Reload this Page >

London Weather and More

Search

London Weather and More

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Georgian

London Weather and More

Hello all! I was wanting to know if anyone can answer a few questions for me. I am planning a trip to London for late this year early next year..which means it's going to be winter. How is the weather between December & March?<BR><BR>Any my second thing is, has anyone used the Hotelink services through Heathrow Airport? I am trying to get to & from my hotel without using the tube. Thanks for any info.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 05:07 PM
london lover

pretty darn cold. and windy. not too much rain though. small favors.. <BR><BR>however, the big bonus is NO CROWDS at many attractions, and regular folks on the trains - commuters, locals - not a crush of tourists (at least as much as summer). You can really tell the difference in the crowds starting in late March through mid-late September.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:18 PM
janis

it will likely be cold and damp - But not as cold as the Eastern seaboard or midwest USA.<BR><BR>One thing about dec - feb is the very short days. The UK is farther north than the lower 48 so the days are shorter in winter (but makes up for that by having looooong wonderful days in June/July). The sun will set around 3:30 or 4PM<BR><BR>As for your 2nd question - wait until you book your hotel and then post a question about the best way to get to it. If you stay near Paddington or parts of the west end, the Paddington Express is terrific. But for other parts of the city, other transport would be better - Hotellink, Airbus, car service, etc.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:49 PM
l

weather from dec to mar is about the same as it is this morning - cold, miserable and wet - Janis - come here now and enjoy the "looooong wonderful days in June/July".

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 06:49 AM
copper

We've made trips to London in Feburary for the last three years. The weather has been fine - chilly, but mostly clear and beautiful. The early sunset has never been a problem. <BR>The biggest advantage is no crowds at the museums, theatres, and restaurants, and low cost for travel and rooms. Go at the time you're considering. You'll love it even if you do get a little bad weather.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Lynn

Georgian,<BR><BR>We visited London in March of this year and found the weather to be decent. We had a some rain, a couple of sunny days, and a few cloudy or overcast days. We carried our brollies with us each day just in case. You must go to London to have a good time regardless of the weather.<BR>And yes, we did use the Hotelink service at Heathrow. Upon arrival we had to wait about 45 min. to one hour for the next mini van - several passengers boarded and we made stops at several hotels before reaching our own. On the return trip to Heathrow, Hotelink showed up about 10 min. early for pick up. We would use the Hotelink service again.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Georgian

Thank you Lynn...that was the reassurance I needed. I am a Florida gal but I can handle to cold...even fridged. Thanks again!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:59 AM
Jane

I will be in London in late September. What will the weather be like at that time and what type of clothing should we pack? Please help? We are first time visitors.<BR>Thanks,<BR>Jane

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:15 AM
Leslie

Georgian-<BR><BR>I was in England this past February and it was very cold by my California standards, daytime highs ran around 40-45 F. Here's a resource that helped me to pack - go on www.weather.com, select the "World" tab at the top, then type in your city, e.g., "London, United Kingdom" - this will give you not only a ten day forecast but also another option of clicking "Records and Averages" which shows you historical temps and rainfall month by month. This might be more reliable than people's anecdoctal experiences.<BR><BR>For example, it actually snowed a bit in Windsor while we were there but locals said that was unusually cold. Nonetheless, I realized I should have packed heavier gloves, a woolen hat instead of cotton and a heavier jacket. The ususal layering didn't keep me warm enough, but, then I'm a cold weather wimp! <BR><BR>Yes, we had less rain in London than I've had on previous trips in August and the lack of tourists was nice.