London - Jamie Oliver's restaurant.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2003, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could someone please tell me the name of Jamie Oliver's restaurant in London. Where is it? Is it worth going to? Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 01:27 PM

It's called "Fifteen" and is out in Hoxton. When are you going to London? Last I knew it was hard to get in unless you book several months in advance.
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 01:46 PM

Fifteen is a"social experiment" of JO's..he brings in young people and trains them as chefs.I've heard mixed reviews

Monte's on Sloane street is another JO restaurant..however it is a private club in the evenings...but the public can go for lunch , Mon thru sat.
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 01:54 PM

www.fifteenrestaurant.com

I have read some reviews where people have been kept waiting for their food for a very long time, a lot of things on the menu weren't available and that it is extremely expensive.

I've just had a look for the link (think it was a London Newspaper)to the restaurant review but unfortunately can't find it.
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 02:59 PM

I forgot to say that JO is no longer associated with Monte's but the chef he started it with remains and some of his recipes are still used.

Angel...there was a review in the LondonX awhile ago that called Fifteen just about the worst restaurant experience in London!

Now I heard he might be doing the same thing in the US! Worthy cause but he might need to give more direction.

Old Mar 28th, 2004, 12:10 PM

I recently ate at Fifteen and it was fabulous. Had the prix fixe menu with wine. Service and food were both wonderful. Food wasn't generally as good as say, Gordon Ramsay, but the atmosphere is much more casual and hip-I was with my 60-ish parents, and everyone had a good time.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 12:14 PM

It's terribly overpriced for what they serve, the service is only so-so, the location is a little "trendy" passé.

For the money you can find far better. The Ivy, The Mirabelle, Gordon Ramsay at Claridge's.....

Don't waste your money on the hype that is Fifteen.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 12:28 PM

m_kingdom -- I'm sure with your exalted social position, you would not deign to visit fifteen . . . . .
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 12:36 PM

I admire Jamie Oliver enormously for the brand he has created for himself. It's worth mentioning, that unlike Gordon Ramsay who whilst always being notorious for his language and temper, actually excelled through superb cuisine. On the other hand, Mr Oliver, was a relatively junior chef at the excellent River Café.

You go to Gordon's places for excellence in cuisine, but Jamie's to say you've been there.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 01:15 PM

In other words, sounds like m_kingdom has NOT been there. So I'd take his/her comments about the "overpriced for what they serve" and the "service is only so-so" with a huge grain of salt! A lot of people tell me the same thing about restaurants they've never been to.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 11:48 PM

Patrick dear, I was there only a month after it opened, next time try and get your facts right.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 11:52 PM

I am not sure if it was the Sunday Times but they printed the answerphone message from fifteen and it was an earful as well as next to impossible to get any table for the next few months.

Old Mar 29th, 2004, 12:04 AM

SiobhanP dear, as I have said on a previous posting of mine, I am in the fortunate position of having friends who are able to get almost any table, and guest list in town.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 05:44 AM

"get my facts straight?" OK, but I was just going by what you said, that people go to "Jamie's to say you've been there". Since you seem to indicate that you aren't into such activities, I assumed you were saying you wouldn't have gone there. It is interesting for you to admit that the only reason you went there a month after its opening was to "say you've been there." I never realized you were so into what other people would think. Quite a surprise! And, of course, no restaurant should be judged by its standards, especially in service, a month after opening.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 05:58 AM

Ha! m_kingdom the head of yours is getting bigger.

Sorry pet but I was not referring to your great contacts. Which you assure us makes your life fab on a daily basis. I was just referring to an article about the restautant in the papers 2 weeks ago which if you are really from the UK you may go and have a look for. It stated the message on the phone was about 5 minutes long and gave out too much info to take in as well as saying no bookings for a certain time period.

Its great we can hide ourselves and personal details of our lives on this website but its quite crass to brag dear. True class does not need to advertise.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 06:04 AM

they give details of availability on their website. see http://www.fifteenrestaurant.com/fif...ervations.html

They have lunch availability for some dates in April, and have limited availability for mid week dinner reservations in May.

They take bookings 2 months prior to the month of the reservation. Bookings for May 2004 opened at 9.30am Monday 1st March 2004 and booking lines for June 2004 will open at 9.30am Thursday 1st April 2004.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 06:45 AM

Isn't m_kingdom the same obnoxious poster who is always raving about how Americans are so crass that they "pretend" to be friendly and are artificially sweet? I forget the actual words. But now this same person answers every one with "Patrick, dear". What is that if it isn't artificial friendliness? Or is it meant to just be nasty and sarcastic? It's so hard to tell the difference when someone is so phony.

And yes, SiophanP, you certainly hit the nail on the head pointing out the "crassness" of having to brag about one's position.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 08:45 AM

I am confused. Has Claridges changed its name to Claridge's?????? Growing up in London, I was always under the impression that it was Claridges. Has it gone the way of Burberry's to Burberry??? Just wondering.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 11:20 AM

Claridge's has always been that way, Burberrys is the name to which the royal warrants have been issued, Burberry is a "new" brand.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 11:37 AM

Actually, MKingdom, I went and looked at an old blazer of mine, and the label says "Burberrys'," with an "s apostrophe." Maybe I am mistaken, but I could swear that it was always "Claridges" with no apostrophe. I was taken to Claridges as a child for tea. Years ago I stayed there when I was working for an American clothing designer. As someone with two university degrees in English, I notice odd little things as that. But, maybe I am as mad as Mrs. Rochester.

Maybe someone, such as FlannerUK, or the cosmopolitan Sheila Ritchie could clarify the matter?????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -