaster Gate in November and it was fine. Nothing special - the room was small but quite comfortable, with Holiday Inn-like decor. The lobby was nice and usually pretty busy. The breakfast room was big and busy, with a quite decent full English breakfast. The location is great, steps from the multiethnic restaurants of Queensway, and 3 blocks from both the Queensway and Lancaster Gate tube stations.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 07:03 AM

I know this is not exactly what you asked, but we stayed at the Rubens Hotel across from the Royal Mews at Buckingham Palace in May 2002 and are booked there again for this May. Their rooms are standard size for London, but they are air conditioned and very nicely appointed and the bathroom is lovely.

They are within a couple of blocks of Victoria Station and a number of restaurants and pubs.

There are numerous good reviews of the Rubens on tripadvisor.com if you'd like to check them out. The Rubens is currently 106 GBP on londontown.com.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 07:50 AM
ron

I stayed at the Thistle Lancaster Gate in October and can pretty well echo what martytravels had to say. Except I don't what is meant by Holiday Inn-like decor. The Bayswater tube station is only slightly further away than the other two, but I found I found I used it more often in getting around London.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 08:08 AM

My mom and I stayed at the Abbey Court if it is the one in Notting Hill. Very quiet and elegant - we had a room with a canopy bed and a jacuzzi tub. Breakfast included. However, I think it is Zone 2 so it is pretty far from tourist sites and costs extra on subway
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied. The Lancaster Gate is priced around 76 pounds inclusive while the Abbey Court has a Theatre inclusive package for 165 pounds. Going now to check the rates for "Phantom" in August, but it may be a much better deal to get our own tickets and stay at the Lancaster Gate.
Now if I could just speed up August a little bit!
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:18 PM

Spent six nights in Radisson Grafton the week before New Year's. Positives are location (Warren Street tube 100 yards away), ambiance (rooms are quite sufficient) access to internet (downstairs in conference center) and price. The negatives are staff (don't ask questions about anything), and a very expensive breakfast (30 pounds). All things considered, I'd stay there again. Watch the bill closely. Before you arrive, ensure you are getting the breakfast included. If not, ensure they are not assuming you go down for breakfast each morning and charge you for it. If you can stand it, there is a McDonald's next door (between tube and hotel), and a Garfunkels two - three blocks away.
Have fun!!
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. We have taken Abbey Court off the list reluctantly - as the price ended up being 140 lbs in August! The others are 100 or less. Good location to tube is important. We are going to British museum and to the Haymarket area to Phantom.