Reload this Page >

London in Febuary?

Search

London in Febuary?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Michael

London in Febuary?

Anyone ever bood to London in Febuary? Will it be really cold? Do any of the activities change/close? We have been before, loved it, want to go back to do the things we did not have time for before, but I wonder if the weather will be so bad as to impact our time. We plan on theater, museums, day trips to Avon, Cambridge.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Wayne

Since you've done it before, you shouldn't have a problem. It doesn't bother the Londoners. For them, February is just another month, and business (and pleasure) must go on. All the stuff will be open.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 09:50 AM
travelin gal

Spent 7 days in London Feb 2000. Rained one day other wise weather was good. We did the theater (don't forget half price tkts !), museums, London Walks tours, etc. We went to Greenwich by the automatic pilot train one day. We would go again at that time of year. Just remember to layer the clothing. Enjoy !!

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 10:29 AM
xxx

I've been to London several times in February. It does get dark fairly early (by 5 PM) and the weather is nippy but not bitterly cold as it can get in the northeast of the US druing February. It rarely snows and temps are around 1 or 2 degrees.....

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Cameron

I am also going to be in London in February! According to my travel books, the average temps. for that time of year is roughly 45-55F. Not too bad- but I live in Michigan, so...<BR><BR>This will be my second trip to London. What everyone says on this message board is true- pack lots of light layers and you will be fine. Have fun!

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Joanne

Not to dash your hopes, but we took our kids to London last year from Christmas to New Years. We're from Minnesota, so we're accustomed to cold weather. It was absolutely chilling in London. It snowed, apparently the first time in six years. In Oxford, we stopped at a university shop and all bought sweatshirts and thermal underwear! Probably good news for you, that the really bad weather is an anomaly and won't recur for 10 or 15 years. Anyway, don't assume that it will be balmy.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Michael

Wow - thanks everyone for all the great, informed and specific responses! I have never used this board before - this was quite helpful.<BR>Off we go to London, again!<BR><BR>(now anyone need any Hawaii advice?)

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Maira

I spent a week in London this Feb (2002) and I was thrilled with the weather; sunny and not too breezy! We walked everywhere, even at night and never felt too uncomfortable. Dress warm and in layers, that advice is repeated frequently and with good reason. There is no such thing as bad weather, but bad clothing choices.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 10:52 PM
gand

I would have to repeat that the previous post was 100% right in that it does get darker much earlier in the evening (4pm in december, 5pm ish Jan.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 05:14 AM
elvira

Been to London several times in February, and the weather has ranged from a very unusual sunny and in the 60's to snowy and bone-chilling cold - think Boston or New York on a winter's day sans the gale-force winds. Wear layers so you can add and subtract depending on the weather.<BR><BR>Nothing is closed, but a few sights have slightly shortened hours, i.e. closes at 5pm i/o 7pm. The theatre is in full swing, lots of special exhibits in the museums and galleries, and concerts and performances everywhere.<BR>

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 05:17 AM
Robbyn

I've been to London in June, November and March. I'd go back in a minute, any month of the year. <BR><BR>Have a wonderful time!!<BR><BR>Robbyn

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 05:26 AM
Mike

We were also in London last February for Valentine's Day. Weather in the mid-50's. Bring your umbrella -- you never know when it is going to rain.<BR><BR>The hop-on/hop-off Big Bus Tour was Great!! They offer a free walking tour that departs from Trafalger Sq. It was great -- hit some nice pubs for a pint or two.