Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Marriott Grosvenor Square or London Marriott Hotel County Hall? Which location/hotel would you choose?

Search

London Marriott Grosvenor Square or London Marriott Hotel County Hall? Which location/hotel would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This September will be our first trip to London and my husband and I plan to use some of those earned points to stay in a nice Marriott property. Choosing between the Grosvenor Square in Mayfair (not Grosvenor House) and London Marriott Hotel County Hall, can you make any recommendations? We are looking for a wonderful hotel with convenience to restaurants, theatre, shopping and attractions.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 11:20 AM

County Hall - it's right by the London Eye, across the river from the Houses of Parliament & Big Ben and there's so much to do within 15 minutes walk you might never have to take a Tube anywhere - and if you do going from Westminster Tube station is a good way of getting to St Pauls, Tate Modern, the museums at South Kensington and if you fancy a day trip to Paris - well Waterloo & the Eurostar is next door
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Weekender

Have you considered the Renaissance Chancery Court?

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 11:22 AM

An EXTREMELY useful map of central London

www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/centlond.pdf
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 11:31 AM

Hear! Hear! The above map is available on paper without charge at any Tube station. Another of my favorites (which you can print out at home on a single letter or A4 sheet) is

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/cen_bus.pdf
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 11:35 AM

I've stayed at both the Marriott Grosvenor Square and the Renaissance Chancery Court, both times on points. Either one would be good. I preferred the Renaissance.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the maps and other suggestions. I had not even thought of the Rennaisance but will definitely look at it. I need to check out the location. And alalRow, you mentioned a day trip to paris. We have 6 days in London before meeting up with friends in Ireland. We would love to spend a day in Paris if it is doable or would we need to spend a night there?
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 01:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
County Hall for sure. Both of the other properties are good too. But the views from most rooms at County Hall are across the river to Parliament/Big Ben. It is walking distance to all the southbank arts venues/restaurants.

W/ only 6 days in London I wouldn't try to cram in a trip to Paris too. Sure it is doable - but you don't have enough time for London let alone Paris . . . . .
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 01:30 PM

Renaissance is far superior to the other options you mentioned. Plus the location is great, tube stop right next door and easy to get to everything.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 02:48 PM

"But the views from most rooms at County Hall are across the river..."

WHAT A REMARKABLE BUILDING!

Actually, about half of the rooms are on the side of the building facing away from the river - so you get a stunning panorama of Lambeth North and Waterloo stations.

If you want to see Paris, <i>for heaven's sake, get on a train and go!</i> There is nothing &quot;more important&quot; in London than in Paris. This is your trip, not that of someone expressing their tastes on this forum. You can take the first Eurostar out in the morning and the last one back at night and have almost 12 hours on the ground. The one-day whirlwind tour is here: tinyurl.com/ovpaw
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 05:10 PM

I have only stayed at the County Hall, and we loved it. If you have that many points (enough for 6 nights), you should ask for an upgrade to the Thames side (with views of the parliament and eye). You may also get access to the executive lounge (and complimentary breakfast) that way.

We chose County Hall because they have two double beds there, but I have heard that the Renaissance Chancery Court is also an excellent choice.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 06:28 PM

You can also get two double beds at RCC.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 10:26 PM

For Paris book ASAP on the Eurostar website as the cheap fares tend to go first.

The Eurostar website has a list of all the fares so you can find out if you are paying top or bottom price. But from County Hall it's a few minutes walk to Waterloo*.

*note that from November all Eurostar trains will be leaving from St Pancras which is at the other end of central London

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 07:53 AM

Is that project on track (so to speak), or is the target date &quot;November, year unspecified?&quot;