Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is a visit to London worthwhile in 10 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Daniel Slepowronski

Hello, I am looking forward to spending some time before school starts in London from Aug. 29-Sep.1. However, my father opposes this idea because he says that the weather in England is not conducive for a good vacation. I know that the weather in London isn't the greatest, but is late August exceptionally bad? Weather.com has highs of lower 70's/upper 60's for the next 10 days. I think it's a great time to catch a deal on hotel and airfare. Does my father's point have ANY validity? He also said that the fog will be so dense, that i won't see anything in front of me....my father is known to be opinionated about things he is uninformed about. However, please inform me of what to expect. Thank you.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Vita

Hi, Daniel. I did a 1-week trip to London in May. It rained a little when I was there but I still had a great time. I think it really depends on the kind of vacation you enjoy. So far as I know, London's not know for it's sunny beaches, but it's great for history, architecture, theatre, and the English countryside.<BR><BR>On one of the walking tours I did, the guide mentioned that there hasn't been a bad fog in London since the 60s. I can't speak on London in August specifically.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 10:10 AM
londoner

Hi Daniel - an ex Londoner here - we havent had smog (nasty polluting fog) in London since coalfires were done away with in the 1950s - london weather is very variable but its really not an issue - if it rains (usually a quiet drizzle not a downpour) you go to museums, Westminster Abbey etc. etc. if it gets very hot and humid (unusual) you go for a riverboat cruise past the houses of Parliament down to Greenwich - there is something for abs. anyone in London - sorry but I dont think your father knows what he is talking about - hes probably scared youll have too much of a good time

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 10:12 AM
anon

anytime in London is divine. no matter the season or the weather - being in London is better than not...

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 10:44 AM
JMM

Been to London 5 times - never encountered Fog (BTW 3 of those times were in Sept (which is a great time to see London). It may rain though - so bring a light rain coat or umbrella and even if it does London has probably one of the best selection of indoor things to do (fantastic museums and art galleries)

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 11:22 AM
lbb

I have been to London only twice but never seen fog. I went in March and May and the weather was perfect. Of course the friend that I was visiting there said that of the 3 months he had lived there it had rained every single day except the 2 weeks that I was there.<BR><BR>Like everyone says it isn't Florida's beaches but you aren't going for that kind of vacation. London is my favorite city because of the Art, history and yes even the pubs. <BR><BR>I always try to respect my parents but I only take their advice if it is an informed one. (If I lived by my mom's fears I would have never left the ground. She thinks flying anywhere is a bad idea even though you are more likely to be killed in a car.)

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Joe

Daniel, tell your Dad there's no such thing as bad weather if you have the right clothes.<BR>Fog? No more than any other city in close proximity to a river. Another poster explains the reason why. <BR>With all due respect, I think Mr Slepowronski Snr has been watching too many old movies of the Charles Dickens genre.<BR>Show him these postings and perhaps you can bring him round. Good Luck and enjoy your trip.<BR>

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Jim

Tell your dad that London Fog is just a brand of raincoats, not a type of weather that you'll encounter in August.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 03:18 PM
nancy

I went in late Oct/Nov and had exactly 2 minutes of drizzle! I did carry my umbrella just in case and only needed long sleeves, no jacket. I certainly wouldn't let weather be a consideration in late Aug.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 05:52 PM
Wendy

Daniel,<BR><BR>We got back two weeks ago from England and Italy, and had better weather in London ( high 70s, mostly sunny, only two days of light drizzle) than we had in Venice and Stresa. Never saw any fog. Have a great time!

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 12:56 PM
bill

Well, it probably isn't the best time to catch a deal on air travel, but you could always get lucky. London actually has less rain than NY City and like the others, I haven't seen fog in London. Yes, he is terribly uninformed.<BR><BR>Bill

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 01:12 PM
S. C. DIXON

It may come to pass that the only problems you'll have in London come when it's time to go home. You might not want to.<BR><BR>