Is London in February a good choice

Oct 17th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Is London in February a good choice

We have some friends living in London for the winter and they have repeatedly invited us to come visit. The only time that would really work out for us is February, how is the weather then for seeing the sites etc. ?
Oct 17th, 2013, 06:24 PM

The weather makes absolutely no difference for seeing the sites.

It will be cool to cold-ish, wet to dry- ish. London in feb is better than no London at all.
Oct 17th, 2013, 06:55 PM

Hi Brentjtravel,

“London in feb is better than no London at all.”

I agree with Janisj on this one. Many years ago we went to London during the third week of February. Believe it or not, we saw some daffodils. “Spring” comes earlier there than where we live in Boston. It happened to be a very mild winter that year.

Never pass up London…
Oct 17th, 2013, 07:18 PM

The weather is always a gamble, but I've visited London three times in mid-February and had great weather two times--no rain at all and the cherry blossoms were out. On our third visit it was colder, we saw a few snow flurries one day, but still it was comfortable to walk around and we didn't have any rain. I personally wouldn't hesitate to visit again in February.
Oct 17th, 2013, 07:25 PM

I've been there in late November and in Feb. it will get dark early too as it does in Nov., but I wouldn't hesitate to go. I remember being glad I had a wool sweater, wool socks and a good outer layer. Crowds will be smaller which is a good thing. As someone else said, the sites, museums are the same. I say go and have fun - Pubs are very inviting when it is cooler and when it gets darker earlier!
Oct 17th, 2013, 10:34 PM

"Believe it or not, we saw some daffodils."

February's a tad early for most daffodils in exposed parts of London - but one of the reasons they're the Welsh national flower is that they're usually in bloom throughout southern England and Wales by March 1, the Welsh national Saint's day.

The first weekend in February is celebrated in much of the countryside around London as Snowdrop Sunday, when the things festoon whole swathes of the right kind of field. London's immense swathes of park are far warmer than the city's hinterland and are in constant bloom from then till late autumn.

Comfortable February weather in London isn't a matter of luck. It's just the norm for our climate, though it can vary from year to year.

The only downside to London in Feb is that, outside the odd tourist trap, it's a great deal more crowded than in summer since its inhabitants aren't away on holiday. Seats at interesting plays, or in fashionable restaurants, are tougher to get, the tube's more packed and museums featuring on school curricula are stuffed with school parties. But the crocodiles of bored Euro teenagers aren't clogging the city up.
Oct 18th, 2013, 02:14 AM

If you're going to go anywhere in dark, dank February, London is probably a better choice than most places, as the city doesn't lose a step in the winter months - it's as buzzy as ever. Wrap up, bring a brolly, and have fun.
Oct 18th, 2013, 04:23 AM

Once again the "dark early" myth comes up. By mid February it gets dark in London at around 5:15pm local time, compared with New York and Seattle at 5:30pm, 5:24pm in Chicago, 5:35 in Los Angeles... Hardly a big enough difference on which to base a decision to visit on or not.
Oct 18th, 2013, 05:52 AM

I have been in Feb. and all the magic, all the indoor sights, all the parks are as wonderful as ever. (Well, maybe the parks aren't quite as pleasurable as they will be later, but still good for people watching and first flowers.) One advantage of "early dark" if you are a photographer is that you can get pictures of sunset and city lights before supper and have a whole evening to enjoy.

Go and enjoy!
Oct 18th, 2013, 07:35 AM

I've been in London in February a few times and sometimes the weather s surprisingly nice but like janis says often coolish and wet - but early spring flowers were blooming, much to me amazement, and the city was rather crowded with tourists - many French since they have a long school break then - was surprised at how thronged tourist London was - the ubiquitous German school groups were everywhere.
Oct 18th, 2013, 08:27 AM

Gordon is correct - where folks get the idea that Feb (or October) has short days in the UK is a mystery to me.

The days are VERY short in Dec and VERY long in June - The change in day length is faster/more dramatic than in more southern regions. The days get longer quite quickly (which is HOW they change from so short to so long in 6 months). You won't notice a bit of difference in Feb hours of daylight between London and San Francisco.
Oct 18th, 2013, 11:54 AM

Plus London after dark can still be amazing.
Feb 5th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

All sound advice! Thanks. Trip isn't going to happen after all .. boo but on the bright side, I can plan ahead and go when the weather is nice.
Feb 5th, 2014, 01:31 PM

If you're going to go anywhere in dark, dank February, London is probably a better choice than most places, >>

for a couple of hours today, London was glorious. Blue skies, no wind [and now I'm back home in windy Cornwall i can't tell you how welcome that is] and wonderful views of st. Paul's from so many vantage points. [I'm ignoring the excrescence next to it, S...., i think it's called] I had forgotten how much I used to enjoy working there.

sorry the trip isn't now going to happen in Feb, Brenk, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it when you do get there.

Search this Thread