Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London restaurant for daughter's 20th birthday?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 08:02 AM
MaureenB

The day we arrive in London is our daughter's 20th birthday, and also our wedding anniversary! Yeah! Just being in London will be our celebration.
I think for dinner we'll want a good place that serves fish, especially salmon. Can anyone recommend a place? Doesn't have to be fancy, given the devalued dollar-- atmospheric with good food is all we ask.
I've seen Gordon's Wine Bar recommended by several people, including Rick Steves. He even recommends the salmon there. Is it a place just for lunch?

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I can't guarantee that salmon will be on the menu of these places, as fish restaurants tend to change their menus to match what they can catch, but here's some suggestions:

JSheekey is the famous fish restaurant - not cheap, but not as pricey as some places. Book well in advance. And if you're lucky, you'll bump into Jude Law or Madonna.

Back to Basics gets rave reviews in Hardens Guide (which is THE restaurant guide in London), although I've never been:
www.backtobasics.uk.com

Haven't eaten in Gordon's - but it gets the WORST ratings in Harden's for its food. I regard it more as a drinking den than an eatery.

You can look these up on hardens.com - the reviews here are very reliable, because they're done from an annual survey of over 2,000 London diners (me included!), so you never get the biased opinion of just one person.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 08:42 AM
MaureenB

Kate, thanks for your reply. Hardens.com is very helpful, and BacktoBasics looks good, too. Having heard about how expensive London is, I have to admit I was still surprised by the prices! Anyone else?

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 08:48 AM
MaureenB

P.S. What does it mean when the restaurant says the service charge is "optional?" As the BacktoBasics menu is quoted: "Optional service charge of 12.5% is included". Also, in London, do entrees usually include vegies and a starch?

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 09:00 AM

When it says that the service charge is optional but included it means that when you get your bill, it will be included in the total; HOWEVER, you are perfectly within your rights to deduct it from the final cost if you don't think that the service warranted it. I've done this myself a few times.

I'm afraid that it rather depends where you eat as to whether vegetables etc are included and, indeed, what you order. You will find that some dishes are 'all-inclusive' and others may just be the meat/fish and a few dressing vegetables. Just ask the waiter.

Maybe you should pick a shortlist of possibilities (my personal favourite website is www.squaremeal.co.uk) and post them up here. We can then give you a rundown of what's good and what's not. A quick selection of fish restaurants include are JSheekey, Livebait, Randall & Aubin, Pescatori, Wilton's etc but there are other restaurants that aren't exclusively fish which would also be just as good.

I think what I'm saying is "more info please!!"
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 09:28 AM
MaureenB

Tallulah, thank you very much. I'll check your website recommendation.
We are a family of four-- two adults, with our 20 year old daughter and 16 year old son. Basically, we like fish and my son prefers steak. Not really hard to please foodies, but we love a great atmosphere and good value. While price is not truly an obstacle if we find a place we want to try, we don't need big fancy meals since just being in London will be a treat in itself. Not wild about ethnic food, for this trip. We want to soak up as much "British" atmosphere in our short 4 night stay. And, as I said, I'm hyperventilating over the exchange rate right now!!

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 01:06 PM

You've got some good recs so far. Another place I like is Loch Fyne - there are a few branches but the most central one is in Catherine Street which is near Covent Garden.

I have eaten at Catherine street a couple of times and the food/service were really good. Once I had wild Scottish Salmon, and Scampi on the 2nd visit.

The original Loch Fyne is in Scotland - on Loch Fyne - duh - and is most famous for oysters.
Old May 1st, 2005, 05:13 AM

Try www.lastminute.com or www.toptable.co.uk for ideas to eat in London. Often, they give you 2-for-1 specials or discounts.
You could have fish and chips at somewhere like Livebait or Loch Fyne.
Dinner can be expensive in London, especially with the exchange rate being poor for you, so just be aware of this! FYI, me and my friends never buy bottled water in restos, even the fancy ones. Get tap. It is perfectly palatable.
British atmosphere - J Sheekey is a good choice. Also www.rules.co.uk (the above websites sometimes do offers on this place.)
Also, lunch might be cheaper than dinnder and less likely to be busy wherever you decide to eat.
Old May 1st, 2005, 05:43 AM

Not a great fish-eater or restaurant-goer, but I liked Loch Fyne too!