London in January

Aug 13th, 2003, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

London in January

I plan to take my daughter during winter break to London for vacation. We are from California. Will the weather be too cold and miserable? Plan to book thru Go-Today, is it ok? What best area to stay? Thanks.
Aug 13th, 2003, 03:48 PM

ttt
Aug 13th, 2003, 04:01 PM

California is a big place -- London will be colder and less comfortable than LA - but a LOT warmer and more comfortable than Lake Tahoe.

I travel to the UK a few times a year, often in the winter. It can be cold - last Dec was really cold with daytime temps in the low 30's F. But I have also been in London in Dec when it was in the low 50's F.

But no matter the temps - it is a lovely time to be in London. the Christmas decorations, outdoor iceskating rinks, corner chestnut roasters, holiday concerts, etc.

go for it - just dress in layers and take hats, scarves and gloves.
Aug 13th, 2003, 04:04 PM

oops - I got off on a "Dec." jag and forgot you were talking about January. Everything pretty much still applies, though.

january is good because the airfares are the cheapest of the year
Aug 13th, 2003, 04:05 PM

Hpfish10, My daughter and I were in London this year the last week of January. We had a fantastic time. Daytime temps were in the 40s and 50s (close to 60 one day). We were fortunate enough to have a rain free week but (from the previous year's Jan trip) we went prepared for rain. Even a rainy time won't spoil your visit.

Don't know where in CA you live...how much of a climate adjustment will London be for you?

Regarding areas to stay, we like Bloomsbury but this is a personal preference. With a little guidance it's hard to go wrong. What are your hotel and sightseeing preferences? That might dictate where you stay.

Can't speak to Go-Today as I've never used it.

Hope to be in London again this coming January!
Aug 13th, 2003, 08:00 PM

fyi...starting around mid-january there are huge sales in all the london stores...harrods sale is famous....you could check with them for the dates...its a fun time to go...less tourists, although london is always busy...it will just be less busy...see a couple of plays...book ahead...i use ticketmaster uk to get my tickets...always good seats...you can stand in line daily for 1/2 price tickets in the main square in the theatre district--not all shows participate, mostly older shows...almost all seats are good in london theatres as they are quite small...ticket prices to london in january from the east coast are usually about +/- $300 round trip, plus taxes of about $100 (nov 1 to march 31) for comparison....hotels can be cheaper but not much....
we like the harrods 1/2 sightseeing tour..it costs a bit more but is nicer we think--book ahead on their web-site---ask for the front seats up top...
Aug 13th, 2003, 08:20 PM

Actually winter fares have been a lot less than that the last couple of years and this year some of the airfare sales are already being announced.

Last Dec I flew from the west coast non-stop for $198 RT and at the same time east coasters were paying $98 to about $150. Those fares were good all the way through March.

Aug 13th, 2003, 08:48 PM

It's impossible to predict the weather. Just go & enjoy. Layers, hat, gloves & scarf. I like Chelsea, South Kensington & Knightsbridge.

If you do a text search here (type in the box at the top) on Go-Today you may find some reports.

Search this Thread