Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London for 2 days - looking for quaint upscale hotel

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any recommendations on a quaint hotel in an upscale neighbourhood of London - not too crazy of a price?
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:08 PM

what's your price range...'crazy' is not well understood.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:53 PM

Uh-oh, the Q word.

Could you define "upscale" too?

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Your title says upscale hotel (actually says quaint upscale hotel - oh my) but your post says upscale neighborhood - not necessarily the same thing. Are you looking for a wonderful hotel or a more modest hotel in a wonderful neighborhood?

What is your budget? "Upscale" in London can be VERY upscale (and few of them would call themselves quaint)
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 06:04 PM

"Quaint" has a bit of a different meaning in British slang also.
I would imagine you would want to be in Mayfair or Knightsbridge .. upscale.
By quaint, do you want lots of chintz and floral wallpaper ?

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 06:23 PM

A really nice hotel in London for 75 - 90 pounds. Now that would be my idea of what I call a "crazy price". Is that your idea too? A not so crazy price would be more like 150 pounds.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Price - up to $400 per night if possible. Mayfair / Knightbridge in terms of neighbourhood. Maybe using the word quaint not appropriate - not looking for B & B floral. Maybe small boutique hotel would be a better description, a small Four Season's.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 06:58 PM

A small Four Season's -- hmm. The Duke's Hotel sounds just like what you want. Only problem is last I knew their rates STARTED at 300 pounds a night, that's getting very close to $600.

You might look at the Radisson Edwardian Hotels.
http://www.radissonedwardian.com
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 07:03 PM

No idea what prices are anymore but we stayed at The Washington Hotel on Curzon St, Mayfair .. loved it. Not quaint but spacious luxurious rooms with art deco furniture..we loved it. *Price being crazy at this hotel is very possible though*
We really liked the St James which has changed owners and might be even more expensive, on Buckingham Gate..
Dukes is fabulous...sigh...

Next time we go to London, I want to rent NeoPatricks apt in Covent Garden
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 07:12 PM

There are two hotels in the JDB Hotels collection in London that meet your price range. (JDB has very nice but just-under-five-star properties with very good exclusive offers).

In particular, the Beaufort is a four star property in Knightsbridge just 100 yards from Harrods. JDB is offering a three-night package at The Beaufort in a Deluxe Double room for 785 GBP total. That rate includes three nights accommodations, a Harrods voucher for 50 GBP, complimentary afternoon tea, complimentary drinks, breakfast daily, and tax and service.

The bad news is that JDB only sells through travel agents, but if you email, I know of a TA who makes reservations for me without a booking fee.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 09:19 PM

Check out The Goring Hotel; it's lovely... definitely what I'd call a boutique hotel. I think I've seen ads for "discount" rates on Trip Advisor.

http://www.goringhotel.co.uk/home.htm
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:36 PM

don't worry about the whole 'quaint' thing. it does bother a few insular, ethnocentric types who still like to think of britain as grand, but most of us know what you mean and can deal with it without being offended. some of us even accept that most things in britain are quaint.

look into the charlotte street hotel...where the famous stay. 50 rooms and in a great area...although not exactly where you describe but very close. lots of good restaurants very close by and i would prefer this area to knightsbridge/mayfair.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Pav

SusanD, a little further West, in Kensington, is The ParkCity. Their website is theparkcity.com
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 01:14 AM

A bit over your budget but what I think matches perfectly what you're looking for is the Stafford.

http://www.thestaffordhotel.co.uk/

Also check out the Cadogan. They have special packages which might make it squeeze into what you want to pay.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 01:34 AM

Don't bother with Charlotte Street Hotel, the service there is utterly abysmal.

I don't get why you want a boutique hotel in a city that does grand hotels best! There are lots of these "trendy" properties scattered around the place - Soho, Kensington, St James's, Covent Garden, The City....

Instead, I'd advise you stay in a smaller grand property, i.e. not The Savoy. Claridge's is probably too expensive for your budget, however, The Connaught (in Mayfair) often has sub-200GBP rates available, and it fits your criteria of being a smaller property!
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 01:49 AM

You might try Http://www.londonnights.com
they offer some real upscale hotels for good prces. We've stayed at the Sydney House in Chelsea and really liked the location and the rooms.

http://www.londonnights.com/london-h...se-chelsea.htm
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 04:47 AM

I would try B&B Belgravia on Ebury Street In Belgravia. Very nice place an it does not get much better and safer than the Belgravia area of London.

Alternatively you could try www.londonvacationguide.com as an alternative resource of finding what you require.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 06:12 AM

Also www.luxurylink.com offers pretty good deals on upscale London hotels, it is a bid website that often includes breakfasts.